New to the liberty life - things you wish you knew earlier

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

New to the liberty life - things you wish you knew earlier

Postby Borjo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:36 pm

I bought an MY06 spec B at Christmas and love it.

I've been reading through random threads, just trying to get my head around it all but thought I would throw up this question: what is something you wish you'd known about your liberty earlier than you did?

Any other knowledge, tips, tricks or hints that you wanna pass on to this liberty rookie would be greatly appreciated.

I've got a few maintenance things I've gotta do but then I'll be looking at mods and upgrads in the future; suspension, wheels, tyres, brakes, exhaust and probably a turbo at some point.

Would love to hear from any of you.
Borjo

Car: 3.0R Spec.B

Re: New to the liberty life - things you wish you knew earli

Postby BillyCorgi » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 pm

Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby Spec BSC » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:54 am

As for getting more power out of the H6 engine, turbo is certainly one option, but in my opinion unless you open the engine and lower the CR you will be limited to low boost which will still give you a decent shove, Supercharging suits the H6 better as an unopened engine because of the way in which the power is delivered and the strain it puts on the engine components Choose what option and any system carefully. Enjoy it is a great engine.
The first engine died after eating to much CAT
The second engine died of a broken piston
The third engine is in the car
The fourth engine is in the machine shop

So far: Rotrex Supercharger (16 psi) FMIC,DW300c fuel pump, ID1050 injectors
Producing 431bhp and 350 lb/ft torque on the Rotrex SC not finished yet
Raptor headers, 75mm Milltek exhaust with Quad tips,
Custom made 4032 forged pistons by JE Pistons, forged conrods, Exedy Clutch
K sport 8 pot front, 4 pot rears all on 330mm discs, Hel brake lines
Meister R coil overs, Whiteline 21mm rear ARB, Perrin end links and strengthening brackets
Complete Whiteline kit for the front suspension including steering rack
One off Carbon effect Front grill, Carbon lip spoiler, Exterior De-chromed, LED interior light conversion.
Recaro Leather front seats with all functionality.
Waist spoiler, Smoked rear lights,, LED sill plates, LED sidelights
Prodrive PFF7's 18x8, in Bronze shod with 235/40/18 Goodyears.
Spec BSC

Car: Spec B supercharged, forged engine
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=25835

Postby Borjo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Spec BSC wrote:As for getting more power out of the H6 engine, turbo is certainly one option, but in my opinion unless you open the engine and lower the CR you will be limited to low boost which will still give you a decent shove, Supercharging suits the H6 better as an unopened engine because of the way in which the power is delivered and the strain it puts on the engine components Choose what option and any system carefully. Enjoy it is a great engine.

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for the info. I'd love to read up more about it, I don't suppose you would be able to point me in the right direction?
Borjo

Car: 3.0R Spec.B

Postby wildotan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:20 am

I've had my MY05 3.0RB Wagon since 08 (9 yrs) and it's been a rock solid family car - good for commutes, longer drives and camping (and of course the occasional spirited hard driving).
Love the balance between luxury and performance. But will soon look at mods when a new bigger car is required, so mine is completely stock - can't comment too much on upgrades yet.

Planning on Raptor SC and headers + exhaust + Brembo brake upgrade when this becomes my mod car. It's that or the Focus RS :))

Here are the maintenance issues to look for:

1) I've heard of more than 3 liberty wagons with rust issues on the roof along the plastic moldings that run front-to-back. Small bubbles near the roof rack mounts (I've had mine done twice now both left and right sides to cut out, weld and restore looks as good as new) - put electronic rust protection on the car if you intend to keep it long term.

2) The shitty central locking actuators. The doors need to come apart, take out the white plastic actuators in its sealed casing and crack it open, clean it out then replace with OEM motors. (subaru want some ridiculous amounts to replace them, but I managed to get them all done myself for about $30 of motors off ebay and a few hrs work. The casing needs to be heated up to loosen the glue, cracked open with a knife and then motors replaced. Casing is resealed with silicon and stainless nuts and bolts, I doubt you'll ever need to change them again. Original ones failed because the actuators were filled with too much lubricant grease getting into the motors. There's a thread in here with a walk through. Kudos

3) Oil use between services, unfortunately mine does drink a little oil - between 500ml - 700ml every 10k, enough to notice a difference on the dipstick but not enough to worry about. Read reports that is due to improper run in, but seen enough people have it that I reckon it's part and parcel of the H6. Just watch for it and top up regularly.

4) Had my clutch replaced @ 120k, now at 220k still going but will expect it to need attention soon. Mid engine mount also replaced. Suspension bushes replaced.

5) Electrical - replaced reverse and neutral switches replaced when worn out (it's at the top of the engine under the intake - so all the top has to come off to get to it.) A couple of relays, bulbs... (Front left H7 bulb always seems to go first)

6) Electrical - reversing light - had mine traced at S-Technic and found it was a broken wire in the loom between door and pillar...they mentioned it was the second one to come in with the same issue.

7) Speakers - my OEM paper cones blew last year and replaced them myself with kicker drivers from JB HiFi direct bolt out bolt in replacements (sounds awesome)

So there it is - might seem like a big list, but that's over almost 10 years of ownership, and the car still looks pretty damn sexy.
wildotan

Car: 2005 3.0RB Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:22 pm

yep and I've linked them all in my sig :)

i'll add this one soon:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34980
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific