My EZ30 conversion (gen 3 2.0 manual wagon)

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

My EZ30 conversion (gen 3 2.0 manual wagon)

Postby timmmyrogers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:12 pm

The mythical flat 6 subaru engine is rather enigmatic to most people and is somewhat out of reach to most Subaru fans, reserved only for the conservative, modest people movers with economic slushboxes and a torque curve made to pull caravans from the suburbs to the big4 of your choice. Despite this, the resemblance to the powerplant from the iconic Porsche 911 and power figures similar to a stock wrx, this engine elicits an unassuming level of pretentiousness which attracts me to implant it in my manual 2003 gen 3 wagon.

I have been considering this conversion since I first bought my car and have been researching h6 swaps and manual conversions and had my eye out for an EZ30D from a gen 2 outback for the transplant. I also had been considering a EJ205 conversion but after alot of deliberation I was swayed towards the H6, one principal reason is being on p-plates so I was keen to keep it naturally aspirated. For about a year I'm pretty sure every H6 outback that went on Gumtree was saved in my watch list until some time in August 2017 I found a burgundy outback from Geelong for $1000 for the complete car.

Ignoring the subtle warnings on the gumtree ad of a blown headgasket, leaking water and overheating in the past, fuelled by my youthful naivety I drove down to Geelong to give it a look. Upon arriving, I laid eyes on the neglected car I was soon to own. Not being discouraged by the huge puddle of water originating from under the motor, nor by the actions of the owner proceeding to fill up the radiator with the garden hose before starting up the car I was adamant it would be mine. I went home after what i considered a successful day and I quickly organised a trailer to collect it the next week. What I forgot to mention was I managed to get the price down to $470 with towing $180, I was full of excitement with this astonishing deal I forgot to mention to my parents that a tow truck would be dropping off a car at the house. They were appropriately livid.

With the new 3.0L outback in the driveway I started stripping down the engine and all the components that I will be needing for the conversion, which is basically the engine long motor and all the wiring from the dash to the front. I also kept some other parts such as the momo steering wheel, sideskirts, cargo mat, front and rear lights. I also managed to install the digital climate control and the blackface gauge cluster which gives the interior a much needed aesthetic upgrade. From the short time the car was running I could tell it was burning water, so I knew the heads would be coming off. With the h6 sitting on an engine stand I started to tear the entire engine down to get to the headgaskets which I replaced, along with all the seals and gaskets in the valve cover and the timing chain front and rear covers. I got the heads machined and I also replaced the water pump and thermostat because I don't think the previous owner has had coolant in the engine for a very long time...

I had been taking my time with this rebuild, just doing it between uni and work and during the holidays so it took me until Jan 2018 before the engine was all together in one piece which was a blessing as at the end of Jan I had my licence suspended for 6 months :? I was driving my work van in the city doing 60 in a school zone at 2.32 with no p-plates on and got pinged by unmarked police. Anyway my car was going to be off the road for 6 months which is perfect to take the EJ20 out and commence completing the transplant.

First week of March I moved my car into hibernation in the garage and started disconnecting the engine. I managed to get it out and the h6 in in a day which proved the easiest part of the conversion.

H6_2.jpg
H6_2.jpg (246.87 KiB) Viewed 13337 times

H6_3.jpg
H6_3.jpg (250.05 KiB) Viewed 13337 times

For the transmission side of things I am using the factory 5 speed manual from my liberty and mating that to the EZ30 via and exedy HD clutch to handle the extra torque. I received some wiring diagrams from Al to show how to get around the TCU situation and wiring up the vehicle speed sensor which is a great help.

20180315_104503.jpg
20180315_104503.jpg (243.12 KiB) Viewed 13337 times

Everything bolts in quite nicely, the bell housing pattern is the same, the engine mounts are the same, the radiator fits with no adjustment which makes sense since it is the same chassis. Hence another reason why this swap I considered would me more straight forward than going down the turbo road.

H6_4.jpg
H6_4.jpg (229.53 KiB) Viewed 13337 times

H6_1.jpg
H6_1.jpg (247.4 KiB) Viewed 13337 times
timmmyrogers

Car: 2003 BH Liberty Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33904

Re: My EZ30 conversion (gen 3 2.0 manual wagon)

Postby timmmyrogers » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:26 pm

As of now; the water plumping is all complete, the power steering and a/c pumps are secure and connected and the wiring is all done. In terms of the wiring everything from the dash to the front is from the outback which works, however the outback came with Subaru's Vehicle dynamic control (VDC) whereas my liberty only has regular ABS, so at the moment I'm splicing out the VDC system and replacing it with wiring for the ABS module. I also have to swap the front wheel speed sensor plugs as they are slightly different.

I have managed to get it turning over with the starter motor but not firing. The o rings in the injectors are chewed up so whenever the fuel pump builds pressure, fuel just leaks out of the rails. I think this fuel leak is the reason why it is not firing but I am yet to be sure.
timmmyrogers

Postby ahrexwagon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:04 pm

Did you end up finishing the exhaust? Just curious to know if the outback tranny Xmember would work in the gen 3v
This is a comforting read considering I have an 03 outback with the H6 sitting next to my gen 3 lib. So tempted to try the engine side of the swap this weekend

Also what would the chances of you repeating the same wiring job for me ;) I’m in Frankston

The electrical side of things is just way over my head at the moment
The Weekend car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon, 5mt, blown ej25, currently doing H6 conversion
The Donor car; 2003 Outback ez30 H6 auto
The Daily/Camping Car: 2012 Isuzu Dmax Dual Cab SX 4x4 auto
ahrexwagon

Car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon ez30 - 5mt

Postby timmmyrogers » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:58 pm

Yea I looked at the auto x member but its completely different to the manual x member so that won't work. I've managed to bolt up the stock exhaust but i had to grind off some heat shielding off the exhaust so it will kind of clear the x member but i still had to massage the pipe a bit with a hammer, and forcefully bolt it to the h4 exhaust mounting point. I noticed in Nfsdude0125 RS30 thread that the h6 has spacers between the chassis rails and subframe so I need to get some of those and that might give it a bit more room for the exhaust to clear.

I haven't got to the end so I'm still working through wiring gremlins. I'll write about the wiring process once I've found solutions to everything ahaha. So I don't think I will be much use to you at the moment
timmmyrogers

Postby timmmyrogers » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:03 pm

IMMOBILISER:
When trying to start my car it seemed as though the injectors would not receive pulse signal from the ECU. After a bit of research I narrowed this down to the immobiliser. I noticed when ignition is set to ON, the red immobiliser key light was constantly illuminated which indicates incorrect key transponder. I found this thread which explains how you get your car to start with a different ECU.

http://www.subyclub.com/topic/11800-replacing-an-ecu-what-you-need/

This thread assumes that you don't have the original key or original transponder ECU but I had both from the old H6 donor car which made it alot simpler to fix.
The 3 components you need is the H6 ECU, the immobiliser ecu from the H6 and the original key (transponder) from the H6 and you basically just swap them all into the car.

KEY TRANSPONDER:
Because I was retaining my original Liberty ignition barrel and key, the only step here is to open the key fob from the H6 and remove the small triangular transponder and put it into the original Liberty key.

IMMOBILISER ECU:
This black box is bolted under the steering column. Use the H6 immobiliser control unit so that it can communicate with the H6 ECU and the H6 transponder

H6 ECU:
This should already be installed in the car
timmmyrogers

Postby ahrexwagon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:39 pm

This is helpful, I’ve just pulled the ecu, dash loom, momo wheel and the barre and ecu under dash

Just a question about the fuel lines to the rails in the ez30 how did you go with the plumbing as I’ve noticed a fpr (I think) which is mounted to the tranny (has direction of flow) just wondering if the fuel lines were easy enough to re plumb to existing flow/return lines on the fire wall

Also do you know if there is any requirement to use the factory H6 fuel pump from the outback?
The Weekend car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon, 5mt, blown ej25, currently doing H6 conversion
ahrexwagon

Postby timmmyrogers » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:38 pm

The H6 fuel pump has flow rate of 85L/h and the stock liberty is 65L/h so its best to swap them over. With the fuel lines the 3 lines from the H6 just connect with the 3 lines in the liberty engine bay in the same order. I'm not sure about the fpr you are talking about but the fuel flows fine at idle
timmmyrogers

Postby ahrexwagon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm

I’ll take a pic n email of the cylinder on the fuel line I’m referring to

Those wiring diagrams are super helpful.

Just on the cruise control diagram Al has said to cut the cruise control line? Is this going to affect the cruise control?
ahrexwagon

Postby ahrexwagon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:29 pm

So turns out it’s a fuel catalyst (says on the sticker) which I can just re use on the libs lines in the swap

Now on to some parts:
I have noticed a difference with the ez30 radiator plumbing, the nipples that have the auto trans (cooling?) lines running into the bottom, can they be capped off? The lib doesn’t have them of should I just swap to the slimmer fans off the ez30 and retain original liberty radiator?

I have spent today completely disconnecting the engine loom, all hoses, fuel lines, o2 sensor plugs, upper and lower radiator hoses and drained fluids aswell as unbolting headers. I have reclaimed the r134a (mech plumber by trade) which allowed for disconnecting of the ac compressor line to the evaporator and coil

Only thing left to do is to unbolt the bellhousing bolts and engine mounts and she (should) slip right out

Before this tho I’m going to find a suitable clutch upgrade with sm flywheel (got quoted $70 from SubaBits for the flywheel and bolts)
Any advice on a decent 225mm HD clutch kit? (non turbo push type)
ahrexwagon

Postby timmmyrogers » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:55 pm

I have just taken out the A/T cooler lines and capped the nipples and its not leaking or anything. You need to use the H6 radiator as its a tad larger but the important this is that there are 2 outlets on the top. You can use the H4 radiator if you tee off the top outlet so that you can direct it to the 2 coolant inlets on the top of the H6. Its easier to just use the stock Ez30 radiator, everything fits and it just slides in. Also it has a slimmer overfill bottle which has to be used.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EXEDY-Heavy ... 2749.l2649

This is the clutch kit i used. I drove the car for the first time down the driveway today and the clutch works.
timmmyrogers

Postby ahrexwagon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:01 pm

Awesomeness well I guess time will tell how well that clutch holds up.

Buying it now!

How’d you go between gear shifts? No rough idle/stalling?

Curious to know how well the diagrams have worked for you
ahrexwagon

Postby timmmyrogers » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:18 pm

Didn't drive it properly, yet to know how how the idle is between shifts. Idle is a bit low when you let off the throttle but I think this is something that has been said can be tuned out. Ill let you know how it drives when I take it out for a proper drive.

The diagrams have worked well, I haven't wired VSS or the ABS module yet
timmmyrogers

Postby ahrexwagon » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:40 pm

I think the idle is probably the factory tune tbh when I drove the outback back home it idled around 600-800rpm which I thought was a bit odd but it was like that every start up warm or cold.

You know the cruise control module (black box) that the second throttle cable runs to in the engine bay, did you retain the stock one or did you use the outbacks?

And with the manual speed sensor, does that get wired into the H6 loom?

Sorry for the 1000 questions, it’s just good to have someone going through the exact same thing
ahrexwagon

Postby timmmyrogers » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:05 pm

You should keep the outback one, I used the liberty one but the cable was too short and held the throttle open so idle was at 2500rpm :?
With the VSS i believe it does. One wire is ground and the other two go the the ignition relay and cruise control module. I haven't figured out the best way to do this without stripping the whole harness. May have to run separate wires along side the harness.

Its all good i've got tons of questions too haha
timmmyrogers

Postby ahrexwagon » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:01 pm

So today I have been at it since about 8am completely disconnecting everything from both the ej25 and the ez30

With the looms:

There’s the engine harness which is easy enough to maintain on the engine when pulling

With the loom the at runs from the fuse box (next to washer bottle) under the radiator (picks up fans fogs and headlights/horns etc) then runs to the drivers side and up through the quarter panel back into the dash (under steering column)
Did you swap that over to the lib? I noticed the thermo fans are a 4 sure plug not 2 like the libs fans
ahrexwagon

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific