Not again?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Not again?

Postby MIB » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:36 am

So I get the 3.0 serviced - 37,500km service done a tad late at 39,700... they call me before pick up to ask if they can keep it as they need to pull the motor down (remember I had the motor replaced 18 months ago) as they've found pretty much every oil seal in the motor is leaking... it can't be too bad as it doesn't use oil like the last motor, nor does it drip.

It took 2 days to do, just got a message to say it's ready for collection, I do have a pars list so I'll post it when I get the car back. 4 months left on the warranty now and I'm thinking it might be time to start looking for a replacement.

Anyone else had any ongoing issues? Ric?

Warranty bill this service must have been nice as they did all the suspension bushes too :lol:
06 3RB
MIB

Postby coyote » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 pm

Sounds like someone didn't put it together correctly 18 months ago. If keeping it, I'd want to know how long they will warrant their work this time.

** Team Tony **
coyote

Postby swingn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:46 pm

Mmmmm... That's not the sort of thing we like to hear.

If you are going to keep it, I'd make sure you get it checked out by an independant party.

BUT... If I were in your shoes (Unless you've spent heaps of dosh on mods we don't know about ;) ), I would be selling it... Not worth taking the risk when we're talking about a fairly expensive car.
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby loweart » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:42 pm

I'm of a similar opinion as Coyote in that it sounds like this wasn't "put together" properly in the 1st instance ( was the engine assembled on a Monday ).

If it was me, I would be certainly trying to get a second opinion on it to determine whether things are fixed or to expect more issues. The people at Boxer Service @ Brendale from what I've consistently heard have a good record for working on Soobies.
FAST cars and slow women

Silver MY03 Subaru Impreza RS
HKS Panel Filter | Clarion NX502a | Kenwood XR-4S multi channel D class amp | Morel & Eclipse speakers | Yokohama C Drive
loweart
-stickered-

Car: MY03 Impreza RS ( Team Silver )

Postby smythie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:44 pm

loweart wrote:( was the engine assembled on a Monday ).

How do Monday engines compare to Friday engines?
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby loweart » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Well I have theory !

Monday engines are put together with the right parts but in the wrong order or in the wrong way.

Friday engines are put together with certain parts missing.

Just my theory ......................
FAST cars and slow women

Silver MY03 Subaru Impreza RS
HKS Panel Filter | Clarion NX502a | Kenwood XR-4S multi channel D class amp | Morel & Eclipse speakers | Yokohama C Drive
loweart
-stickered-

Car: MY03 Impreza RS ( Team Silver )

Postby smythie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:58 pm

sound reasoning if you ask me :D
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby MIB » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Thanks guys, this one's not modified - I just haven't gotten around to it. It had a short block replacement as per Ric's and a few others on here, has done about 15-20k on the new block...

Parts list reads Front and rear covers, oil pump and seals, oil cooler and seals. Description lists recoil threads too so possible wasn't put together well to befin with.

Once they road tested it they found a faulty drive belt tensioner too and replaced that. It's certainly not as bad as my Holden was for 'lemon' status which is a relief

Problem is there's nothing else short of a 335i or Audi S3 that I like - I love the look and style of the 06 Lib (cleaners front/rear bar lines IMO), and they are at model end... I'd wait for the 2010 to be launched later this year but I fear Subaru are going to smash shit out of it with the ugly stick ala WRX and Forester...
Maybe I'll just have to find a run out STi wagon.......
06 3RB
MIB

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific