JDM Legacy 2.0 GT Twin Scroll Manual and OBD2

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

JDM Legacy 2.0 GT Twin Scroll Manual and OBD2

Postby Graphite » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:35 am

Hi I have been looking at using the android Torque app and a bluetooth transmitter on my 2004 JDM twinscroll Legacy. It gets as far as seeing the ECU and reports OK - but the car icon stays black and I don't get any readings at all.

So the first question is - is the JDM version OBD2 compliant?

Thanks 8)
2.0 GT spec.B BP5 with a few mods...
... And now I will show you the most excellent way... 1 Corinthians 12 v 31.......
Graphite

Car: Legacy (Liberty) 2.0GT spec.B JDM 04

Re: JDM Legacy 2.0 GT Twin Scroll Manual and OBD2

Postby Jubaeg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 am

Hi - I'm also a somewhat frustrated Torque/OBDII person.

Do you know if the bluetooth pairs?

I can't answer your query, however I would check the Torque forums - if you can turn on logging in Torque you can actually email the logs to the developer of Torque (Ian Hawkins) who is pretty responsive - that is assuming you've purchased the app?

I'd also check out the LegacyGT forums in the US as there is a resonable amount of dialogue there to do with getting Torque going.

I went the el-cheapo route of buying a ~$15 bluetooth/OBDII adapter which works fine on my Honda, but doesn't get anywhere with my car (AUDM MY04 Liberty GT - Auto).

I've come to the conclusion that my adapter can't read the SSM (special subaru something), whereas if you actually spend some money and buy a proper adapter like the OBD-KEY or PLX Wiki then it should work.

I've held off for the moment while I tinker in other areas of the car (plus life and a young family get in the way), but will probably buy one of these at some point.

Good luck and let us know if you have any success?
Matthew
Jubaeg

Car: Liberty MY04 GT wagon semi-auto

Postby Hotwire » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:21 pm

No it is not OBD2 compliant.

USDM cars were required to be OBD2 compliant however JDM, AUDM were not - so the generic OBD scanners do nothing on our cars. You need a specific SSM product, none of which are available for the iphone/android app market I believe (havent looked for a little while now though)
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Postby Jubaeg » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks for confirming that Lee. I still have some hopes on the OBD-Key / PLX products but ideally would like to confirm that they can read SSM before I purchase.

My father has a spare scangauge that I'm going to borrow at some point, however I really liked the idea of bluetooth and Android as I have a 7" Android tablet that I'd like to install so that it can be a versatile all-in-one device.

I'll keep on dreaming...
Jubaeg

Postby Graphite » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:04 am

LegacyDan replied to me on legacyGT.com forum saying that he has used an ebay OBD2 cable on his car and it works - so that tends to indicate OBD2 compliance is working!

The bluetooth pairs fine with my phone and it gets all the way to saying it is connected with the ECU which is confusing.

Another thought I had was that since my car is EcuTeK mapped - that maybe that was causing a problem - Dan also said he failed to be able to use his cable to read another car that had been mapped with EcuTeK software... :?
... And now I will show you the most excellent way... 1 Corinthians 12 v 31.......
Graphite

Postby Jubaeg » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:19 am

LOL - yes I preuse the LegacyGT forums and these and so saw your cross-post and replies there as well.

What appears to happen is that the OBD and bluetooth do work, its just that our particular models appear to not communicate much and so we need to somehow tap into the SSM which is why I suggested the more expensive products as they appear to be able to communicate with SSM and then broadcast it, whereas the cheaper purple and orange bluetooth OBD devices seem to be a bit hit and miss. I think I have similar frustration to you in that it pairs and can do a level of communication with OBD but that it in terms of no further communication and so Torque is unfortunately inert.

Not sure regarding the EcuTek mapping and whether this has any impact on things. I'd hesitantly say it shouldn't have any impact but I really don't know enough to know what I'm talking about!

Obviously the factory Subaru can use the OBD socket to communicate with the car with no issues, so I tend to think it is the SSM that is the issue and that we need a smarter device that can read the SSM and then broadcast this signal so that Torque can pick it up.

Let us know if you do have success - at some point I'll probably spend some actual money on either the OBD-Key or PLX device - the PLX is slightly cheaper as they have about USD$50 off at the moment, but I don't want to endlessly buy these things and to then hit another brick wall...

A sentiment on these forums (which I tend to agree with) is that these are reasonably expensive cars and we shouldn't skimp on $50-60 when in the big picture it isn't that great an expense.

Matthew
Jubaeg

Postby Graphite » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:16 am

Sorry - £74 is the cheapest I can find for a PLX Kiwi - and no guarantee it will do anything with my car...

Found this - doesn't look promising... http://www.plxdevices.com/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=4411

and this http://www.palmerperformance.com/forum/ ... pic=3131.0

BUT - this looks interesting... http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65- ... m-tcu.html FreeSSM :shock:

Haven't read it all yet - but will be doing... 8)
Graphite

Postby Jubaeg » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for the intel.

Interesting regarding FreeSSM. I think I'll pass for the moment on that one though as it is computer (WIn/Mac/Linux) based and not Android and I was hoping to stick with my Android. They also say that you should use the "Vag-Com KKL 409.1" cable which although can do a USB connector you'd need an Android device that has a host-USB port and most don't - well mine doesn't anyway.

Given OBDKey are in the UK why don't you contact them directly and ask - you never know you may be able to drive to them and try before you buy?

Good luck.

Matthew
Jubaeg

Postby Graphite » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:27 am

Jubaeg wrote:Thanks for the intel.

Interesting regarding FreeSSM. I think I'll pass for the moment on that one though as it is computer (WIn/Mac/Linux) based and not Android and I was hoping to stick with my Android. They also say that you should use the "Vag-Com KKL 409.1" cable which although can do a USB connector you'd need an Android device that has a host-USB port and most don't - well mine doesn't anyway.

Given OBDKey are in the UK why don't you contact them directly and ask - you never know you may be able to drive to them and try before you buy?

Good luck.

Matthew

I have only just got interested in this since finding the Torque app available on my Desire HD - looked like a good toy to me :mrgreen: and £12 for a BT connector was not too bad either... spending some real money... well I want it to actually give some useful info - or do more than just cancel a check engine light if you know what I mean :wink: But I'm learning a bit here just investigating this...

Interesting - we may be getting closer... :) I didn't really know anything about OBDKey - most of the recommendations I have seen are for PLX Kiwi...

Just checking the OBDKey website and found on this page - http://www.obdkey.com/vehiclediagnostics.asp

Supports Subaru SSM (4800) protocol
- Now is that what we need???

I have tried to phone him - looks like a flat in finchley from the google location :wink: but no answer on phone...

Sent a web message...

Hi - I have just recently got interested in this type of product to use with my Subaru Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B (JDM twinscroll) 2004 - I have tried 'Torque' with my HTC Desire HD using an ELM327 BT Module. It does not seem to be able to read the ECU although it says it is connected...
Your web documentation says that your system can read 'Subaru SSM (4800) protocol' will this then work with my JDM Legacy?
The other thing that may have an influence is that my ECU is EcuTeK mapped - would that have an influence on readability?

I have tried to phone you to discuss this but could not get an answer.

I await your comments with interest, I have posted on various Subaru enthusiast forums to find out how we can show the engine data on android apps - it would be great to start getting somewhere with some real answers...

Thanks for your time

I'll let you know if I get any response...

Trouble is that these modules are pretty expensive £103.56 delivered in the UK! :shock: OK for a working unit - but (for me) a bit expensive for a dashboard toy - especially since I don't know if it would work, or what it will give me if it does work... :lol: - There would be major marital disharmony :? :lol:
Graphite

Postby Jubaeg » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:05 am

Excellent - very interested in seeing the response from OBD-Key. I had exactly the same thoughts on wanting to only spend a small amount on a cheap gadget and so far I've gotten absolutely nowhere!

This diagramme is interesting in that you can determine which type of protocol the car runs by the wiring of the ports.

Of course when you get a response that doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to be compatible with the AUDM ECU etc but I'm hoping it is. It is £90.60 to ship to AUS as we don't pay VAT, but I'm a bit wary of doing the currency exchange as I think that is way over AUD$200 which means I have exactly the same thoughts as you - too expensive and majr marital disharmony.

I'm also thinking that I may eventually go with wifi rather than bluetooth if I do eventually 'man up' and spend some money on this as there are also numerous comments on forums mentioning the slow connection speed of Bluetooth whereas wifi has a lot greater bandwidth and so shouldn't be a limiting factor.

I'd also ask the developer of Torque and read through the Torque forums as I think he also leans towards OBD-KEY as opposed to the common ebay bluetooth devices.

I've had my MY04 GT wagon since early January this year and there are continual complaints that I spend too much time each weekend on the car so I have to balance out which things are worth it in terms of copping flak.

Good luck.
Jubaeg

Postby Graphite » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:07 am

I have posted a thread on the Torque forums here... http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforumac ... c&t=1766.0

Will the wiFi version work with android?

I am expecting to be visiting OZ next Christmas - so I might get a unit sent out there if it's cheaper! :shock: LOL :lol:

I only recently got my 2004 wagon - Nov 2011 8) They are very addictive.. :wink:
Graphite

Postby Jubaeg » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:22 am

I see no reason why the Wifi version wouldn't work with Android in that Android can work with wireless networks and you are just connecting to a fixed IP address for the device being:
WiFi Configuration Technical Information - Ad hoc Mode
SSID: OBDKey WLAN
IP: 192.168.0.74
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Port: 23
Antenna: Internal
Power Consumption: 0.240 Watts
Wifi Standard: 802.11b/g

But I'm just guessing and don't know 100%.

Will be interesting to see if you get anywhere further on the Torque forum.

Did you get any response from OBD-Key? I guess if they have a return policy if it doesn't work then that would make it slightly more palatable...

OZ trip - you're welcome to ship to me!
Jubaeg

Postby legacydan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:31 am

ill be buying a bluetooth obd2 dongle soon enough and will let you know how i get on, i cant see why it wouldnt work, i can read and log and flash through my obd2 port in my car so i would simply be replacing the obd2 to usb cable with a bluetooh dongle which should not make a difference. I'll let you guys know how i get on. no ecutek on mine anymore so if i can get it to work, its a problem with your ecu maybe :)

or else its a limitation of the Torque app, if i connect with romraider logger via bluetooth dongle and not to torque we will know the issue. Maybe you could try connect learning view or romraider over bluetooth, send me an email if you dont know about either of those apps :D
legacydan

Car: Legacy b4 jdm import

Postby Graphite » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:09 am

I've just received a BT USB dongle for my laptop yesterday. Tried it out with ScanTool.net for windows (came on CD with the BT OBD2 Dongle) and FreeSSM and neither could connect to the ECU.

FreeSSM is designed to work with the VAG cable - I have ordered one of those as well :roll: LOL - so hopefully I'll see whether that is a good connection - be nice to find a starting point that works...

Maybe David Hendry Cars who did the mapping can shed some light on it. I've just sent them a copy of the V5C in my name and they have promised to send the documentation they have from when the car was with them...

I was hoping to get some connectivity going for when I go to a LADS rolling road day at Prosport in a couple of weeks time - would be nice to be able to get 'my own' copy of the data :mrgreen:
Graphite

Postby Graphite » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:27 am

Jubaeg wrote:I see no reason why the Wifi version wouldn't work with Android in that Android can work with wireless networks and you are just connecting to a fixed IP address for the device being:
WiFi Configuration Technical Information - Ad hoc Mode
SSID: OBDKey WLAN
IP: 192.168.0.74
Subnet: 255.255.0.0
Port: 23
Antenna: Internal
Power Consumption: 0.240 Watts
Wifi Standard: 802.11b/g

But I'm just guessing and don't know 100%.

Will be interesting to see if you get anywhere further on the Torque forum.

Did you get any response from OBD-Key? I guess if they have a return policy if it doesn't work then that would make it slightly more palatable...

OZ trip - you're welcome to ship to me!

No response from OBDKey yet...

Did you realise the WiFi version is twice the price of the BT one? :shock: £204.76 !
Graphite

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific