3.0R - 230K, occasonal pinging and rough idling

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

3.0R - 230K, occasonal pinging and rough idling

Postby jimmyP » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:36 pm

OK guys, so I Have an 04 outback, 230000 on the clock, and have the following symptoms:

- pinging under change of load - so if you're cruising along at say 2500- 3000rpm locked in gear with no load, and give a stab of extra throttle (even a little, i.e not WOT) , it'll ping momentarily - quite audibily. Has been doing this for a while.
- noticed the other day when I started it on an uphill incline, (cold) it was missing on 1 cyl , came good shortly after. this only happend once so far.
- general rougher than normal idling - Has been becoming more apparent recently, and combined with the miss, has me thinking things aren't good.

Plugs were replaced around 15000k ago, No problems otherwise - no noticeable loss of power @ WOT, no hesitation's or anything.

Going to be giving this a big service soon, i'm thinking fuel filter may be a culprit, or dirty AFM, but do these symptoms ring any other bells specifically? I have a Cheap ebay ODBII dongle I can hook up to torque (or whatever is out now, I haven't used it in years), so if there's anything i can look out for it on it would be nice to know!

thanks in adv
jimmyP

Car: 04 Outbck H6

Re: 3.0R - 230K, occasonal pinging and rough idling

Postby dan_ashcroft » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:55 am

I had a lot pinging when I first got my car.

From memory... I *think* it was the cracked intake plenum / surge tank that may have been doing it on mine, see http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26575&start=30

Ignore the advice in that thread to repair it by soldering iron, it only cracks again in a few weeks - take it to a plastic welder instead. I found an old fella locally in the yellow pages that only cost me $30 and half an hours worth of listening to life stories to get it fixed. (Where are you?)

If it's not that, come back and I'll rack my brains some more to see if there was something else I did.
dan_ashcroft

Car: MY06 3.0R-B on E85

Postby jimmyP » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:25 am

Legend, Thankyou! - Just had a look, and it's indeed cracked. Never would have noticed if I wasn't looking (at least not unless it got a lot worse)

Will attempt a temporary fix with tape or something maybe, just to see if it makes and difference, but will certainly take the advice to fix properly - never had much luck DIY plastic welding myself (I'm in bris BTW)
jimmyP

Car: 04 Outbck H6

Postby vaccine » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:19 pm

i had the same on the plenum before the Throttlebody and ended up using 2 part epoxy which seemed to have worked well so far.
.. Dave
vaccine

Car: MY05 3RB

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific