EZ 30 Turboing Questions and Ideas

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

EZ 30 Turboing Questions and Ideas

Postby Knoxor » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:04 am

So I've recently got the itch to start building an EZ30 turbo.

I'm currently in the process of learning about tuning and engines and want to pass some things by you all here on the forum.

I live in Canada and here we can only obtain up to 94 oct at our gas stations, no E85 :( cold weather also seems to be an issue.

Here is my idea;

I currently drive a 2017 WRX and I love it, however I will have to dump loads of cash into it to make anything over 300hp.

My plain is to start building an EZ30 and possibly use my WRX turbo on the EZ30 or possibly an aftermarket FP blue turbo. I plan on mounting the turbo underneath the engine somehow much like "Turbo Yoda" has done with a twin turbo set up. my turbo is already mounted under the engine and come with all the oiling requirements (So it seems). I'd love to make around 400whp with this set-up. eventually bringing the car to 600whp in the future if this works but that's a topic for another day.

Marty's levorg is also some inspiration.

Here are some quetions:

Will an FP blue turbo work well with this engine?
What are some things I need to consider about what turbos this engine likes?
Mounting the turbo underneath will help it spool better is my thinking, sound right?
If I should choose a different turbo I feel as though If I still want to mount it under the car I can use the fa20 oil sumps no?

Sorry if I sound wacky still learning, hope I posted in the right spot and look forword to hearing your inputs!
Knoxor

Car: 2017 WRX

Re: EZ 30 Turboing Questions and Ideas

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:24 am

There’s a few posts here that cover the subject in detail:

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35009
This post details the exhaust manifold & uppipe construction, that kit became this car:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=37234

As regards turbos you might be better off using an affordable larger turbo, eg 3031, since your available fuel will dictate late spool and low maximum boost pressure, eg closer to 5psig after 4K rpm might preserve your head gaskets and rings/bearings longer on the stock long block. Eg larger turbo on 5psig wastegate spring pressure… Since you can’t use all the boost, a very basic generic brand turbo will be fine, these tend to be reliable if not overspeeded.

A journal bearing turbo may still require an oil pressure regulator(research, fact check this point), due to the EZ higher oil pressures, and you might need to return the bypass oil to a modded cam cover, oil return tube or sump.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific