Exedy Clutch kit... including SMF

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Exedy Clutch kit... including SMF

Postby pyro13 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:27 am

My Clutch went on me about a month ago... it was squealing like a bitch, and later the clutch would not release, the pedal was flat to the floor and you had to flick the pedal back with your foot which was a tad annoying...it turned out do be the release bearing and it was busted pretty badly.... of got some pics of the shredded bearing, and the new exedy kit i put in... which ill post soon... but just to let people know, that exedy do make a SMF for the 04-06 EJ20T.... the part number for the flywheel is fjf530.. the clutch was the standard OEM clutch they have.... the car feels great.... its been about a month now since it was installed... it pulls alot better off the mark now.... and the clutch feel is much better too.... SMF is a heaps better option. cost was abit over $1300 for the whole kit including thrust/release bearing and spigot bearing.... pics will be up soon..
pyro13

Car: MY06 Liberty GT tb STI

Re: Exedy Clutch kit... including SMF

Postby legacydan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:13 am

I got the same setup in mine, find it a lot better than the standard setup
legacydan

Car: Legacy b4 jdm import

Postby chris_szybiak » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:05 pm

pyro13 how is the clutch still? getting my done at the moment with the same kit. just want to know what to expect! thanks :)
chris_szybiak

Postby LGT-05T » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 pm

hi guys,
my clutch started to go the other day. i was on the highway doing about 70-80 k's, then put the foot down and i thought i had my foot on the clutch but it was just reving out and not mooving. anyway rang up a few locals to ask about a clutch and they all said around 2 to 3k to get one in and replace, the flywheel will be extra. only one bloke told me he could get a kit to change it to SMF instead of DMF, but i just done a search on net and i heard that one of the reasons they put dual mass in was to limiting vibrations and noise. do you guys have any changes in vibrtions or noise and what would u recommend me doing? sticking to DMF OR SMF? and what brand is good? should i go EXEDY HEAVY DUTY or what???????
please help!
cheers steve
-----------Image----------
LGT-05T

Car: 05 GT

Postby kiahatsiu » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Did you know? Other subarus run the same 5 speed with a single mass flywheel. A trip to the wreckers will yeild you that flywheel. Buy a clutch to suit. Spend the balance on cocain and strippers.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby LGT-05T » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:34 pm

no, i didn't, but what was the reason for change? also were they libertys and would a wrx one fit?

cheers steve
LGT-05T

Postby norbs » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:26 am

Getting an Xtreme HD clutch and lightened flywheel put in this Tuesday. I'll report back after the install.
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Postby rayray » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:05 pm

I went the Exedy Standard duty SMF clutch option abit overa year ago... mine was slipping in any gear so it was well gone. Exedy couldn't supply the flywheel so my mechanics organised to get one from a wrecker same day and it saved a fair few $$'s too. Props to ACT Brake and Clutch in Belcompton, ACT for their prompt and fair pricing.

It was much better than it ever was beforein terms of take off etc. although I imagine the clutch was on its way out when I bought the car.

Vibration, I can't say I noticed any difference at all. Its done around 25000 kms since then so its pretty well bedded in.

Overall really happy with the exercise.
rayray

Car: MY05 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby kiahatsiu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:42 am

I changed to the smf as it makes the engine a lot more responsive. I cannot offer a back to back appraisal as I did a lot of other mech work at the same time. I recommend talking to any non Subaru dealership Subaru expert and they will be able to point you in the right direction. I used a&m auto at noosaville, did great work. I am sure phat would have an opinion in this, I have casually observed he has a vast working knowledge of subarus.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby LGT-05T » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:12 pm

just pm'ed Micheal (PHAT GT) for an opinion aswell.
LGT-05T

Postby cooki_monsta » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:15 am

Exedy HD or Xtreme HD?
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Postby fibble » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 pm

I have an Exedy HD and my cousin had an Extreme Hd - both on 05 GTs 5 speed box.

The Exedy felt a little better to use - less abrupt on the take up.
fibble

Car: GT

Postby thiele » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:39 pm

I was looking at getting a Exedy HD clutch for my 5MT 05 GT.
Is this one of these things that I'm going to have to sell one of my kidneys for cash to pay for?
05' Liberty GT Wagon 2.0L - Cobb Air Intake, TCP auto custom Quad Tips, Kido Tune, Liberty Spec B 18" rims, Spec B taillights.
thiele

Car: 05' Liberty GT Wagon

Postby qship » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:56 pm

fibble wrote:I have an Exedy HD and my cousin had an Extreme Hd - both on 05 GTs 5 speed box.

Who did your work and how much was it?
You can lead a fool to knowledge but you cannot make him think!
qship

Car: Lib GT MY06

Postby cooki_monsta » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:42 pm

qship wrote:
fibble wrote:I have an Exedy HD and my cousin had an Extreme Hd - both on 05 GTs 5 speed box.

Who did your work and how much was it?

I installed it myself and bought the single mass conversion kit for $750.
Philips 4000 K Bulbs / Alpine ICS-X7 Mobile Media Station / Pioneer 2-Way Component Speakers and 2-Way Coaxial Speakers / Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch with Single Mass Flywheel / XForce Mufflers / Tein Street Flex Coil-Overs / Subaru 17x8J +53 mm Wheels with 235/40R17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 Tires / Cusco Rear Sway Bar, End Links, and Brackets / DBA T2 Brake Rotors / Project Mu NS Brake Pads

http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/
cooki_monsta

Car: MY05 BL9 > MY08 Z33
Profile URL: http://web.stagram.com/n/cooki_monsta/

Next

Return to 2.0T engine specific