What is wrong with my engine?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

What is wrong with my engine?

Postby Blueregalpearlh6 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Hi guys,

Recently purchased a 2005 3.0 Spec.B and after a couple of weeks of ownership i have noticed the following...

1. When smoothly blending the clutch and accelerator from 1sr to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd there is almost an orbital grind noise. Like a bearing is not happy.
2. On idle there is a thug thug thug... noise
3. When the clutch is fully depressed (seperated) and i spike the revs, say 3000-4000 there is a similar noise to when i release the clutch between the gears metioned above, however it is more voilent and louder.

This has been annoying be ever since, and i hate having my car not 100% as everything else on the car is perfect.
The service history is impeciable, serviced every 9000-10000 without fail.

I recently took it to ross at cromwood auto care here in victoria, he suggested replacing the throw out bearing, and clutch fork as he found they were bent, of which i got him to do. However this has not fixed the noise, and me and ross have no idea what it is.

Attached is a video of what it sounds like on idle (not my video or anything just a random one i found that sounds the same)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntBJc6OVJAA
(Similar deep bearing sound on idle though its quieter than that)

If anyone has any idea what this noise is, or even what my next plan of action should be that would be amazing.

Thanks Rhys.
Blueregalpearlh6

Re: What is wrong with my engine?

Postby HardwareBoB » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 am

I was reading this post and thought "yep, throw out bearing..." but it turns out you've done that already.
Maybe take some data logs and see if there's anything hinky going on at that time?
Possibly try and record the noise if you can.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Blueregalpearlh6 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:45 am

I was reading this post and thought "yep, throw out bearing..." but it turns out you've done that already.
Maybe take some data logs and see if there's anything hinky going on at that time?
Possibly try and record the noise if you can.

Yeah ill try to record it, but it will be a mission to do especially when driving. Maybe when i save some more money ill go ahead and try and find more about it. Im being fairly picky tho like apart from that noise everything else is so good about the car... thanks for your reply though
Blueregalpearlh6

Postby Tonic » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:37 am

How many km? Could be the bearings on the belts pulley wheels?... had those go at bout 180Kkm. To me that is the culprit because with the spike in revs with the clutch in suggests one of these is about to fail.... cheap repair though.
Just clocked up 230,000 in my 2005 and in that time have done one engine.... I hope it is not the big end on yours because that is $... and check oil use because I dried mine out between 5,000km services
Or
Viscous coupling $1K
Front hubs - $100's
Belt pulleys - cheap
And just started losing synchro in 4th and 5th - Erik rebuild coming because I only did the viscous coupling 6 months ago!

All these gave funny crunching/grinding/whining noises first..
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby BillyCorgi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:42 am

If you are saying the sound is like the sound of the Transfer Drive Gear Bearing min the VDO (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntBJc6OVJAA) then maybe the transfer gear bearings need replacement?

I would put the car up onto four axles stands, start teh engine and put it in gear, then get under and around the car to locate the position of the grumble?

Remember, the transfer gearset do not rotate when the vehicle is stationary, so they may be reasonably eliminated if the grumble is occurring at idle.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby Blueregalpearlh6 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:32 pm

How many km? Could be the bearings on the belts pulley wheels?... had those go at bout 180Kkm. To me that is the culprit because with the spike in revs with the clutch in suggests one of these is about to fail.... cheap repair though.
Just clocked up 230,000 in my 2005 and in that time have done one engine.... I hope it is not the big end on yours because that is $... and check oil use because I dried mine out between 5,000km services
Or
Viscous coupling $1K
Front hubs - $100's
Belt pulleys - cheap
And just started losing synchro in 4th and 5th - Erik rebuild coming because I only did the viscous coupling 6 months ago!

All these gave funny crunching/grinding/whining noises first..

Hmm... my car has 140xxx km on it. I the bearings on the belts pully wheels as you susgest soung good!! But now coming to think of it there might be two problems, because that is when my foot is pressing the clutch, and there is a seperate grumble when at idke and irs just sitting there which disapears when i put the clutch in...

Im going to have more of a look tomorrow - borrow a mates garage and tools ;)

Thanks for your reply!
Blueregalpearlh6

Postby Blueregalpearlh6 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:35 pm

If you are saying the sound is like the sound of the Transfer Drive Gear Bearing min the VDO (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ntBJc6OVJAA) then maybe the transfer gear bearings need replacement?

I would put the car up onto four axles stands, start teh engine and put it in gear, then get under and around the car to locate the position of the grumble?

Remember, the transfer gearset do not rotate when the vehicle is stationary, so they may be reasonably eliminated if the grumble is occurring at idle.

Sorry to be confusing but i only used that video as a point of reference, i doubted myself from the reasons you listed that it would be the transfer gear bearings etc... because it only makes this grumble sound on idle and when the clutch is not depressed. However, the bearing noise sounds EXACTLY the same as the one in the video.

I will get it up in the air tomorrow to have a look!

Thanks for your reply
Blueregalpearlh6

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific