Improving the sleeper

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Improving the sleeper

Postby Boogs » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:06 pm

Swipez wrote:
Boogs wrote:Where do I start...

Swipez - youre kinda correct, but also wrong.

1. you can have CAIs legally. as long as the MAFs and all the shit is still there.
its only a pipe. and in most cases, you cant even tell the difference between a stocker and an aftermarket one.
2. you can have basic mods without an engineers certificate - as per Alexies post/screen shot..
3. P platers cant have mods that produce more than 20% of the cars power - so basic exhaust, headers, intake mods are perfectly fine.
4. pods are legal - providing they are fully enclosed.
5. please dont breed.

Geez boogs, you don't hold back holy shiet.
I quoted Tim about the RAPTOR CAI. I'm not talking about all other CAI. And yous can think all you want, and despite what yous have been reading, I'm trying to help this fella out. Cops are getting people for this shit okay. Thanks for having a go at me for it.

Cops booking people for Raptor CAIs?
Who?

Slee? LOL
Boogs

Car: Gen4adore

Postby Tradewind » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:07 pm

Cops have never booked a person with a Raptor RAM Intake - ever

Yes, it does require a retune, it does use the original MAF sensor, its very much looking stock, it only emits fine audio when engine is revved hard past 5000rpm - likely you are already going WAY over 60kmh or whatever the speed zone is lol. And finally, it doesnt emit anything emission wise, nor does the original item.
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby Boogs » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:01 pm

Tradewind wrote:Cops have never booked a person with a Raptor RAM Intake - ever

Yes, it does require a retune, it does use the original MAF sensor, its very much looking stock, it only emits fine audio when engine is revved hard past 5000rpm - likely you are already going WAY over 60kmh or whatever the speed zone is lol. And finally, it doesnt emit anything emission wise, nor does the original item.

hahahah exactly...
Boogs

Car: Gen4adore

Postby dr20t » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:35 pm

In Swipez defence:

1. Many cops are judge, jury, executioner when it comes to modified cars (with all due respect, Boogs). This leaves ALL laws, guidelines and regulations subject to personal, subjective interpretation in practice. The likelihood of modified car enthusiasts having the legal nouse and confidence to argue the technical aspects of the law with your random officer, is very low. Even when the modified car driver does posess these capabilities, the fine(s) will be issued in more cases than not, and any objection will need to be heard in a court of law by the appellant.

2. If a tune needs to be modified to accommodate the maf pipe / inlet change (which it almost always does), then it's a physical impossibility for the emissions profile of the vehicle to remain unchanged.

3. A maf pipe change on a turbo car can and has resulted in a blown engine. This is different for an n/a car as the variance in airflow requirements between vacuum and boost is not present as in a turbo car.
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby Swipez » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:50 pm

dr20t wrote:In Swipez defence:

1. Many cops are judge, jury, executioner when it comes to modified cars (with all due respect, Boogs). This leaves ALL laws, guidelines and regulations subject to personal, subjective interpretation in practice. The likelihood of modified car enthusiasts having the legal nouse and confidence to argue the technical aspects of the law with your random officer, is very low. Even when the modified car driver does posess these capabilities, the fine(s) will be issued in more cases than not, and any objection will need to be heard in a court of law by the appellant.

2. If a tune needs to be modified to accommodate the maf pipe / inlet change (which it almost always does), then it's a physical impossibility for the emissions profile of the vehicle to remain unchanged.

3. A maf pipe change on a turbo car can and has resulted in a blown engine. This is different for an n/a car as the variance in airflow requirements between vacuum and boost is not present as in a turbo car.

Thank you Mick...
The funny thing is, I constantly talk and meet up with current NSW highway patrol officers and other traffic police. This is what we talk about, we discuss what drivers are getting pinned for. I am on my way to becoming a highway patrol officer also. I just stated in the post that this is what cops are prepared to write tickets for. And about the CAI, I quoted a post from Tim, quite a long time ago in his Raptor CAI post. (And Tim, I never said cops have booked people for Raptor CAI, so don't freak out that I'm dissing your product, because I too, want one). That is all. Didn't mean to stir anything. Just quoted Tim. And when it comes to NSW Road and car laws, I know exactly what I'm talking about. And I'll stand by that all day long.
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby Swipez » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:55 pm

So, when our friend merely asked about improving the sleeper, I let him know to be very careful about it. So with the H6 engine, if you're not going E85, and want to keep it as sensible and as reliable/simple as possible, and get mufflers, Raptor headers and a 98 tune. Perfect. How can you argue with that? Cheap, reliable, performance better in every way.
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby Zig_Zac » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:50 pm

I have a set of ultrex mufflers which I had on my outback for under 500km. Sounded nice, but I'm old, so went with STi mufflers for peace and quiet :)
Zig_Zac

Car: 2004 Outback 3.0R

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific