Intemittent rough idle MY04 GT - FIXED

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Intemittent rough idle MY04 GT - FIXED

Postby snaza » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi All,

I have an intermittent rough idle issue. It's happened twice now at random times but cant replicate it. I pulled up at the lights and the car started shaking and idling really low, eventually stalling. The first time it started happening i drove it straight to the mechanic. It came good after while. They spent 5 hours and found nothing. plugs, coil packs, hose leaks all fine and nothing showing on the computer. They did run a injector cleaning kit. A week later it did it again but came good after a few minutes. Its just an idle issue, once the car gets going it runs fine. Took it to Subaru and they found noting on the computer and suggested they should do the following;

replace AFM
replace in tank fuel filter
reset ECU and base idle
remove and clean injectors

Total cost is about $2000 :cry:

This was just something to try and they reckon it will probably fix the problem. No way i'm going to waste $2k on a guess.

Past 2 mornings i've noticed my car runs crap going up my hill. I can hear the engine misfiring but once i get up the hill and and revs get up a bit it runs fine again. Thinking back the 2 times I had idle issues was about 5 mins or less from a cold start.

I'm outta idea's. I've read all the rough idle threads here and most seem to be injector issues. Should i get them ultra sonic cleaned?

thanks

Aaron
Last edited by snaza on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
snaza

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Silver

Re: Intemittent rough idle MY04 GT

Postby Dropz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:11 pm

If it hasn't been done start with the fuel filter. If you add some throttle when its rough what happens?
Built not bought, it's a way of life.
Dropz

Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17921

Postby snaza » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Dropz wrote:If it hasn't been done start with the fuel filter. If you add some throttle when its rough what happens?

if i add some thottle its fine.
snaza

Postby Dropz » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Could be related to iacv. Maybe get a Subaru upper engine cleaner can and spray it through the throttle body.
Dropz

Postby teflon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:43 am

I'm far from an expert, but this is most likely the O2 sensor at the top of the dump pipe isn't it? Several members here have gone through more than one.

You could always try to clean the AFM sensor with some electrical contact cleaner/MAF cleaner as well.

Barring an injector overhaul, you could get an O2 sensor and AFM from Phat for under $450, install them yourself and see if that fixes the problem? And I assume all they do to reset the ECU is unplug the battery??? How much will your local mechanic charge to clean the injectors (as a last resort)?
teflon

Car: 2004 MY05 Pearl White Liberty GT

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:53 am

There are lots of thread about this if you do some searching using the search function. Cleaning the injectors would be the last option and some options are free, cleaning the MAF sensor. Where are you based?
Visit Sex Shop & Support My Mods.
Ben

Car: 2.0 STi

Postby snaza » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:38 am

Dropz wrote:Could be related to iacv. Maybe get a Subaru upper engine cleaner can and spray it through the throttle body.

thanks but i actually just had that cleaned
snaza

Postby snaza » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:47 am

teflon wrote:I'm far from an expert, but this is most likely the O2 sensor at the top of the dump pipe isn't it? Several members here have gone through more than one.

You could always try to clean the AFM sensor with some electrical contact cleaner/MAF cleaner as well.

Barring an injector overhaul, you could get an O2 sensor and AFM from Phat for under $450, install them yourself and see if that fixes the problem? And I assume all they do to reset the ECU is unplug the battery??? How much will your local mechanic charge to clean the injectors (as a last resort)?

Thanks mate, Just spoke with the subaru guy at Capalaba brisbane (forgot his name) and he said he doubts its the O2 censor as it would show computer errors. He said he can loan me an AFM to see if that helps.

I'll talk to my normal mechanic today find out about and proper injector clean
snaza

Postby snaza » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:48 am

Ben wrote:There are lots of thread about this if you do some searching using the search function. Cleaning the injectors would be the last option and some options are free, cleaning the MAF sensor. Where are you based?

im in brisbane. the AFM sensor is clean
snaza

Postby teflon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:53 am

snaza wrote:Thanks mate, Just spoke with the subaru guy at Capalaba brisbane (forgot his name) and he said he doubts its the O2 censor as it would show computer errors. He said he can loan me an AFM to see if that helps.

There are several examples of members not having a fault code but the fault being the O2 sensor so I wouldn't write it off. Russell at Subievolution is pretty good (brendale way though). But if you're willing to drive try Michael at Toowoomba (OPMSport) as well. A mate of mine, same model car as you, same problem (+ fuel economy gone to crap) had the front O2 sensor replaced after he brought the car to Michael with that problem and it fixed it. Several workshops (including Mercury) couldn't work out what was going on. Have you noticed any problems with fuel economoy prior to the rough idle issue?
teflon

Car: 2004 MY05 Pearl White Liberty GT

Postby snaza » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:11 am

teflon wrote:
snaza wrote:Thanks mate, Just spoke with the subaru guy at Capalaba brisbane (forgot his name) and he said he doubts its the O2 censor as it would show computer errors. He said he can loan me an AFM to see if that helps.

There are several examples of members not having a fault code but the fault being the O2 sensor so I wouldn't write it off. Russell at Subievolution is pretty good (brendale way though). But if you're willing to drive try Michael at Toowoomba (OPMSport) as well. A mate of mine, same model car as you, same problem (+ fuel economy gone to crap) had the front O2 sensor replaced after he brought the car to Michael with that problem and it fixed it. Several workshops (including Mercury) couldn't work out what was going on. Have you noticed any problems with fuel economoy prior to the rough idle issue?

Thanks again. Fuel ecconomy hasn't been any worse than before (about 450/tank around town) and up to 700km highway. I'll talk to them about the 02 sensor
snaza

Postby Dropz » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:43 pm

Youngy69 mentioned it can be o2 with no code.

Give it a shot
Dropz

Postby jimbo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:48 pm

O2 sensor on the dump. Happened in mine, didn't show any fault codes at first they only came up when it basically failed. Phat has these at the moment for a very cheap price for what they normally go for. Fixed my issue right up and has been good ever since
Blue Holden SS-V ute.....stock for now
jimbo

Car: VE SS-V Ute

Postby Robbks » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:58 pm

Dropz wrote:Could be related to iacv. Maybe get a Subaru upper engine cleaner can and spray it through the throttle body.

DBW has no IACV

but cleaning the Throttle body isn;t a bad option anyway
-Remove the plugs, inspect and replace them anyway,
-inspect all the boots and connections on the coilpacks

The car has both o2 Narrow-band (near Cat) and AF wide(er)-band sensors (top of dump) either may have an intermittent fault

does it happen when cold, hot or intermittently both?

check for intake/ exhaust/ vacuum leaks
leaky BOV,
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby snaza » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Robbks wrote:

DBW has no IACV

but cleaning the Throttle body isn;t a bad option anyway
-Remove the plugs, inspect and replace them anyway,
-inspect all the boots and connections on the coilpacks

The car has both o2 Narrow-band (near Cat) and AF wide(er)-band sensors (top of dump) either may have an intermittent fault

does it happen when cold, hot or intermittently both?

check for intake/ exhaust/ vacuum leaks
leaky BOV,

Hi mate,

the 2 times it happend was less than 5 mins of driving. I noticed that when its cold and driving up my hill first thing in the morning it cuts out / pings and runs like crap if the revs are less than 2500rpm. once it warms up its seems ok

they mechanic checked plugs and coil packs
snaza

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific