What do I need to look out for?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

What do I need to look out for?

Postby Skirmish » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Hey guys,

I've just recently bought a second hand 2005 MY06 Liberty Wagon 3.0R Spec B. It was purchased from a dealer so came with a 3 month warranty. I know diddly squat about mechanics, but I'd like to identify any problems my subi has before the 3 months runs out? Is there anything that model is notorious for? I have noticed a burning smell after driving it hard. It is probably the brakes, but I could have sworn there was a slight plastic smell to it. Temperature is good though and a cursory whiff under the bonnet didn't find anything.

On another note, I'm new to these forums. Hi I'm Adam, I'm in Canberra atm (don't hold that against me) and I'm loving my liberty. My fiance and I fight over who gets to drive which is odd as we used to fight to be the passenger in our old car, a 24yo bmw. The liberty feels very swish, handles very nicely and for us is the perfect balance of performance, style and practicality. I had a good read over these forums so we'd know what to expect before we laid out the cash, and so far the car exceeds my expectations.

Cheers
Adam
Skirmish

Car: MY06 Liberty Wagon 3.0R Spec B

Re: What do I need to look out for?

Postby bugli » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi Adam,

Can't help you out with what too look out for but I can say welcome, canberra ain't so bad 8) Post up your intro into the introductions tread as more people are likely to see it, Also keep an eye out in the meetings thread cause there are a few of us canberra guys now and we are starting to meet more regularly :D

Michael.
bugli
-stickered-

Car: MY03 RX

Postby Sentinel » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi Adam, as bugli has said, post your intro in the Intro section section and make sure you add some pics! :good:

As for what to look out for, well, if you've read through the forums as you mentioned, I reckon you've probably answered your question LOL. Otherwise, there's a few boyz on here that will some more constructive info than I. :lol:

Cheers
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby Ric » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Check the oil consumption, particularly if it is a manual.
take a good look what the level is, then check again, with the engine just as warm etc a few weeks later.
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby smythie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Another things the Lib's are know to chew through is the rubber in the rear mount of front suspension lower control arm.

Other things to look far include CV joint and diff's. CV joints are easy to check for - you'll have a clicking noise when applying power, particularly when you have some steering lock on. Diffs will show up as thunking noises when rolling (doesn't matter whether on power, engine braking or coasting) with a lot of steering lock on after half an hour or so of highway speed running. Gearbox woes can show up in difficult gear changes. That 6 speed is not cheap to get repaired so pay attention to that during your warranty period.

Otherwise, just pay attention to your baby and if something doesn't feel right, report it under warranty. The worst thing that can happen is the dealer saying "No". And even then, you have recourse to argue that it should be warrantable IMO
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific