FIREWALL FLEX

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

FIREWALL FLEX

Postby Flogger » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Liberty SpecB 3.0R 6sp MT around 8 months ago now I put a Exedy SportsTuff heavy duty clutch in my car.
Since then my problems have begun.
I have heard and through research, discovered that liberties more commonly between 2006 and 2008 have a weak firewall causing more flex creating clutch issues.
has anyone else faced these problems and if so does anyone have a solution to it? I know I have to reinforce the firewall I'm just no sure how to exactly go about doing that.
Cheers,

Regards,

Michael
Flogger

Car: 2007 liberty 3.0r SpecB MT

Re: FIREWALL FLEX

Postby Curley5959 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:30 pm

What problems have developed exactly? It could be a number of things depending on the issues that you are having. Shudder, Vibration, Soft Pedal, No Pedal, Gears not engaging?
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Postby Flogger » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:34 am

Curley5959 wrote:What problems have developed exactly? It could be a number of things depending on the issues that you are having. Shudder, Vibration, Soft Pedal, No Pedal, Gears not engaging?

The pedal feels the same, sometimes it feels softer but thats just my bulky legs used to the heavy clutch.
The symptoms I'm having are irrespective of how I let the clutch out; on letting the clutch out mainly through 2nd and 3rd gear the car will either jerk forward and launch or will feel like I've just slid my foot of the side of the clutch and violently jerk back.
We have looked at the firewall whilest the clutch is being pushed in and seems to be alot more flex then should be.
Flogger

Postby Curley5959 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:06 pm

Have a look into engine mounts or the pitch stop mount. Even the gearbox mount. If there is something moving when the pedal is released it may cause a clunk.

The only other things I can think of, and don't quote me on this, are:
- Oil Seal Leaking - It is possible there is oil on the clutch from a leaking rear main seal. Was this replaced when the clutch was done?
- Clutch hydraulic fluid needs replaced? Air in the system? Or Master/Slave Cylinder has an issue. Try bleeding it. I would recommend an air bleeder. I was left carless when trying to bleed it traditionally.
- Clutch pedal needs adjustment? Where is the pressure/friction point? I had all sorts of issues with mine when I had a new slave cylinder installed. Wasn't bled properly and the clutch would be soft/non-existent when cold and almost at the top of the pedal travel when hot.
- Misaligned pressure plate? Was the clutch aligned using an alignment tool?
- Any shuddering when taking off? Was the flywheel machined?
- Is your flywheel single mass or dual mass? If it is dual mass and wasn't replaced and you have installed an Exedy HD, it might be causing issues.

This article here is very informative. Have a read and see if you have those symtoms.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf40459.htm

Hope this helps
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Postby Flogger » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks alot Curley :D sorry for the very very late reply I've been dealing with the issues and still driving daily have bleed it many times, only things to check from your post would be the pressure plate I suspect is the problem and flywheel.
My clutch is oposite high friction close to the top when cold and afew centermeters off the floor when warm.
What ended up being the issue with your clutch?
Flogger

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific