SUB. Aust. Replaced my short engine..

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

SUB. Aust. Replaced my short engine..

Postby WhiteGTB » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:32 am

Hi, just wanted to share an experience I had with my GT a few months ago....

March 07, had my 100,000kms service performed by Denlo, all went well and completed, so timing belt, all the filters etc.. etc.. still under warranty.

April 07, out of warranty

May07, went to Canberra and on the way back my car died, literally. Would not start, I was on the highway from Canberra to Goulbourn and the car starting to make this loud clacking noise... sounded like tappets on an old car going.. I wasn't sure and not much I could do, I slowed down and lucky for me I came up to the Goulbourn exit. Limped the car to the Mobil petrol station and stuck there for 3 hours.. $500 later, car arrived home via a tow truck. Next working day, the two truck took it into Subaru.

Subaru advised my engine had failed due to bad petrol.... apparently I had put bad fuel into my engine.. NOW THIS REALLY ANNOYED ME. I told them I had purchased two Subaru's (WRX 05 and GT 04) of Denlo, both times under lease so a Shell Card came with it, EVERYTIME it was Optimax, nothing less. No mods, stock standard.

Emails back and fourth for a few weeks, I got Subaru Australia involved (apparently the same mob too - Inchcape) Finally they advised that Subaru Australia would pay for all the parts, so entire new short engine, fuel pump but I would be hit for labour...

Anyways it was a bitter sweet experience. What can I say, I am still a devoted fan of Subaru... love their product and the customer service of Subaru Denlo I couldn't fault.

Anyone have any similar experiences?
WhiteGTB

Car: MY07 Legacy GT Spec B 6pd

Postby gt_dicko » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:35 am

"Bad Fuel" Sounds like a bit of a cop out.
I've just gone over 105K and no problems so far... touch wood.
MY04 GT 5AT - SOLD
gt_dicko

Postby WhiteGTB » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:38 am

Yeap, that is what I said also about the "bad fuel".

They replaced the engine even though it was out of warranty due to good will and always servicing it with them.

Also they did mention that it would cost them abit of money to prove it was bad fuel, so they would rather supply the new short engine then go down that path....
WhiteGTB

Car: MY07 Legacy GT Spec B 6pd

Postby tangcla » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:54 am

Ask them to reset your odometer too! ;)
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby kneedragger » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:09 am

I had a new motor after a big end bearing let go at about 35000klms. Took 3 months to get that rebuilt and was generally a pain dealing with Subaru ( In particular one dealership)

Good to hear you got a good result.
kneedragger

Postby coyote » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:45 pm

Subaru Australia (Inchcape) forgot about customer service around 1999 when wrx really took off, Forester and Outback had no competitor and there was no Mazda 6.

The market has changed recently and if they don't .. well you do the maths.
coyote

Postby Ric » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:18 pm

My dealer (Glen Waverley in Melbourne) is part of Inchcape, and I couldn't be happier with the support I've got from them.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Return to 2.0T engine specific