Dump pipe on gt a/t 04

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Re: Dump pipe on gt a/t 04

Postby tangcla » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:53 pm

I'll argue the opposite and say that fitting a downpipe to an unmodded car does very little in my experience.

Also in terms of noise, it's hardly noticeable. I have an AVO downpipe, stock center pipe and STi quad-tip mufflers and the difference is that it's raspier when you step on it, which i like.
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Postby Arith » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 pm

tangcla wrote:I'll argue the opposite and say that fitting a downpipe to an unmodded car does very little in my experience.

While you do feel it respond a bit quicker due to better spooling, I reckon the centre pipe and mufflers are too restrictive to produce any real improvements, albeit still a bit better than a completely stock setup. After moving to a 3" centre pipe and the noise level got unbearable, I went back to the stock centre temporarily while trying to decide to get a 2.5" setup or go back to the K2 Gear centre. And boy, it's as if someone stuck bananas in the exhaut tips. Stomp on it and it just didn't respond or go anywhere like it used. Chucked out the stock centre the next day.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby tangcla » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 pm

What diameter is the stock centre pipe?

... nah :P I like the car quiet, I won't change centre pipe.

100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Postby Arith » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:02 am

Although the K2 Gear centre is a dual 2" pipes running in parallel, it's actually pretty quiet, especially when considering it's paired up with the Phat dump pipe and mufflers. A lot better than stock at least, and a step below the 3" setup. It helps to have a large mini-muffler in the middle as well. :D

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby 04GTLIB » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:41 am

tangcla wrote:I'll argue the opposite and say that fitting a downpipe to an unmodded car does very little in my experience.

I have to agree with you there Clarence.

When I originally had the full exhaust system fitted up, it seemed to spool up faster and seemed a little more responsive, but I think it all came down to

the extra noise it was making. :wink:

Everything changed dramatically when I had the ECU tuned the very next day, I drove home in a totally different car. :mrgreen:

As I said back in my second post......
04GTLIB wrote:Install a dump pipe and have the ECU re tuned, you definitely won't be disappointed.

Cheers,
Rusty.
Last edited by 04GTLIB on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
Coming soon - Spec B front - Kinugawa turbo upgrade
04GTLIB

Car: MY04 GT Liberty Wagon

Postby 04GTLIB » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:49 am

tangcla wrote:... nah :P I like the car quiet, I won't change centre pipe.

Clarence.
You could always run a 3" centre section with twin resonators.
This size/style centre fitted with the STI muffler's sound great. I should have taken a sound clip of this set up when I was running it. :roll:
Cheers,
Rusty.
19" Koya wheels - STI front lip - STI Scuff Plates - STI Shift Knob - STI Pedal Set - Blitz A/C filter - Battery and ABS covers - Hyperflow TMIC - Auto Meter boost gauge and fabricated pod - EXOTIC EXHAUST ceramic coated dump pipe, hi flow cat, 3" centre pipe and fabricated rear mufflers - BC Racing Coil Overs - Phat lower control arm bushes - Whiteline rear camber bushes - Rallitek end links - Valenti LED tail lights - DBA Slotted rotors - QFM pads - Goodridge Brake Lines.
04GTLIB

Postby tangcla » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:20 am

04GTLIB wrote:You could always run a 3" centre section with twin resonators.

Don't really wanna spend any more on the car, I already overshot the brake upgrade budget with F/R Brembo brakes (unnecessary, but they look good :P) so yeah...

tangcla

Postby 04GTLIB » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:29 pm

tangcla wrote:(unnecessary, but they look good :P)

Don't worry about the unnecessary bit Clarence....

If it looks good, that's all that matters. :wink:

Cheers.
04GTLIB

Postby easygt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi clarence,

Nice car you got there and the photograghy are amazing.
I will get the same exhaust setup as yours with the AVO Dump, stock centre pipe and Hitech mufflers, but different muffflers. Don't really know how
loud it will be as I too like it quite. If its too loud I will get the sti mufflers.
I notice you mention you got new brakes, what did they cost you? I'm considering getting better brakes I feel the stock one
are not up to the task.

cheers

Ken
easygt

Car: liberty gt 04

Postby tangcla » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:19 pm

Brembo set up front and rear cost about $2500 in parts with custom anchors and handbrake shoes (that's Brembo calipers F/R, blank STi rotors F/R, rear adaptor, custom made handbrake shoe).

tangcla

Postby SKYHIONPSI » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:38 am

How good are a set of sti quad tips, or GT-B quads, compared with standard GT mufflers? Has anyone done real dyno comparisons between stock, aftermarket or oem mufflers with an after market system from turbo to rear mufflers?

From reading this, and previous knowledge, to get the most gains, a full 3" TBE with a tune will give you the most from this mod. If the tuner can also play around with the shift points through the ecu, you might want to get ths done too, this might sharpen them up a bit and remove the slushiness.

Agreed on what tangles has mentioned earlier, that an untuned car with just a dump will not give you much at all. The standard system from cat-back will still be restrictive and not making full use of the larger diametre dump pipe. I still believe that with turbo cars, the faster the gas can escape the better, none of tihs back pressure bullshit, you want the gases through the turbo and gone, as far as im concerned.
SKYHIONPSI

Postby smythie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:32 pm

easygt wrote:Hi Rusty,

At the moment I have got AVO mufflers but I find them a little drony at low rev. So I heard good things about the hitech, so I got one now and waiting to install it.
It's only a 15 minute job to swap over the mufflers. You don't need to be particularly mechanically minded. Only tools you will need are a couple of spanners (14mm a/f IIRC) and some wd40 or similar. The spanners are used to loosen/tighten the bolts on the muffler/y pipe flange and the wd40 is used to lubricate the rubbers on the hangers.

Getting the car up on some low ramps (or anything stable really - it only needs to be 10-15cm) will make the job a bit easier.

Oh, and if you don't wear glasses, a set of clear glasses to try to keep crap out of your eyes is a good idea
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby easygt » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:47 pm

hi smythie,

Was going to install it myself but I couldn't be bothered. Now I got it installed by avo but not happy as one of the muffler tips was touching the rear bumper and kinder melted a small section.
lucky its under car and not noticeable. Now trying to find out how to align it properly.

Hi Rusty,

I finally got the avo dump pipe, avo cai, avo top mount intercooler and intake pipe and a tune. I'm getting 160kw at the wheels at 3rd gear, the car definately feels more alive and boost comes on earlier.
Just wondering what others are getting with these mods? What turbo upgrade has people done on these cars?
THanks for you for advice on the dump pipe. with the stock center pipe and hitech its is just slightly louder than stock which is what I wanted.

cheers
Ken
easygt

Car: liberty gt 04

Postby tangcla » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:03 am

smythie wrote:Oh, and if you don't wear glasses, a set of clear glasses to try to keep crap out of your eyes is a good idea

So, so true :cool:

tangcla

Previous

Return to 2.0T engine specific