Tuning the 3.0R by Xtreme Racing Tuning (Tuner: West_Minist)

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: 3R Tuning

Postby vaccine » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:44 am

what do you concider normal AFR's for NA.
Tuner friend normally aims for around 12.5 + timing to suit.
.. Dave
vaccine

Car: MY05 3RB

Postby west_minist » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:08 am

Fuel affects timing :)

Thats really hard to say per car. I personally would aim for 12.22 at max load and see how fuel affects timing :)
Last edited by west_minist on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby BlackFlatSix05 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:40 am

Edward Millington aka west_minist has my rom and logs. At this point I'd like to advice everyone that we are in the early stage of creating a tune for my car. For anyone who is interested I'd suggest joining his forum and following his work on my car. Link http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... p=826#p826

David.
04 MY05 Obsidian Black 3.0R Spec B Sedan 6MT. Hi Tech Quads, HKS Panel Filter.
Viciously Tuned By Xtreme Racing Tuning, Barbados.
BlackFlatSix05

Car: MY05 3.0 Spec B

Postby west_minist » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:54 am

BlackFlatSix05 wrote:Edward Millington aka west_minist has my rom and logs. At this point I'd like to advice everyone that we are in the early stage of creating a tune for my car. For anyone who is interested I'd suggest joining his forum and following his work on my car. Link http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... p=826#p826

David.

Hey guys,

The research is going well and as expected, but there is a little learning curve on the automatic selection of ECO/Normal mode on the cars, which appears on the JDM model. We have a switch for that and a light on the dash board.

So far all stock data is in. and the first release rom was sent. I really call it a finding rom, because that is what is really is. It has in many changes, but the ign is stock to start finding ign issues. Unlike non 3R, there 3R seems to not have a fuel map that is yet define in definitions and I cannot find it in the rom itself as I use to be part of the development, getting support for JDM roms. So that mean I cannot alter it right now for better cruising, but again, this is prelim data. I believe in version 2 of the rom, we will start to improving cruising. Get the power up if we can, but with a ecu need to run 14.7AFR in ECO mode, that maybe difficult.

Either way, we will see what area under the curve power can be had and how much power was left under the table :) and if general driving performance can be enhance, beside DBW changes, which only occurs in version 0 of the rom and does not need further changes as it is a road car :)

If you need to join, please pm me or post here your usernames used. I closed of registration due to spam.
Last edited by west_minist on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Ok Guys. Finding rom results are in. We made some gains, but I still need to sort ECO Fueling out to get power up. IAM has stabilised higher than before, but we still have pinging and maybe due to the old spark plugs in. Either way, v1 rom will be sent will Ign reduction in affected area and with again fueling changes for research in the ECO area. We will not be touch AVCS until all of the above is completed. Doing one thing at a time :)

Please follow this link as it makes it easy posting and some time it difficult to duplicate information all the time.
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... 2&start=10

Stock Stats

v0 Stats

Blue/Red Lines are v0
1st Gear Dyno - v0 vs Stock
v0 vs Stock - 1st Gear Dyno kw.png
v0 vs Stock - 1st Gear Dyno kw.png (175.34 KiB) Viewed 6455 times

4th Gear Dyno - v0 vs Stock
v0 vs Stock - 4rd Gear Dyno #1 kw.png
v0 vs Stock - 4rd Gear Dyno #1 kw.png (70.68 KiB) Viewed 6454 times
Last edited by west_minist on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
west_minist

Re: Tuning 3.0R

Postby west_minist » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:44 am

Dynoes in KW and Nm

Software dyno'es based on rpm. Speed dyno's are 10units less.

v0 vs stock mod vs stock - 3rd Gear Dyno's comparison in a descending order

3rd Gear Pulls at Temperatures ranging from 22C - 24C

v0 3rd Gear Dyno
Last edited by west_minist on Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:10 pm

Heat really affect NA engines quite a bit. A CAI is really needed, including keeping the air cool enough until it reach the engine. Water Injection is really needed :) from a performance point of view :) A change in 2+C degree makes noticeable changes in logging stats and dyno's.

So far, the IAM is pretty much stable, except for affected areas just outside of cruising, but still in ECO where the fuel AFR is 14.7. its more in the area where you start to accelerate out. :) I made some fueling changes to see if I can enhance 3200+rpm. OEM is 4000rpm. SO I expect to see something around 3600+rpm

V1 vs V0 vs Stock Driving Stats
west_minist

Postby west_minist » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:55 pm

3rd Gear Pulls at Temperatures greater than 29C to 41C
west_minist

v4a Stats

Postby west_minist » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:12 pm

v4a Stats. V5 (soon to be release) should have FKC and FLKC around 0-0.5degrees as much as possible. Once v5 sits in the car for a day or so, we will start with AVCS tuning. This will give us the changes to see what gains can be have with just AVCS tuning and maybe some fuel adjustments are AVCS is tuned

As you can see, we have the IAM very stable now, but like what I said above, v5 should correct 99% of the ping.
west_minist

Re: Tuning the 3.0R by Xtreme Racing Tuning (Tuner: West_Minist)

Postby BlackFlatSix05 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Never fear, Edward is here. I seriously wouldn’t be too concerned that the Vin Tune is no more.

I have been working with Edward Millington aka west_minist for about a week now on creating a safe performance enhancing tune for my MY05 3.0RB 6MT. I was in contact with Edward months ago and he seemed very keen back then to get his hands on a H6 rom when the definitions became available on Romraider.

To begin with I emailed Edward my standard rom along with a collection of logs which consisted of normal driving around town including a steep climb up Bulli Pass. I then continue to log giving him a good example of cruising at 100kph to 110kph. Nothing illegal of course.

Then on level road surface I perform a series of 3rd and 4th gear pulls at WOT from about 2000rpm to 7000rpm. I perform these logs in both directions as requested by Edward.

Once I have collected all the data I then email the logs to Edward.

It doesn’t seem to matter when I email Edward he either emails me immediately or shortly after from his home or from his Blackberry. The guy must never sleep.

I also speak to Edward in Barbados via Skype. Very handy indeed.

Edward then analyses what I have sent and makes changes to the rom accordingly to remove knock etc and emails me back the new rom which I then flash onto my car’s ecu and begin the logging process again.

So far we have sorted the DBW maps and worked extensively on eliminating knock from the rom and have stabilized the IAM which previously was all over the place. Subaru tuning leaves a lot to be desired believe me.

So far without even touching AVCS or adding any timing the car feels great. Very smooth power delivery and the jerky power band that use to kick in has gone replaced by linear acceleration.

Edward is very knowledgeable and knows his way around a Subaru’s ecu. He has tuned many Wrx’s and GT Liberty’s. He has software that enables him to see dashboard on his PC that once the data I send him is loaded it’s as if he’s driving the car. Very cool indeed. I’ve seen a screen shot of it.

I look forward to flashing Version 5 on tomorrow and continuing to work with Edward in developing a tune to unleash the beast within the H6.

David.
BlackFlatSix05

Postby Lib 3.0LR » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:17 pm

BlackFlatSix05 wrote:Never fear, Edward is here. I seriously wouldn’t be too concerned that the Vin Tune is no more.

I have been working with Edward Millington aka west_minist for about a week now on creating a safe performance enhancing tune for my MY05 3.0RB 6MT. I was in contact with Edward months ago and he seemed very keen back then to get his hands on a H6 rom when the definitions became available on Romraider.

To begin with I emailed Edward my standard rom along with a collection of logs which consisted of normal driving around town including a steep climb up Bulli Pass. I then continue to log giving him a good example of cruising at 100kph to 110kph. Nothing illegal of course.

Then on level road surface I perform a series of 3rd and 4th gear pulls at WOT from about 2000rpm to 7000rpm. I perform these logs in both directions as requested by Edward.

Once I have collected all the data I then email the logs to Edward.

It doesn’t seem to matter when I email Edward he either emails me immediately or shortly after from his home or from his Blackberry. The guy must never sleep.

I also speak to Edward in Barbados via Skype. Very handy indeed.

Edward then analyses what I have sent and makes changes to the rom accordingly to remove knock etc and emails me back the new rom which I then flash onto my car’s ecu and begin the logging process again.

So far we have sorted the DBW maps and worked extensively on eliminating knock from the rom and have stabilized the IAM which previously was all over the place. Subaru tuning leaves a lot to be desired believe me.

So far without even touching AVCS or adding any timing the car feels great. Very smooth power delivery and the jerky power band that use to kick in has gone replaced by linear acceleration.

Edward is very knowledgeable and knows his way around a Subaru’s ecu. He has tuned many Wrx’s and GT Liberty’s. He has software that enables him to see dashboard on his PC that once the data I send him is loaded it’s as if he’s driving the car. Very cool indeed. I’ve seen a screen shot of it.

I look forward to flashing Version 5 on tomorrow and continuing to work with Edward in developing a tune to unleash the beast within the H6.

David.

Hi David this tune will it work on all H6's or just your car,as all cars are'nt the same.Yours is a 6MT mines a 5AT :?:

Cheers George :D
Silver wagon MY06 3.0LR/18' STI Enkei rims/STI front lip/STI pedels/STI mufflers/STI flexible bar/HKS panel air filter/Clarion CeNET iPod interface EA1251 /HID lights-fogs 6000k/Led parkers/Bilstien- Eibach springs / Corazon Grill /Brembo's-Dixel pads/goodride-brakelines./Cusco: BRAKE CYLINDER STOPPER /.Valenti Japan LED Tail Light/In Car PC,JDM Front Bar /KiDo Tune more TBA ?[size=85]
Lib 3.0LR

Car: MY06 LIBERTY 3.0LR WAGON.

Postby west_minist » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:48 am

Lib 3.0LR wrote:Hi David this tune will it work on all H6's or just your car,as all cars are'nt the same.Yours is a 6MT mines a 5AT :?:

I find it interesting you would post a question to David, when I would be the one who would be better to answer that question, but I will so do so for others.

Tuning MT or AT is no different in respect to fuel and ign. Every car is unique. David is getting a custom tune. If it is there are multiple cars and a trend is seen, then a global tune can be had.

People think that because there are different markets, terminologies have to be unique???? No it doesn't.

Because of the different years in engine design and maybe other factors, his tune is strictly for him and his rom version year or associated years.
west_minist

Postby Lib 3.0LR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:49 pm

west_minist wrote:
Lib 3.0LR wrote:Hi David this tune will it work on all H6's or just your car,as all cars are'nt the same.Yours is a 6MT mines a 5AT :?:

I find it interesting you would post a question to David, when I would be the one who would be better to answer that question, but I will so do so for others.

Tuning MT or AT is no different in respect to fuel and ign. Every car is unique. David is getting a custom tune. If it is there are multiple cars and a trend is seen, then a global tune can be had.

People think that because there are different markets, terminologies have to be unique???? No it doesn't.

Because of the different years in engine design and maybe other factors, his tune is strictly for him and his rom version year or associated years.

Sorry :oops: Edward, as I am new at the tuning game, I rely on mechanics to work these things out. But I am very keen to see the end result on Davids car, as I wouldn't mind doing something like that to my car.

Cheers George :lol:
Silver wagon MY06 3.0LR/18' STI Enkei rims/STI front lip/STI pedels/STI mufflers/STI flexible bar/HKS panel air filter/Clarion CeNET iPod interface EA1251 /HID lights-fogs 6000k/Led parkers/Bilstien- Eibach springs / Corazon Grill /Brembo's-Dixel pads/goodride-brakelines./Cusco: BRAKE CYLINDER STOPPER /.Valenti Japan LED Tail Light/In Car PC,JDM Front Bar /KiDo Tune more TBA ?[size=85]
Lib 3.0LR

Car: MY06 LIBERTY 3.0LR WAGON.

Postby west_minist » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Remember these days, computers control the mechanics :)

I think we are having spark plugs issues now. If I cannot compensate, we cannot move on to AVCS testing.

I normal recommend my customers to change their spark plugs every 6months. A good average for high mileage and performance usages.

Update: Spark plugs getting change.
west_minist

Postby BlackFlatSix05 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:19 pm

Guy's. I changed my spark plugs today on Edward's advice. I purchased NGK Iridiums at $25ea. That was trade. Apparently they retail for $30ea. It is an absolute biatch of a job especially working on a hot engine. My car has only done 50,000km so well short of the recommended use by date given by Subaru. I've done some logs and sent them to Edward. I can see there is a lot less knock/pinging with the new plugs. Edward will be happy I hope :D

Hopefully after some more minor changes to the timing maps we can move onto AVCS.

David.

P.S.

I accidently on purpose left off my airbox resonator. Woopsy! Don't tell Edward :D
BlackFlatSix05

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific