Pinging

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Pinging

Postby Merkin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:35 pm

I have had a bit of a search but haven't really found too much, and I am not sure whether it is really a huge problem.
But I have noticed my car (3.0rb) ping sometimes, generally when shifting out of 2nd to 3rd, sometimes I am pushing the car a bit, but nothing too much really.
Also have heard it when I give a few revs on a down shift, which could just be from 4th to 3rd slowing down from 50 or so.
I mentioned it to my mechanic and he thought it was nothing to worry about, but it just really annoys me when I hear it.
And it is not like I am redlining the car or I have 4 fat passengers, it happens when I am in the car by myself.
So is this normal? Not sure if I have provided enough info.

I have read about using the upper engine cleaner, not sure if my mechanic uses it, maybe I should try this and the additive?

Anyway, any insight is welcome!

thanks in advance
Merkin

Car: MY05 3.0rb

Re: Pinging

Postby The Sean » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:53 pm

I was pretty hung over when I did my last service and Parramatta subaru had a fairly decent looking girl on that Saturday morning so when she said I should get the upper head cleaner done for the extra $60 or so, I agreed :mrgreen: (I definitely was Mr Green that morning, let me tell you, I fell asleep on the service waiting room couch!)

Not sure what it did but I'm pretty sure it had more pick up before I serviced it :?

I'm keen to know what I paid for too.
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)

Postby BlackFlatSix05 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:31 pm

What fuel are you using ?

Find someone with a Tactrix cable and get some logs for us to look at if possible.

Your car should not be knocking at all. If you can actually hear it then it's serious. Knock is a major cause of engine failure. In Subaru's especially they break ringlands. NOT good.

Try some octane booster to see if that solves the problem in the short term.
04 MY05 Obsidian Black 3.0R Spec B Sedan 6MT. Hi Tech Quads, HKS Panel Filter.
Viciously Tuned By Xtreme Racing Tuning, Barbados.
BlackFlatSix05

Car: MY05 3.0 Spec B

Postby Adrian2627 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:02 pm

No matter what anyone tells you the 3.0 should not be run on any fuel less than 95 octane!!! They will run on 91 but with greatly retarded ignition and at the risk of pinging which you are experiencing. The other problem you could be experiencing is the knock sensor could be compromised so I'd take it in to get it checked out.
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Merkin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:09 pm

I always fill up with 98 from BP.

So is there anyone in Brissy that has a cable?
Should this give some sort of indication as to what is going on?
Also does anyone know a mechanic in Brissy that might be a bit cluey to something like this?

Thanks for the help.
Little bit worrying. Hopefully can sort it out
Merkin

Postby smythie » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:16 pm

The Sean wrote:I was pretty hung over when I did my last service and Parramatta subaru had a fairly decent looking girl on that Saturday morning so when she said I should get the upper head cleaner done for the extra $60 or so, I agreed :mrgreen: (I definitely was Mr Green that morning, let me tell you, I fell asleep on the service waiting room couch!)

Not sure what it did but I'm pretty sure it had more pick up before I serviced it :?

I'm keen to know what I paid for too.
The upper cylinder clean is a good thing to do/have done - cleans up the cylinders and lets the engine do its job better
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby The Sean » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:31 pm

Does it need doing every service?

Bear in mind, I usually hit the time based goal before I drive the kilometres between services.
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)

Postby zoidberg99 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:23 am

The upper engine cleaner is worth a look. because of the large intake setup on top of the motor, the idea is to clear out any buildup sitting in there. i ran it on my last service and it worked a treat.

Fuel is also important
zoidberg99
-stickered-

Car: 2005 MY06 3.0R-B

Postby Merkin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:34 am

I threw some octane boost/injector cleaner stuff in yesterday, no big change, but I guess time will tell.
Might give the upper engine clean a go also, and I will probably order one of the cables for funsies.

I will return with the results.

I was going to go to a Subaru dealer for the upper engine cleaner, is there anywhere else people have found it?
Merkin

Postby PM3RB » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Hey guys.. I bought a can of upper engine cleaner a while back and I wasn't sure where to add it. I was told to spray it into a vacuum hose on the passenger side to rear of the engine. Has anyone got a pic handy that you could post showing the best location?.. thanks Paul
PM3RB

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0RB

Postby Woodduck » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:22 pm

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4702

HAve a read of that mate! Hasnt happened again since the last post but im quite sure it will!
'06 LIBERTY 3.0R SPEC B SEDAN --- 6SP Manual - 19" Kahn RS-V rims - V-Tune - STI Short Shifter - Tein S-techs - Corazon Grill - Phats Quad Mufflers - STi front lip - Brembo brakes with slotted rotors - More to come ;)

Woodduck

Car: '06 3.0R spec B

Postby Merkin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 pm

Woodduck wrote:http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4702

HAve a read of that mate! Hasnt happened again since the last post but im quite sure it will!

Dude!
Mine does not sound as serious as yours does/did, I don't think anyone else would notice the noise, it is just that I have heard it every now and then that I am now constantly trying to listen for it.
It doesn't ping for too long, only like a quarter of a second, but I just don't think it should be doing it at all, especially with 98 RON in it all the time...

I think my method of attack is to get some of the upper engine cleaner, I too would like a tip as to where it goes, otherwise I will ask at subaru.
Then if that doesn't help, I will try and get some logs from my ecu and try and figure out what might be happening...
Merkin

Postby Woodduck » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:06 pm

Yeah all im saying is that mine started out only between 2nd-3rd and didnt ping for very long...then eventually this happened lol.
'06 LIBERTY 3.0R SPEC B SEDAN --- 6SP Manual - 19" Kahn RS-V rims - V-Tune - STI Short Shifter - Tein S-techs - Corazon Grill - Phats Quad Mufflers - STi front lip - Brembo brakes with slotted rotors - More to come ;)

Woodduck

Car: '06 3.0R spec B

Postby Merkin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Haha, way to instill confidence!
I will run these couple of things, and see what happens after that, hopefully it fixes it and I don't have to worry.
Time will tell I guess.
There is a GT sitting down near mine in the garage, maybe if I swap the plates he wont realise...
Merkin

Postby smythie » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:38 am

Merkin wrote:I think my method of attack is to get some of the upper engine cleaner, I too would like a tip as to where it goes, otherwise I will ask at subaru.
Then if that doesn't help, I will try and get some logs from my ecu and try and figure out what might be happening...

PM3RB wrote:Hey guys.. I bought a can of upper engine cleaner a while back and I wasn't sure where to add it. I was told to spray it into a vacuum hose on the passenger side to rear of the engine. Has anyone got a pic handy that you could post showing the best location?.. thanks Paul
When you say "passenger side", was the person telling you this referrring to a LHD car? If so, they were referring to the brake master cylinder vacuum hose. This is the way I did it a month or so ago. Held the can down below the intake pipework in front of the clutch master cylinder with the little hose pointed into that spot.

It's the hose that runs to the left and slightly upwards from the back pipe of the inlet manifold and under the inlet pipe in this pic

If however the person you were talking to was referring to the passenger side of a RHD car then they would have been referring to another vacuum port on the other side of the inlet manifold. This vacuum hose runs the fuel pressure regulator valve and is the port I'll probably be using next time I run the cleaner through mine. Not sure how long the car will run with no vacuum on this valve. My understanding (from the workshop manual) is that fuel line pressure will increase if the vacuum is removed off the regulator so at least it won't be running lean...
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific