Questions about 3.0r spec. B gearbox/clutch

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Questions about 3.0r spec. B gearbox/clutch

Postby quasarcreator » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi all

My dad and I are looking at getting a 2008 3.0r spec. B wagon this weekend, it has around 90,000km and seems to be in good condition.
He went to test drive it the other day (I was at school so couldn't go :P) and said he had some questions about the transmission.

Firstly, he said that the gearbox felt quite 'loose', just not very tight - is this normal? I know these cars got the STi 6-speed and I doubt it's supposed to feel like that. Would this be a relatively simple fix?
Secondly he mentioned that the friction point of the clutch felt quite vague at times - again is this just a sign of an old, worn out clutch?

Just for comparison, could the car my dad drives affect his judgment of the gearbox in anyway? He drives an R33 GT-R with a super tight gearbox - how similar is that to the STi transmission? Both of us also drive the family's 2010 Outback turbo diesel 6 speed manual - which does have a pretty sloppy gearbox.

We will be going tomorrow to check the car out again, this time however I'll be going as well to give my input. I'd just like to know in advance if any of the things mentioned are normal, or if they aren't, how big of a job they would be to fix. I've read through the forum a bit and am aware of the need to check the oil levels in the EZ30 regularly, are there any other important issues I should know of?
Sorry about the long post :P

quasarcreator

Car: 2008 3.0r spec. B wagon 6mt

Re: Questions about 3.0r spec. B gearbox/clutch

Postby BillyCorgi » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:33 pm

quasarcreator wrote:
he said that the gearbox felt quite 'loose', just not very tight - is this normal?

The 6MT suffers from worn shifter bushes.
They are readily replaced.
Hit up CorgiWerx for a new set.

Imagefree image hosting
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby Tonic » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:05 pm

Yeah I concur with the gear shifter bushes need replacement. 250K on mine and still the original clutch. But had to replace the shifter bushes. Just bought another with 80,000 on it and when it gets its new airbag on Monday it is also getting a shifter bushes kit
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby quasarcreator » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:44 pm

BillyCorgi wrote:
quasarcreator wrote:
he said that the gearbox felt quite 'loose', just not very tight - is this normal?

The 6MT suffers from worn shifter bushes.
They are readily replaced.
Hit up CorgiWerx for a new set.

Imagefree image hosting

Ahhh thanks! I remember reading that somewhere else but couldn't quite remember. Is it normal for the bushes to wear out below 100,000km?
And I'll make sure to buy some :)
quasarcreator

Postby quasarcreator » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Tonic wrote:Yeah I concur with the gear shifter bushes need replacement. 250K on mine and still the original clutch. But had to replace the shifter bushes. Just bought another with 80,000 on it and when it gets its new airbag on Monday it is also getting a shifter bushes kit

Ahh right, thanks for the response :)
quasarcreator

Postby 666 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:55 am

The loose feeling is the shifter bushes, cheap fix parts wise with the labour the most difficult part. Change the reverse gear switch in the top of the gearbox while you are at it too as these tend to go and have roughly the same labour involved as the bushes. At 90,000klms the gearbox should be still in good condition, decent gearbox oil can help the shifts especially when cold. I use Redline Shockproof in mine for over 9 years but choose your own from what is out there. The friction point could be related to the drive by wire throttle which can make the pick up point hard to judge. A tune will iron out that and make the car better to drive so consider a tune even without mods it is a worthwhile investment.

Rob.

Car: Spec.B

Postby quasarcreator » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:57 pm

666 wrote:The loose feeling is the shifter bushes, cheap fix parts wise with the labour the most difficult part. Change the reverse gear switch in the top of the gearbox while you are at it too as these tend to go and have roughly the same labour involved as the bushes. At 90,000klms the gearbox should be still in good condition, decent gearbox oil can help the shifts especially when cold. I use Redline Shockproof in mine for over 9 years but choose your own from what is out there. The friction point could be related to the drive by wire throttle which can make the pick up point hard to judge. A tune will iron out that and make the car better to drive so consider a tune even without mods it is a worthwhile investment.

Rob.

Thanks for the reply :) Could you provide a rough estimate of labour hours? And by extension what would the labour costs be?
quasarcreator

Postby 666 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm

At home under the ramps with no idea on how to do it, all day. On a hoist with a mechanic that has done it before 2 hours at around $75-100 PH Those times include doing the reverse switch by the way.

Rob

Car: Spec.B

Postby Mariano » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:56 pm

You really need hoist. It took about 2 hours to do. Gearbox is like new again, highly recommend to change these bushings it makes so big difference. :) This 6 speed STI gearbox is really good compared to any make and gear ratios are spot on...
Mariano

Car: Legacy 3.0R Spec.B 6mt -06

Postby jp928 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:59 pm

In my experience the big difference between the 3.0RB 6mt and the GT 6mt is the 3.0 has much less torque low down compared to the GT 2.5T, so the clutch takes more abuse getting off the line, so test the clutch out thoroughly. The 6mt is NOT the same as the STI unit - it doesnt have the internal oil pump AFAIK.
jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Postby vinshonz » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:16 pm

jp928 wrote:In my experience the big difference between the 3.0RB 6mt and the GT 6mt is the 3.0 has much less torque low down compared to the GT 2.5T, so the clutch takes more abuse getting off the line, so test the clutch out thoroughly. The 6mt is NOT the same as the STI unit - it doesnt have the internal oil pump AFAIK.
jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon

3.0RB, 2.5T, STI all fit the same 240mm clutch and flywheel
(found this out when i had to find a clutch for my car)
ref
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34940

in 2007 they started to make 6MT without internal oil pumps for scrapers

ref:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1611975
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1699387
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showth ... ?t=1574301
2008 Liberty GT Tuned by STi 27 of 250 made
PnP VF52, AVO TBE into TCP-Ti Mufflers, AVO panel filter, Mishimoto TMIC, Turbosmart Kompact BOV, Kobe Silicone Intake + SFB, Kobe 340LPH pump,
Tuspeed 3Port, Exedy HD + lightened flywheel, some Whiteline bits & Corgiwerx bits, Zeitronix Flex Fuel Analyser Kit , e85/98 Flex fuel -Got it REX tuned

2007 WRX Tuned by STi 35 of 200 made
STi Spec C TMIC+ProcessWest splitter, AVO TBE, X3E Silicone Intake, APS CAI, TurboSmart Kompact, Walbro, GrimmSpeed 3 Port, DEFI gauges
TD05-18G 198.5kw on RTRs Dyno - SOLD
vinshonz

Car: 2008 Liberty GT TunedBySTi

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific