My EZ30 conversion (gen 3 2.0 manual wagon)

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: My EZ30 conversion (gen 3 2.0 manual wagon)

Postby ahrexwagon » Thu May 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Had a long 40 min chat to Miles @ AM auto regarding vdc to abs splicing complexities

A few points to mention from the information provided;

Rather than splice the libs abs wiring into the ez30 driver side front loom I am going to retain the vdc which will plumb into the existing abs lines. I have researched that there is a vdc delete/switch that can be installed that can bypass this function if I really didn’t want it there. Probably never will need to do this

I will also be removing the rear loom that runs to the fuel pump and rear tail gate and putting this into the lib. Main reason for this is the outback fuel pump has an extra sensor/control plug that the libs didn’t come with. This will also allow car to run without the CEL associated with this not being plugged in. Miles said no need to swap out pumps as they are identical. Rear tail lights and everything also plug in the same so no need to dismantle tail gate.

The TCU delete with the manual speed sensor wires being extended and pinned into the TCU plugs (have to double check which wire received signal for VSS) will allow function of speedometer. In the outback the tcu is mounts above where the clutch pedal would be in the lib which can be zip tied up out of the way.

Neutral position wires can be bridged together to the car always thinks it’s in gear is also easy enough to do. Only unavoidable issue with this is that the car can occasionally stall when decelerating quickly or coming to a stop as the ecu will think the car is still in neautral which will hold the revs higher while slowing. According to Miles this happened to him twice in all the time he owned a H6 outback with a manual conversion

Header pipes apparently will clear the ej25 crossmember with no modification required which is also a plus. I do however have to get the tail pipe and mid pipe made as the H6 one is a rusted mess. Been quoted $500 in mild steel which Is good enough for me.

I’m sure there are still going to be things that pop up but as of now this will be my next move which is still under way.

Fingers crossed this weekend will have looms all swapped over.

Still waiting on clutch kit so in terms of engine install and plumbing/plugging in is still yet to happen
The Weekend car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon, 5mt, blown ej25, currently doing H6 conversion
The Donor car; 2003 Outback ez30 H6 auto
The Daily/Camping Car: 2012 Isuzu Dmax Dual Cab SX 4x4 auto
ahrexwagon

Car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon ez30 - 5mt

Postby timmmyrogers » Sun May 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Just wondering what were the specific issues with replacing the VDC with ABS that Miles mentioned. Because I didn't keep the VDC module so I'm looking at a way to use the original ABS system
timmmyrogers

Car: 2003 BH Liberty Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33904

Postby ahrexwagon » Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 am

Keeping the VDC module is a lot less work in terms of splicing in the abs wiring. Miles was adamant that it was an unnessesary path to go down as the vdc wiring already comes with the front looms and you can always bypass this if you don’t want it to function
The Weekend car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon, 5mt, blown ej25, currently doing H6 conversion
The Donor car; 2003 Outback ez30 H6 auto
The Daily/Camping Car: 2012 Isuzu Dmax Dual Cab SX 4x4 auto
ahrexwagon

Car: 2002 BH Liberty Wagon ez30 - 5mt

Postby timmmyrogers » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:35 am

timmmyrogers

Postby sheppo9 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm

The cockatoos are louder than the car.
sheppo9

Car: An Outback

Postby timmmyrogers » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:35 am

sheppo9 wrote:The cockatoos are louder than the car.

those birds are demonic

https://youtu.be/qKONrnZTuOQ
timmmyrogers

Postby Chyvv » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:47 pm

Judging by the image you were a P Plater when you did the swap, any trouble convincing VicRoads it was a factory option engine? Any issues with P plate legality? I'm likely about to embark on the same mission with my semi-exploded EJ25
Chyvv

Car: BH Liberty RX 2.5

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific