I/C for supercharging a 3.0

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

I/C for supercharging a 3.0

Postby nixwrx » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:54 pm

Just wondering what successes - or otherwise - people have had with intercooling the 3.0, especially as part of a supercharged setup?

I'm looking to get SCed (yes Raptor) soonish and wondering what suggestions are out there in terms of off-the-shelf I/C systems versus full DIY and anything in-between the two.

I won't necessarily be looking to push every last kw out of the SC setup, for me it's more about safety and keeping performance consistent. Eventually I may end up on E85 with the SC but plan to start out on 98.

Cheers!
Nik
nixwrx

Car: 2005 3.0RB (sedan)

Re: I/C for supercharging a 3.0

Postby west_minist » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:03 pm

Justr make sure the core is efficient.

You should look into a water-air cool setup
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby Bennis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:13 pm

If I recall, Raptor is very particular on warranty/voids if you add an intercooler to their system that they don't sell. I can't remember exactly but I do remember reading it. They do sell an intercooler for their kit that they have tried and tested to work efficiently with their design.

This all being said, I have used cheap intercoolers on turbo cars in the past many times and never had a problem, but still you wouldn't want to void the warranty.
Bennis

Car: 3.0R Outback

Postby Tradewind » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:42 pm

Bennis wrote:If I recall, Raptor is very particular on warranty/voids if you add an intercooler to their system that they don't sell. I can't remember exactly but I do remember reading it. They do sell an intercooler for their kit that they have tried and tested to work efficiently with their design.

This all being said, I have used cheap intercoolers on turbo cars in the past many times and never had a problem, but still you wouldn't want to void the warranty.

You are correct. However it would be possible to make an air to air system that would be warrantable but ........... I would want to test it for compressor surge and boost pressure loss for a while before I would give it a tick and confirm it didnt damage the charger in the longer term
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific