Opinions on upgrades

Posts specific to the 2.0 litre Turbo engine

Opinions on upgrades

Postby Harpaledin » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:06 pm

I have a 2005 gt auto, current upgrades I have is a ceramic dump pipe, throttle happy tune. I'm just wondering if it is worth the money to install a 3 port boost controller, silicon inlet, throttle body hose and a tune. Will it add power/boost?
Harpaledin

Re: Opinions on upgrades

Postby Yowie » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:43 pm

3 port boost controller - more tuner control over the shape of the torque curve heading into full power. Not greater max power.

silicone inlet - perhaps a flow benefit. Easier to work with & install. The OEM inlet can rot out at the entrance to the compressor housing due to accumulated oil. The rotating spigots are handy if you want to install catch cans in inconvenient places.

silicone throttle body hose - good insurance against the inevitable failure of the OEM hose. No performance gain.

a tune - only the 3-port boost controller would cause the need for a re-tune out of this mods list (in my opinion, your tuner will know better)

None of the above will add power or boost. Minor flow benefits will be hard to measure and won't make a dent in the limits that the car is tuned to (eg turbo efficiency range and knock limit for ignition advance).

Personally I would:-

1. save the 3-port for installation when you're due for a re-tune anyway;

2. save the silicone inlet for if that area of the car is getting pulled apart anyway or your OEM hose is chewed/leaking (pain-in-the-@rse removal and installation)

3. grab & install the throttle body hose whenever you like;

4. re-tune next time you need to (eg material changes) or it is convenient.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Re: Opinions on upgrades

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:27 am

Throttlebody hose is a no brainer.
The stock item is very unreliable.
Use quality screw clamps eg oetiker, norma or murray.

Learn to use an app like Btssm or Romraider to health check the car, especially inlet tract leaks.
Then learn diy inlet pressure testing, your car will have leaks.

The stock tmic leaks, replace with aftermarket or re-crimp it, I use parallel pliers for the job.

Chances are if you get the car working 100%, it will drive much better regardless, and be properly ready for the next round of mods and tune :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 2.0T engine specific