Bought a Subaru Liberty 2006 3.0r-b. Ticking noise?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Bought a Subaru Liberty 2006 3.0r-b. Ticking noise?

Postby D.Chiodo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:37 pm

Hey Guys,
Just Bought a Stock Subaru Liberty 2006 3.0r-b with 230,000km for my first car about a week ago. Today when i was driving i got out of the car to check something and when it was idling i heard a strange ticking or rattling noise coming from the engine. After some slight research and watching some videos I believe it is the cam chain tensioner that is faulty. Are there any ways i can check if it is actually the cam chain tensioner or if its something else? Is there anything else i should check for? Does anyone know how much it costs to change one of these or hard it is to replace it yourself?
D.Chiodo

Car: 2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0r-b

Re: Bought a Subaru Liberty 2006 3.0r-b. Ticking noise?

Postby Tonic » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:03 pm

Hope it is only that and not a big end bearing.... that is expensive. Get a decent mechanic to check it out and if bearing then drive it till it dies...
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby Dabsos » Sun May 06, 2018 9:33 am

Really hope it isn't the big end bearing too. This is my thread on another forum, so maybe helpful for you?

http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.ph ... spec-b-30/
Dabsos

Car: Subaru Legacy 2.0 2006

Postby Tonic » Sun May 06, 2018 8:15 pm

Been there. Some of these h3 engines use a lot of oil... 400ml per 1,000km not out of the question. So service interval is too long.
Only way to check is to top it up and measure usage over 1,000km. If more than 250ml it could have run dry between services and cooked the bushing. If less then if service history is consistent to it might be something else...
Mine (My06 3rb sedan) had no rough idling but the click was there. The engines are nicely balanced. But the bush was shot... tiny exotic metal part the size of a ring, very thin (like a Sosa can thick) and about 14mm wide I guess. I spent $8,500 for a rebuild with porting and it ran fine for many more km... but still used oil like a 2 stroke....
The bushing is a small piece of metal and mine was still partly in place. Evidence in the oil was not really there ..... probably missed and tossed out on a previous service.
I sold the old girl to a young p plater but warned to keep an eye on the oil. It was running perfectly 150,000plus km after the rebuild.
Doing about 50,000km a year means I turn the cars over. Bought an 09 model with 75Kkm and it hasn’t used a drop of oil. Done 25,000km in it.
The other click you can get is in the gear shift ... loose bushings is a $200 refit at the dealer. You can tell because the gear shifter will flop all around inyour hand. But noise is more near the gearstick not the transmission/middle of the engine.
If it is the bushing then I suggest keep driving it until it shakes and rattles and doesn’t want to roll. Then if you love the car get a full rebuild, blueprinted parts, a super charger and the usual performance bolt ons.... $20,000 spend....
Either that or sell it now and get one you don’t hear a noise on.
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific