3.0 Spec B buying advise

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

3.0 Spec B buying advise

Postby Soon2bspecb » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi all,

I have just joined up here in an attempt to get the best info that I can on purchasing my new car.

I'm looking to purchase a 2005 - 2008 GEN 4 Liberty 3.0 Spec R auto ... probably sedan.

I have never owned a Subaru before. I'm 50+yo so have done all my racing etc in my younger years ... so just looking for a really comfortable, reliable cruising car (that makes a nice exhaust note) :)
If you could please advise me on a few queries that I have that would be great ..... and other advise you may also have.

1. Any particular year better than others?
2. Engine - any common problems, cam belt replacement cost and km intervals, millage (how much is too much?)
3. Stereo - Do they all come with McIntosh 14 speaker system with 6 stack CD, is this sound system a "top line system" (I have an Alpine with splits, subs and big amps atm - so will I be disappointed), do they have somewhere to plug in usb memory stick to play mp3's?
4. Interior trim - are they all leather or some cloth, sunroofs?
5. Wheels - are all years standard with 18", different style/colours/spoke numbers for different years?
6. Rear spoiler (was this an option)? don't actually want one!
7. Is the Sat Nav any good (compared with google maps on a phone)?
8. AWD - problems, driveshafts etc...
9. Aprox price range for a low km (40 - 70k) really tidy car?

Thanks,
Lindsay
Soon2bspecb

Re: 3.0 Spec B buying advise

Postby lorby » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:31 pm

I only just bought my liberty (an 04 spec b) so I'm not the best person to answer but I can possibly help a little bit.

2. They have a timing chain. Check for leaks, make sure it's not overfilled or underfilled. Bit hard to check for oil usage on a test drive unfortunately. Check the pulleys for noise, and the serpentine belt for cracks/wear
3. All the spec B's I've seen have it. Mines broken and doesn't sound particulary good compared to my half decent old system that I intend to move across (hertz splits, dual amps, 2x12" subs etc.). Not sure about facelift but the pre facelift has no aux or usb. CD only and radio. Changing the stereo is a bit of a task but doable. The facelift needs a fascia that includes the climate control also though as it's one peice.
4. Spec B I've only seen leather. I intend to purchase seat covers and they seem fairly readily available
5. Again spec B i've only seen 18's. I'm on the lookout for a nice set of stock 17's from another Subaru as I'd like slightly larger tires.
6. Mine has no spoiler, optional I believe.
8. Centre diff seems to be pretty common to need replacing or new fluid. Makes a knocking noise while turning tight especially after warming up. Reverse switch seems common too, I've just ordered a replacement for mine (the reverse lights flicker or done come on sometimes when selecting reverse). This is on the 6 speed though, not sure if it's the same for an auto. I've seen a few with a crack on the plastic manifold (surge tank I believe), not too hard to repair/replace though.
9. 40-70k is pretty low, they're gonna be after a mint for that mileage.

I'm a bit of a noob here so very happy to be corrected, this is just what I've found when searching for liberties for sale (when looking for mine) and spending hours googling and searching on this forum :)
lorby

Car: MY05 3.0R-b

Postby Soon2bspecb » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Thanks lorby,

That gives me a few things to think about.

Glad it has timing CHAIN :-)

Stereo sound a bit of a concern so will need to research.

What sort of price did you pay for yours (millage/condition/options etc...) if it's not to rude to ask?
Soon2bspecb

Postby Milhouse » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:13 pm

I've had my 04 3.0R-B manual sedan for around a year and a half now. I can't speak much for mechanicals as I'm far from an expert but I can offer advice on the sound system.

I personally consider the stock speakers in the H6s to sound great. They're not mind-blowing but when you consider they're stock from a $50k mid-2000s car they're quite impressive. When I purchased mine the two lower speakers in each front door were blown so I had them rebuilt cheaply through family friends. I believe there are a few threads around the audio forum that will walk you through suitable replacements. The subs also tend to go bad from what I've seen, with a Polk unit being a decent replacement.

The CD stacker in mine is jammed, which seems to be fairly common with the Gen 4s. I have plugged an aftermarket AUX unit into the back of the stereo - it's a product called the AnyCar Link that I had shipped from somewhere in New Zealand for about AU$150. You can also get them in USB variants. Mind you it now crackles and carries on so you may have better luck than me. Others have used GROM units (circa $200) to great success, and there are again threads comparing and informing in the audio forum.
Milhouse

Car: MY05 3.0R-B sedan

Postby Soon2bspecb » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Thanks Milhouse,

I commute only around 25mins each way to work and love to have my 80's tunes "pumpin" on my usb stick. My Alpine stereo in my current ride is pretty awesome, although I only have front splits and 2 x 10" subs where the rear passengers would sit. It's a 2 seater car now and being a small car with 2 large amps, so it has plenty of punch.

I guess I will just have to "test drive" to stereo to compare, but I will definitely have a good look at the different threads that you suggest.

I'd like to keep all the standard head units if possible to save for all the issues where steering control etc... don't work with aftermarket replacements :-(

Do you have a stock exhaust ... or do alot of owners fit systems with a bit of "bark"?
Soon2bspecb

Postby Milhouse » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:18 pm

Yeah the AnyCar I have now doesn't work with the track selector buttons on the steering wheel, not sure if the USB versions or GROM units do. Volume, mute etc. on the steering wheel obviously work but that's independent of the audio source.

I've swapped out the standard mufflers on mine for the quad tips that came from the tbSTi grade models. You can pick these up from forum members for around $400-500 in good condition. They are a direct bolt on and are marginally louder than stock, but they look great and they help bring out the H6 noise without sounding aftermarket. I've also got some loose heatshield rattling around which also seems to be a common Subaru occurrence so you win some you lose some!

A lot of people go X-Force or Ultrex for a relatively cheap upgrade. These two are on the cheaper end of the spectrum, with Ultrex being the 'budget' brand. They've got their own website you can check out - they also do a variety of exterior mods. I can't speak for their products as I've not used them but the quads seem to sound good from what I've heard on YouTube. If you want a nicer tone you can go up the chain and get second-hand TCP Auto quads (now discontinued I believe, they only get produced in limited runs every now and then), Phat quads or K2Gear quads if you feel like forking out a small fortune. Here's a thread on the various brands, look for the 3.0R videos. There's also tons on YouTube, and even a compilation from memory. The H6s definitely don't have the Subaru rumble, more the smooth 'Porsche scream' that is amazing in its own right.
Milhouse

Car: MY05 3.0R-B sedan

Postby Tonic » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:47 pm

I bought a My06 near new.
Wonderful drive.
1. Facelift has different wheels and slots things in rear bumper. Sdrive came in a bit later than my model.
2. Beware oil use... I blew my engine as it used 400ml per 1Kkm and well it happened so no use bitching now. But have to check regularly. Subaru not interested unless using over 500ml per 1Kkm and full to empty is only a litre or so on the dipstick. Best tip: Get a kido tune and it will get better fuel economy and better power delivery. Search the forums.
3. Speakers are easily replaced cheaply but a new system is a bit extreme and you would really need to want superb sound as the stock system is fine generally. If the mac amp goes then a new system is a go ... apparently change over wiring is not simply plug and play.... no USB.
4.spec b is leather trim with sunroof. 10 years of ownership and seats leather is still good, sunroof still works and no electric problems apart from door lock actuators and 1 window motor.
5. Two types only.... prefacelift and post as far as I know.
6. Spoiler was option. Not needed really.
7. Sat Nav? What sat Nav? Maybe facelift has it??.
8. Replaced the viscous coupling $1K, and hubs at a few hundred each but that was 200Kkm of enthusiastic driving. Suspension and brakes still untouched on mine (pads excepted)
9. Good luck finding that but maybe a letter model under say $20K??? Worth investigating.

Good luck... it is a drive to match Europeans at twice the price....
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby Soon2bspecb » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:16 pm

Thanks Tonic,

1. Yeah, not really keen on the slotted bumper look but not a show stopper.
What is the Sdrive exactly compared to those without it?
2. Ok. It seems that I need to be careful in the oil leak/use area.
3. No USB :-( .... thanks. Yeah some mentioned changing speakers as the Subi ones seem to full apart a bit.
7. Satellite Navigation. We bought an aftermarket Sat Nav for my partners Honda CRV and it's bloody awful in regards to direction/maps :-(

Had a listen to some of the exhaust posts and the extractors and the X-Force might be worth doing if standard doesn't "cut the mustard" !

Lindsay
Soon2bspecb

Postby Tonic » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:46 pm

S-drive has a couple of drive modes I believe... you know Luke sport or economy etc...

Oil use a biggie... if it clicks as it runs it may be the big end bearing.

I am consodering a full make over for mine... in which case supercharger the go
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby Soon2bspecb » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Hi all,

Just bought my new car so I'm not "soon2bspecb" anymore but rather "specbowner" :D

It's a grey/silver 2005 3.0R spec B auto sedan with only 49,000 kms on the clock 8)
It's got an X-Force cat back system but other than that STANDARD :o

The only mod that I "need" to do to it is the usb thing (play mp3's) and bluetooth for Samsung phone calls (if possible).
It has the McIntosh with the plain square buttons (not the cool looking round buttons)
Will also need a new rear sub woofer on the parcel shelf at some time ... or an improvement (BIGGER) sub? ...

I have read .... and confused myself to death with the threads here .... so any further advice would be much appreciated :D
Soon2bspecb

Postby mogtribe » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi all,

Some good info in this thread! I've also just joined as I'm in the process of changing jobs, losing my company car and hopefully looking to buy a pre-facelift 3.0R Spec-B manual wagon.

Years ago I owned a Gen2 Liberty RX wagon, so I'm looking forward to potentially owning another Liberty :D
mogtribe

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Manual Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34505

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific