CEL and cruise light flashing

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

CEL and cruise light flashing

Postby MY05WAGON » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:21 pm

Hi boys and girls

Got my car booked in for a service and some warranty work this wed.
Just wondering if any other 2.0GT owners have had the CEL come on with the cruise light flashing? (only happened once) if so, what was the remedy the dealership used to rectify the fault? I contacted a dealership and they said they've had a few gt's with this particular fault which required the AFM to be replaced.
Just wanted to get an idea before i go in if there was anything else that could have been the cause with other members GT's, i have heard of dodgy front 02 sensors being a problem too.

Cheers any feedback will be great

Mik
MY05WAGON

Postby fish_boy79 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:39 pm

either O2 or AFM. you dont have aftermarket exhaust do you?
fish_boy79

Postby MY05WAGON » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:42 pm

Only the mufflers but they are off the car now anyway.
MY05WAGON

Postby tangcla » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:46 pm

I was told it was the A/F ratio sensor. Cost me ~$500 to get fixed.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby gt_dicko » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:49 pm

I had the Cruise and Set light flash, but can't recall the CEL flashing. Cruise control stopped working too.
I just pulled over, turned the car off and started it again, and it seemed to fix the problem.
MY04 GT 5AT - SOLD
gt_dicko

Postby MY05WAGON » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:51 pm

cars still under NCW so hopefully they will change something instead of resetting the ecu and hoping it doesnt come back. I did ring for a price on just the front 02 sensor a while back and it was somewhere around the 350 mark, i presume a AFM would be a bit more.

Any symptoms from this problem?
MY05WAGON

Postby MY05WAGON » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:55 pm

gt_dicko wrote:I had the Cruise and Set light flash, but can't recall the CEL flashing. Cruise control stopped working too.
I just pulled over, turned the car off and started it again, and it seemed to fix the problem.

CEL was steady with the cruise flashing. After i turned the vehice off then back on CEL was off but cruise was flashing. I have read somewhere before that when a CEL comes on it only keeps the log for X amount of kilometres then clears, i hope this isnt the case.
MY05WAGON

Postby gt_dicko » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:57 pm

MY05WAGON wrote:
CEL was steady with the cruise flashing. After i turned the vehice off then back on CEL was off but cruise was flashing. I have read somewhere before that when a CEL comes on it only keeps the log for X amount of kilometres then clears, i hope this isnt the case.

I'd be surprised if this was the case, most ECU's hold any codes until they are reset at service.
MY04 GT 5AT - SOLD
gt_dicko

Postby MY05WAGON » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:59 pm

gt_dicko wrote:
MY05WAGON wrote:

I'd be surprised if this was the case, most ECU's hold any codes until they are reset at service.

i hope you are right. Seems illogical otherwise. Internet can be a great source of useful and unuseful info
MY05WAGON

Re: CEL and cruise light flashing

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:26 pm

MY05WAGON wrote:Hi boys and girls

Got my car booked in for a service and some warranty work this wed.
Just wondering if any other 2.0GT owners have had the CEL come on with the cruise light flashing? (only happened once) if so, what was the remedy the dealership used to rectify the fault? I contacted a dealership and they said they've had a few gt's with this particular fault which required the AFM to be replaced.
Just wanted to get an idea before i go in if there was anything else that could have been the cause with other members GT's, i have heard of dodgy front 02 sensors being a problem too.

Cheers any feedback will be great

Mik

I had this and it was a dead O2 sensor. Replaced under warranty. Next time I won't be so lucky since my warranty is now up. And I would not be surprised if there was a next time given how common it seems.
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby Rosso » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:55 pm

Yep happened to my Gt, o2 sensor replaced under warranty & was told it is a known common problem with the gen iv's.
Cheers,

Rosso.

#135/300 MY07 GT Spec B Tuned by Sti Sedan
Obsidian Black Pearl w/Charcoal Rims, 6MT.
Rosso

Postby lordsnipe » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:30 pm

Yep, faulty O2 sensor which was replaced and a 'reflash' of the ECU. Got this done as part of the used warranty as I didn't buy the car new.
lordsnipe

Postby AndrewCowley » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:55 pm

Something I wonder about with the faulty O2 sensor situation is do these give out all of a sudden or is it a gradual thing in which case we spend time driving around with a partly functioning sensor. Surely this must have some effect on performance if the engine isn't getting the right info from the sensor. This annoys me. I want 100% from my car all the time. I wonder is there a way to tell?
MY04 GT Sedan: HKS Panel Filter. AVO TMIC. PHAT Dump Pipe. STi Quads. Pulse Racing ECU Tune. DBA 4000 Slotted Rotors. Dixcel M Pads. Spec B Bilsteins. Swift Sport Springs. Whiteline F&R Swaybars. Whiteline FSB. J Speed LCA Bushes.
AndrewCowley

Postby MY05WAGON » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:58 pm

this 02 sensor seems to be really common problem. I guess the problems it can cause is rough idle and bad fuel economy as it's not giving the correct feedback back to the ecu. I hope the replacement 02 sensors is a revised one as it seems the original ones are a POS.
MY05WAGON

Postby MY05WAGON » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:04 pm

lordsnipe wrote:Yep, faulty O2 sensor which was replaced and a 'reflash' of the ECU. Got this done as part of the used warranty as I didn't buy the car new.

What do you mean by used warranty? as in extended warranty like the ahg ones? if the car is not out of NCW and the first owner sells the vehicle, the next owner is still is entitled to the NCW. I hope this is the case, were you out of pocket for the repairs?
MY05WAGON

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific