MY07 3.0R off to Subi Docklands next week for a 'Vin Tune'

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

MY07 3.0R off to Subi Docklands next week for a 'Vin Tune'

Postby at last! » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi folks,
After much debate with myself, the MY07 is off to Subi Docklands next week for a run on the dyno (~$300).

I have spoken with Vin, and he certainly seems to know his stuff.

I do not have high expectations for a sudden power increase, after all it's a stock NA engine/pipes. I am however hoping to see a reduction in the flat spot(s) and better throttle response - it really bogs at the moment to the point where I lean forward - wait 2 seconds and then it kicks in! Have not seen this since I put the wrong jets on my DCOE webber in the Corona oh so long ago. It NEEDS to be fixed.

Any economy improvements will be icing on the cake.

Having had a number of bikes dyno'd before I know there is usually some room for tweaking to suit the individual engine...so hopefully this translates to cars too....at the very least that bogging down must go.

I assume that we get a copy of the before and after dyno. charts. If so, I'll post them here next week.

Cheers,
Andrew
Last edited by at last! on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MY07 3.0R Auto
Reversing camera, "road kill" sound deadener in all doors and parcel shelf. Whiteline sway bars (front and rear).
Dyno Tune by Vin @ Docklands STi +10-12KW and much better response. Got a 3.0R? Do it now.
at last!

Postby Spec B Wgn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:27 am

good luck mate... our wgn has been tuned and drives a lot better as a result.

125 kws is what we obtained..
This cowboy walks in to a German car showroom and he says 'Audi!'
Spec B Wgn

Postby RAN94A » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:28 pm

hey, at last.

Just out of interest this tune is only costing you $300?? Because i have heard about STI docklands and the tunes they perform but i thought they were alot pricier than that..

or is there different tunes you can get?? :) let us know how it goes mate
RAN94A

Car: Liberty MY06 3.0R

Postby at last! » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:19 pm

A half day with Vin on the dyno is $300 or so..(maybe 330 - I forget the exact number now but about 300) and that's the full tune done.

IIRC, the larger numbers you may have heard, ($800 or so) are for parts changes like larger injectors etc.

It's also having a standard service on the same day...but that's different.

Spec B,
Thanks mate...I hope it's a bit smoother. AAgain, it's not fancy ECU replacement, but at 300, it's cheap and from other posts on other forums, it looks like it does produce tangable results.

It's a no brainer if you ask me....but we'll see how I feel in a week.

I was just waiting until I had enough K's to loosen her up or it would have gone in day 1.

Andrew
at last!

Postby RAN94A » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:45 pm

im keen to find out how ya go :D might be on the list of things to have done to mine the lag in low RPM is certainly a pain..

as well as the way it will tend to hang on one gear if your just accelerating slowly.

is docklands the only subaru service centre that performs these tunes or is there anywhere in NSW??
RAN94A

Car: Liberty MY06 3.0R

Postby smythie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:54 pm

It is VIN at STi Docklands that does the job. I think the Melbourne joint is the only STi tuning centre in Oz
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby Arith » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:09 pm

From what I heard the $300 is only for WRX and Liberty 3.0's. The Liberty Gen IV turbos are harder to fine tune and costs about $800. That's just what I heard from someone who called up a while back. But again, it could just be that the $800 included service as well.

I don't know if Vin can change the gearing, but I heard it will make the car more driveable. But if it is $300, it's great value for a mild fine tuning of the ECU.

However you do get what you pay for when it comes to gains. An OpenECU tune will cost more but will net higher gains.

[ Former Liberty ... Slightly Modified -> Click
here for modifications & profile ]
Arith
-stickered-

Car: MY11 Volvo S60 T6

Postby stevey » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:06 pm

i called up earlier in the year and i spoke someone other than Vin from sti and they said it was about $800!! but if its only $300 or so dollars. im gonna book it in too.

What do i need to tell them when i call up? cos i spoke to the guy and i told him i wanted to get the car tuned and he asked if wanted a v-tune, to which i said yes. He's reply was that it was $800!

From what I heard the $300 is only for WRX and Liberty 3.0's.

at last, i'm guessing you'ev got a 3.0R which is why you posted in this forum/thread?
stevey

Postby at last! » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:05 pm

Arith,
Sorry for my ignorance, but what does "change the gearing" mean?

Infact, perhaps those that know here could outline what I should ask for when I go in and talk with Vin next week?
1) remove hesitation on throttle (ie. plant foot, no move for 2 seconds)
2) remove/lessen limiting when taking off with wheels turned.
3) lessen over-run on throttle off

Stevey, Yep, stock standard 3.0R...and an auto at that.

I spoke to Vin for a while earlier in the week and it's 300 (or thereabouts) for my 3.0R. He's a really down to earth guy. And spoke at length to make sure my expectations were realistic and not over-inflated by certain forum posts about amazing gains. I reassured him I know it's just a NA engine and that I'm not looking for silly gains.

Will post the receipt and (dyno) next week to settle the cost for 3.0R's once and for all.

Wifey factor at play...but at least I got a soobie...so I no complain. She wanted a CX-7!

Missed the turbo and spec b as neither had a tan interior...just black...argh. There were some "special" imports which had tan (a mixup in the ordering I hear) but they had already been sold.

Andrew
Last edited by at last! on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MY07 3.0R Auto
Reversing camera, "road kill" sound deadener in all doors and parcel shelf. Whiteline sway bars (front and rear).
Dyno Tune by Vin @ Docklands STi +10-12KW and much better response. Got a 3.0R? Do it now.
at last!

Postby 3rspecb » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:06 pm

A friend of mine had a v-tune recently and was also quoted $800 until he told them he owns a H6 and was charged $300

$300 is for the v-tune on 3r/3rspecb.

$800 is for the v-tune on turbo models
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby stevey » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:13 pm

looks like i'm next in line to get my 3.0R SpecB v-tuned too if its only $300ish.
lets us know how you go at last.
stevey

Postby at last! » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:45 am

Will do....Only one more sleep... :)
MY07 3.0R Auto
at last!

Postby at last! » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Ok, so here are the results.

Smoother all round. Hesitation is almost all gone. Much more responsive. Stronger pull from low. Too early to know about fuel.

All with no mods. at all - I am one happy camper.

To misquote one of our greaterst PM's and an add about drink driving,
"Anyone with a 3.0R who does not go and get a V-Tune is a bloody idiot!"

Invoice proving it's $300 for a 3.0R.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/speedzilla/tuneinvoicefinal.jpg

The before/after dyno chart (note I put the lines on there to make it easier to read).
Before ~117KW atw.
After ~126KW atw.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/speedzilla/dynocroppedfinal.jpg

All in all $300 for a much better performing car and 10KW atw and likely more fuel efficient - priceless.

Andrew
MY07 3.0R Auto
at last!

Postby Woodduck » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Im guna do this for sure after i get my exhaust! Worth the 6 hour trip i think :D
'06 LIBERTY 3.0R SPEC B SEDAN --- 6SP Manual - 19" Kahn RS-V rims - V-Tune - STI Short Shifter - Tein S-techs - Corazon Grill - Phats Quad Mufflers - STi front lip - Brembo brakes with slotted rotors - More to come ;)

Woodduck

Car: '06 3.0R spec B

Postby Sentinel » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Nice work mate!! Now you just need the wheels to finish it off!! HAHA!! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific