Oil change for 2005 Spec B Lib

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Oil change for 2005 Spec B Lib

Postby specb_liberty » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Hello, I am planning on changing some of the fluids in my car myself for the next service (210k). I was unsure if I should use 5W30 or 10W30 Castrol Edge Full Synthetic Oil for the engine? I have seen on this forum that I should use some subaru upper engine cleaner, I can just buy that directly from subaru? Also I will be changing the gearbox and rear diff oil do they have crush washers like for the drain plug for the engine oil? Last thing, I'm sure that the engine oil drain plug is 17mm and for the gearbox and rear diff its the T70 torx? Thanks in advance.
specb_liberty

Car: MY05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Re: Oil change for 2005 Spec B Lib

Postby Buttz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Get a basic socket set for the engine oil sump plug. Have a filter removal tool handy as well.
Rear Diff Drain and fill plugs are just a 1/2" drive ratchet.
The gearbox depends on the gearbox. Auto i believe is the T70. Make sure you fill up the front diff as well as the gearbox. I have very little experience with auto boxes.

If its a manual, the basic socket set should be enough. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Upper engine cleaner can be purchased through Subaru, or there are alternatives that can be purchased through auto stores (Supercheap, Autobarn, Peps ECT.)
Buttz

Car: 06 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific