Improving the sleeper

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Improving the sleeper

Postby HugoNL » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:00 pm

I have recently bought a 2005 3.0R wagon of my Aunty who had used it to drive to the shops so the km's are low and the car is in great condition for its age.

It's an auto though and with the beige interior I want to keep it quite understated and civilized but be able to go like the clappers (which it already does like all 3.0R's).

I have owned a car before with an exhaust and I miss it, apart from the stupidly loud and annoying cruising speed.

What I am asking you guys about is the best exhaust to remain understated and bearable at cruising speeds, but can really echo that epic boxer soundtrack and importantly enhance the power output.

(Keep it in mind that I know it's a bit iffy putting an exhaust on an automatic)

Also whilst I am here, how much would an ECU chip and tune cost? and who is trustworthy enough to do it without taking advantage of my poor, ill informed, vulnerable, little self.

I live in Sydney's North West.

Thanks
HugoNL

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Wagon

Re: Improving the sleeper

Postby JTR » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:26 pm

Can go with a set of Raptor CAI and/or headers, 3rd cat delete followed by whatever exhaust system you wanna run. (Xforce do a cat-back system or can get STI or Ultrex mufflers and use factory resonator) And as for tuning speak to matt from Kido tuning memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7166, can even upgrade your fuel pump and get a flex fuel tune to run E85. After that if you want more power, there is a supercharger kit available from Raptor check here viewforum.php?f=65

Also read here for more info viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31841
JTR

Car: Liberty 3.0 Spec B

Postby Swipez » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:01 pm

JTR wrote:Can go with a set of Raptor CAI and/or headers, 3rd cat delete followed by whatever exhaust system you wanna run. (Xforce do a cat-back system or can get STI or Ultrex mufflers and use factory resonator) And as for tuning speak to matt from Kido tuning memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7166, can even upgrade your fuel pump and get a flex fuel tune to run E85. After that if you want more power, there is a supercharger kit available from Raptor check here viewforum.php?f=65

Also read here for more info viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31841

That's basically all your options outlined right there...
But if you wanted to go the cheapest, nicest route possible, you should get ultrex mufflers, singles or quads, your choice... And get a tune from Matt. BTW STi mufflers on the stock exhaust system are SUPER quiet. Ultrex or TCP auto mufflers will give you the sound you want. That's all you need. Should run you no more than $800 for everything and it'll go, and sound like it is spec'd out. :)
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby HugoNL » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks fellas, I'll have a look into that.

Would you know what the NSW legalities would have to say about a raptor CAI and headers? It's just I'm on 0 demerit points until I get my fulls in a few months.

Merci
HugoNL

Car: 2005 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Wagon

Postby Swipez » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:38 pm

HugoNL wrote:Thanks fellas, I'll have a look into that.

Would you know what the NSW legalities would have to say about a raptor CAI and headers? It's just I'm on 0 demerit points until I get my fulls in a few months.

Merci

You're in luck, because I just happen to be good mates with PLENTY of highway patrol officers in nsw. As I'm becoming one myself, don't hate lmao.

You'll find that ANY modification requires an engineer's certificate. This includes CAI/pod filters etc. At the end of the day you CAN be defected for ANY modification that does not have an engineers certificate. However some mods are obviously less obvious than others. Headers for one, are very hard to be pinned for. If you have a stupid loud car, and you get pulled over for it, sure the cop will search your entire exhaust and get you for performance parts. So... Make sure you have a resonator, and sensible mufflers, then he won't even look at you when you drive past. The CAI on the other hand is much more risky if a cop were to inspect your car, despite it being enclosed, it doesn't make you impervious to getting defected. So as I said, keep to stock airbox. Plus if you slap the CAI on and you don't have it tuned IMMEDIATELY, your engine will explode as soon as you touch the throttle and I'm not joking.

Get headers, get a 98 ULP tune and you're golden.

If you have any questions about car laws in nsw just let me know :)
Swipez

Postby alexeiwoody » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:40 pm

Swipez wrote: Ultrex or TCP auto mufflers....

Auto and manuals have the same mufflers... :D

Swipez wrote: Plus if you slap the CAI on and you don't have it tuned IMMEDIATELY, your engine will explode as soon as you touch the throttle and I'm not joking.

Not sure if serious, but this is not the case. It will depend greatly on the CAI itself, and somewhat on how the car is driven. Often you'll get away with put-putting to the tuner after fitting a similar-to-stock CAI. The thing to look out for is a CAI with a larger than OEM sized MAF-housing, which will require immediate tuning, as every region of the tune will be affected in this case.

Also are you sure your info is correct? According to the NSW vehicle standards information - CAI's do not require a certificate, as long as they retain the manufacturer's emission control mechanisms.

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 2.23.55 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 2.23.55 pm.png (245.83 KiB) Viewed 4121 times

According to the standards - by far not every "mod" requires certification, although anything serious (bigger engine, turbo/S/c etc) and way off OEM spec - does. :)
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Swipez » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:51 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:
Swipez wrote: Ultrex or TCP auto mufflers....

Auto and manuals have the same mufflers... :D

Swipez wrote: Plus if you slap the CAI on and you don't have it tuned IMMEDIATELY, your engine will explode as soon as you touch the throttle and I'm not joking.

Not sure if serious, but this is not the case. It will depend greatly on the CAI itself, and somewhat on how the car is driven. Often you'll get away with put-putting to the tuner after fitting a similar-to-stock CAI. The thing to look out for is a CAI with a larger than OEM sized MAF-housing, which will require immediate tuning, as every region of the tune will be affected in this case.

Also are you sure your info is correct? According to the NSW vehicle standards information - CAI's do not require a certificate, as long as they retain the manufacturer's emission control mechanisms.

Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 2.23.55 pm.png

According to the standards - by far not every "mod" requires certification, although anything serious (bigger engine, turbo/S/c etc) and way off OEM spec - does. :)

I was quoting Tim from Raptor, he emphasised on this, but I don't know why it would explode so easily, but this is what he said. And also, yes I am sure my info is correct, mod referring to not a replacement, but an aftermarket modified part. BTW the raptor CAI does NOT have the same emissions as the standard air box. #1 it's induction noise is far louder, #2 you need a retune just to run the damn thing. #3 modifications with the purpose of increased performance are illegal amongst P platers. Hence why I'm telling our good friend here why he shouldn't buy one right now. This is coming from the mouths of current NSW highway patrol officers, who have spoke even about court cases where people tried to fight the defect fines and lost due to mods exactly like this needing a certificate.
Swipez

Postby alexeiwoody » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:03 pm

Swipez wrote:Yes I am serious, as just quoting Tim from Raptor. And also, yes I am sure my info is correct, mod referring to not a replacement, but an aftermarket modified part.

Haha well now you know. As long as the MAF housing is the same size, you'll be able to idle and drive around sedately without too many issues.

And check my screenshot. The standards specifically address aftermarket modifications.

Swipez wrote: BTW the raptor CAI does NOT have the same emissions as the standard air box. #1 it's induction noise is far louder, #2 you need a retune just to run the damn thing. #3 modifications with the purpose of increased performance are illegal amongst P platers. Hence why I'm telling our good friend here why he shouldn't buy one right now. This is coming from the mouths of current NSW highway patrol officers, who have spoke even about court cases where people tried to fight the defect fines and lost due to mods exactly like this needing a certificate.

Since you edited yours a little - I'll answer here. The Standards clearly sate "systems that retain the original emission control equipment". Raised emissions due to a more aggressive tune - are a tune problem.

Swipez wrote:#3 modifications with the purpose of increased performance are illegal amongst P platers. Hence why I'm telling our good friend here why he shouldn't buy one right now.

Since when are we discussing P plater laws....?

And aren't you a P plater..... :? "Do as I say, not as I do" - ay? :lol:
Last edited by alexeiwoody on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Swipez » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:18 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:
Swipez wrote:Yes I am serious, as just quoting Tim from Raptor. And also, yes I am sure my info is correct, mod referring to not a replacement, but an aftermarket modified part.

Haha well now you know. As long as the MAF housing is the same size, you'll be able to idle and drive around sedately without too many issues.

And check my screenshot. The standards specifically address aftermarket modifications.

I already knew, I'm saying in particular, Tim said that about his Raptor one. Anyway, I don't really care about what the standards said, coz in practise this is what is happening to people.
Swipez

Postby Boogs » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:19 pm

LOLOLOL
Boogs

Car: Gen4adore

Postby Boogs » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:24 pm

Where do I start...

Swipez - youre kinda correct, but also wrong.

1. you can have CAIs legally. as long as the MAFs and all the shit is still there.
its only a pipe. and in most cases, you cant even tell the difference between a stocker and an aftermarket one.
2. you can have basic mods without an engineers certificate - as per Alexies post/screen shot..
3. P platers cant have mods that produce more than 20% of the cars power - so basic exhaust, headers, intake mods are perfectly fine.
4. pods are legal - providing they are fully enclosed.
5. please dont breed.
Boogs

Postby Boogs » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:25 pm

and where the fuck do you get the idea of where the car will blow up with a CAI...

lol

brb
dying.
Boogs

Postby HardwareBoB » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:30 pm

Boogs wrote:and where the fuck do you get the idea of where the car will blow up with a CAI...

lol

brb
dying.

Mate I removed the milk bottle on my intake and later my car blew up. It's no joke.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Swipez » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:01 pm

Boogs wrote:Where do I start...

Swipez - youre kinda correct, but also wrong.

1. you can have CAIs legally. as long as the MAFs and all the shit is still there.
its only a pipe. and in most cases, you cant even tell the difference between a stocker and an aftermarket one.
2. you can have basic mods without an engineers certificate - as per Alexies post/screen shot..
3. P platers cant have mods that produce more than 20% of the cars power - so basic exhaust, headers, intake mods are perfectly fine.
4. pods are legal - providing they are fully enclosed.
5. please dont breed.

Geez boogs, you don't hold back holy shiet.
I quoted Tim about the RAPTOR CAI. I'm not talking about all other CAI. And yous can think all you want, and despite what yous have been reading, I'm trying to help this fella out. Cops are getting people for this shit okay. Thanks for having a go at me for it.
Swipez

Postby Swipez » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:03 pm

And I'm done with this post.
Swipez

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific