Tuning the 3.0R by Xtreme Racing Tuning (Tuner: West_Minist)

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Some USDM Dynoes for 2005+ 3.0R 5EAT

Postby west_minist » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:03 pm

west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Re: Tuning the 3.0R by Xtreme Racing Tuning (Tuner: West_Min

Postby Tradewind » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:05 pm

Thats going very nicely
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby west_minist » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:36 pm

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: review 2
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 20:29:39 -0500
To: XRT

Update: took my car to my local mechanic and had the spark plugs changed, vacuum leak test, o2 sensor and pcv valve checked out. Plugs don’t look like they’ve been changed, everything checked out good.

I had to load stock rom back on the car for a few days so I could do a stock 2nd gear pull for the log and also so my mechanic wont freak out when he hits the gas and realizes this is not a stock car. I’m still getting used to the changes to the drive by wire, my mpg has gone down but that’s due to me flooring the pedal in 1st gear just to feel the power I never had in this car before. People must think I’m trying to race them off the light when my car launches forward when just touching the gas, lol. So far Ed has done an amazing job!!! I’m very happy with the way the car is performing. Just waiting for raptor to get their new set of headers in stock so I can get them and have Ed retune them. The car feels better than ever! The power is great over hills, doesn’t have to shift down to get power, the gear changes are smooth and the sound of the engine now is unreal. I just need to do one more log and gear pull for final results. I can’t believe how fast and fun tuning really is when you have a great tuner that really knows what he’s doing and when he does it he does it right! I can now see why XRT is known as “vicious tuned, driven hard” stay tuned for more updates on my car.
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:18 pm

west_minist

Some recent customers feedback

Postby west_minist » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Breaking the tradition where I posted graphs :), I couldn't restrict myself and had to post some customer feedback that keeps me going as I await 2 big tunes that are turbo related.

RichL - 2005 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning - http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=506
Subject: more logs
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:56:22 -0700
To: Xtreme Racing Tuning

Hey ,

So far The DBW is huge improvement and the torque through the first few gears is good. Since I do a lot highway
driving and encounter cars doing under the speed limit I appreciate a good quick lane change and pass. You have
done allot with what little I have given you it's know wonder that you are the 3.0 guru, I am glad I found you.

Subject: RE: v3
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 14:24:14 -0700

Here's a couple of logs from coming home last night.
First one is standing start getting on the highway, the 2nd is going up and over a small Mt. pass.
Kind of a large file but it was from 2100 ft. to 3300 ft. and down the other side.
On the highway it seems to cruise a lot better and when climbing the torque converter doesn't
seem to kick in as much. I really like the DBW now it feels much more like a cabled throttle.
I know I haven't given a lot of feed back but what you have done is awesome .
RichL

DonaldB - 2005 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning - http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=484
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/new ... &p=1117377

cracklincrotch wrote:So for the last few days I've been working with Ed @ Xtreme Racing Tuning. Got a engine log sent off to him and he asks me,"When was the last time I had the engine serviced?" So I listed off what I've done and when since getting the car. When I woke up this morning I'm thinking to myself that Ed is going to tell me I need new spark plugs.

I came close to changing them a bit more than a month ago. The car had 138,000km on it when I bought it so they should have been changed at 100,000km/60,000mi. So I bought plugs just in case mine appeared as if they hadn't been changed. I took one plug out and I thought it was fine. I showed it to a couple of mechanic friends and they both said it was fine and to put it back in. I returned the new plugs - they were $18.50 plus tax at the dealer. They were going back at that price if I didn't need them.

So back to the engine log. Ed tells me my 3.0R is running between 190-200HP and I'm no more than 175ft-lbs at the wheels. I'm using ethanol-free 91 AKI Esso gasoline. I went over some of the log yesterday afternoon and I half looked at the IAM and thought that at .4 it was a little low. Anyway, here's the link to the engine graphs:

Dealer has the best price around on the NGK ILFR6B plugs. $18.50ish plus tax = $21.28 each times six = $127.68.

No wonder the gas use is nasty. Sure the car wants to take off when I floor it. But apparently I've yet to feel it "take off!" And it's -10C and I have no garage to work in. At least there's no snow on the ground here and the engine will be warm after buying plugs :D

cracklincrotch wrote:I'm still giggling when I punch the gas either way! :D

cardoc wrote:Makes you wonder why Subaru didn't just make it that way from the factory, eh?

cracklincrotch wrote:It's been a week and I'm about to flash v6 from Edward this morning.

When you figure that the car I drive (and every other ECU controlled car) went through 1000s of hours of development, what's another week?

This far into the tune I swear the car is telling me "C'mon! C'mon! Let's go let's go let's go! I wanna RUN!!" like a dog that just brought me a stick.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109 ... ost1512898
I'm still learning how little gas I have to give my car to start moving in a parking lot or drive-thru. All the car wants to do when I touch the gas is drop it's ass and throw itself forwards!

NicolasD - 2007 EDM Subaru Legacy Spec B 3.0R 6MT - Tuning - http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=40&t=507
Subject: Re: ROM file Legacy Spec B EDM 2007
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 14:14:27 +0100 (BST)
To: XtremeRacingTuning

Hi Edward,

The car seems to be more responsive in the low rpm! I have tried only the SI-mode S#. I need to drive it more and test the other SI-mode.

Thx.
Nicolas

Subject: Re: v1
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 15:41:55 +0100 (BST)

Hi Edward,

I have not yet test drive the v1a (just written it to ECU 10 min ago), but with the v0, there are already huge improvement over stock!
I drove 10 min with SI-mode I, the car seems to be driveable now in this mode, before it was just a nightmare and never selected this mode. The car is smoother and more reactive, also less shaking at low RPM, sounds promising!

In S# the car accelerates stronger in the range idle - 4000 RPM, no lag at all, I like it!

Subject: Re: v1
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 22:20:10 +0100 (BST)

Hi Edward,

The car now has more responsive acceleration, even with I mode! Great mod!
When cruising at a constant speed, is it doable to optimize a bit the fuel consumption with the I-mode?
I can try to reload the stock ROM and do some 3rd gear pull again for comparison.

Thanks a lot!
Nicolas

Subject: Re: v1c
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 10:32:54 +0100 (BST)

Hi Edward,

In I mode the car seems to have a slightly improved fuel efficiency. Comparison was done on a typical trip I often do (250 km), same conditions, avg 8.2l/100 km (tuned) vs 8.6l/100 km (stock, I have done this trip 10 times, it was always 8.6l / 100 km).
Next week, I will do an other trip where I have some references for the fuel consumption. Let's see.
So far the improvement over stock is amazing in term of driving pleasure, the car is much more reactive, I and S mode are now useable, great work Edward!

Cheers,
Nicolas

west_minist

Postby west_minist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Updated NicolasD information
west_minist

Postby Tradewind » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Now add some headers :)
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby west_minist » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:52 pm

I think he will.
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Mon May 19, 2014 8:50 am

Dear All:

I am offering a 45% discount to potential customers until the end of the month of June 2014 for tuning.

Please PM me if you are interested.

FYI:-
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=511
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... ?f=6&t=509
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Extending special discounted pricing of XRT Tune until the end of June 2014
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

RobertF - 2004 ADM Subaru Legacy 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:01 pm

It doesn't get better than this :)

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... 1614#p1614
Subject: Feedback
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 09:40:57 +1000
To: XRT

Hey Ed,
I will mirror what others have said, I was wary of getting the car tuned by an international tuner, but I talked to friends who have had it done to their XT Foresters etc. They assured me it wasn't as big a deal as I was worried about. I contacted Ed, he got back to me straight away, seemed very nice to deal with so that was it, bought the tactrix cable, downloaded the software, logged some driving and away we went.

I am going for economy primarily, however the car is much more responsive, the adjustments made to the drive by wire made the most noticeable difference in my car. Transmission shifts quicker into the next gear, we had a little play around with this as it was slightly clunking into gears with the initial change. It also shifts down quicker when booted. The power has changed too, there is a spike of power at 3000rpm which wasn't there before, really feels like the cams come on and car pulls really hard from 3k onward.

I have also noticed the cruise control works much better with the tune, it doesn't struggle in hilly terrain. When cruising in drive in the hills it doesn't shuffle for gears anymore either, which is a huge plus.

So how did we go with economy? I did a round trip to the coast from Canberra (included spirited run from Tathra up Brown mountain) and managed 10km/L, average pre-tune was 9km/L at best. So highway driving will net even better. Around town the wife has been getting 8.3 to 8.5km/L about 50km more between fills.

Was it worth it? Yes in short it is more economical, more responsive, it feels like a younger less tired car.

Will it pay itself off? in the long run probably but for now the fun factor is high and the wife loves it.

If I had my time again I would get a CAI and Headers from Raptor before tuning. Would see much more power gain from the tune.

Cheers
Rob
west_minist

OutL4w - 2007 USDM Subaru Outback 3.0R 5EAT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:30 pm

http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... 0632#p1612
Subject: RE: Feedback
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 15:16:02 -0400
To: XRT>

Like many people before me, I was a bit wary about having my OB ECU tuned by XRT. After reading the many feedback associated with Edward's work, I decided to hop on the train and get it done. After getting around setting my laptop to speak to my car through the Tactrix cable, me and Edward realized that my ROM was not supported. I thought this was the premature end to my OB tuning but Edward reassured me that he could build the definition and work with it. After he sent me the definition for my ROM, I started logging information and sent him the base logs. Nearly an hour after I was done, I was surprised with the v0 of my new ECU. At the end of our first day of work, we were already at v2 with already so many major changes to the car. The throttle has so much response now that I am actually saving gas in the city. The transmission shifting is much smoother and is also much quicker to drop in lower gears when you floor for a quick overtake. I feel now that I have a much better control over my car. We are not done yet with our tuning, but we are getting there (currently still on v2).

Edward is a pleasure to work with and as others previously stated, the guy never sleep! Wether you're a knowledgable mechanic or a newbie like me, Edward easily adapts to its clients and can answer your every concern. I'd really wish I could exchange a good handshake with him once we're done tuning my OB.
west_minist

GeoffM - 2006 ADM Subaru Liberty 3.0R 6MT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:40 am

west_minist

PeteF - 2006 ADM Subaru Liberty 3.0R 6MT - Tuning

Postby west_minist » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:06 pm

west_minist

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific