EZ30 Turbo

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

EZ30 Turbo

Postby Liam_Mangs » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:31 pm

Ive read a few articles saying that turboing the H6 EZ30 either requires an engine rebuild or don't even bother because it doesn't gain much power to bother bolting on a turbo.
I was wondering if this was true because at this point in time I'm tossing up whether to buy a GT (Spec.B or STI) or the H6 Spec.B wagon's and I'm considering using it for a long time and then eventually modding it to make a super wagon.
Has anyone had any experience with a tubroed EZ30 or knows of anyone who had and could possibly tell me if its a good or pointless idea?
Liam_Mangs

Re: EZ30 Turbo

Postby BillyCorgi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:58 pm

Suggest that things be kept in one post
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31841
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby kiahatsiu » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:03 am

What is your budget?
What are your power goals?
As Billy Corgi discretely alluded to there is a thread pretty much on this topic only three threads down, but I will post my answer here.

You can turbocharge the ez30. The ones I have seen made about 270kw on e85 running 10 psi. They were using gtx3076s. While that does sound like low boost (at it is), keep in mind that the ez30 is a thin cylinder walled engine, never intended to be turboed. The cylinder pressure would be quite high due to the compression and the boost, and that is what kills subaru engines.
Here where it gets interesting, that 270kw car was for all intents and purposes a faster car than my built 2.5 running 25+ psi through a bigger turbo, because its power was a lot more accessible. It was easier to launch, and much easier to live with daily, not that mine is bad.
As for built motors, A mate of mine had a built ez30 in a gen 2 some years ago, which entailed pauter rods, pistons and dowling of the bores. I am over simplifying the build, but it wasn't closed deck or anything outrageous. It made 330kw on 98 running 15 psi through a 4088. That motor is still running some 8 years after being built in a gc8, making around 450kw, maybe more now. That bottom end wasn't cheap by the way.

In short, Al and Miles at A&MAuto will do you a turbo on the h6 for around 10k drive in drive out. There might be some increase in that price now the AUD is down a bit, it might have driven the Garrett price up. Talk to them, that price includes a tune from Coyote in Brisbane from memory, though the last time I discussed this with them we were drunk.

I hope your power and budget goals are realistic. It is pretty easy to get swept up in bullshit power number mania that goes on in these parts. Just remember, it is area under the curve.
Kinda flush. Fitment is something. ADM as F*ck.
kiahatsiu

Car: Silver 05 GT Wagon

Postby HardwareBoB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:13 am

The main difference is you can't do it a bit at a time - with an EJ turbo, you can do it piecemeal, bit by bit. If you get a H6, you're up for a big hit when you get the engine built/whatever you choose to do and get the turbo setup.

If you are prepared for that - as Ian has said, the H6 will be a more tractable, "better" car. By the time you modify a car to go over 250kw atw, you're looking at enough custom work you're going to have to have a trusted performance shop in any case - approx 200kw atw on an EJ20X/Y/EJ255 is pretty straightforward.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Liam_Mangs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:49 am

BillyCorgi wrote:Suggest that things be kept in one post
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31841

Sorry my bad!
Liam_Mangs

Postby Liam_Mangs » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:53 am

kiahatsiu wrote:What is your budget?
As Billy Corgi discretely alluded to there is a thread pretty much on this topic only three threads down, but I will post my answer here.

You can turbocharge the ez30. The ones I have seen made about 270kw on e85 running 10 psi. They were using gtx3076s. While that does sound like low boost (at it is), keep in mind that the ez30 is a thin cylinder walled engine, never intended to be turboed. The cylinder pressure would be quite high due to the compression and the boost, and that is what kills subaru engines.
Here where it gets interesting, that 270kw car was for all intents and purposes a faster car than my built 2.5 running 25+ psi through a bigger turbo, because its power was a lot more accessible. It was easier to launch, and much easier to live with daily, not that mine is bad.
As for built motors, A mate of mine had a built ez30 in a gen 2 some years ago, which entailed pauter rods, pistons and dowling of the bores. I am over simplifying the build, but it wasn't closed deck or anything outrageous. It made 330kw on 98 running 15 psi through a 4088. That motor is still running some 8 years after being built in a gc8, making around 450kw, maybe more now. That bottom end wasn't cheap by the way.

In short, Al and Miles at A&MAuto will do you a turbo on the h6 for around 10k drive in drive out. There might be some increase in that price now the AUD is down a bit, it might have driven the Garrett price up. Talk to them, that price includes a tune from Coyote in Brisbane from memory, though the last time I discussed this with them we were drunk.

I hope your power and budget goals are realistic. It is pretty easy to get swept up in bullshit power number mania that goes on in these parts. Just remember, it is area under the curve.

Thanks mate! Super helpful.
Im not after a stupid amount of power just enough to enjoy on the streets, track, drag comfortably. And budget is sort of difficult to specify as I'm not planning on this happen at the moment as I need to buy the car first and then ill work out how much I'm willing to spend.

You've given me something to think about. At this point I'm thinking i might get a GT wagon and then maybe keeping that for a while until Subaru bring out a Levorg manual STi and ill get that brand new and make that my super wagon.

But who knows I still might pick up a H6 Spec.B if theres a good one and then I will go through the process of calling Al and Miles and venturing up there to get the work done.
Liam_Mangs

Postby Swipez » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Liam_Mangs wrote:
kiahatsiu wrote:What is your budget?

Thanks mate! Super helpful.
Im not after a stupid amount of power just enough to enjoy on the streets, track, drag comfortably. And budget is sort of difficult to specify as I'm not planning on this happen at the moment as I need to buy the car first and then ill work out how much I'm willing to spend.

You've given me something to think about. At this point I'm thinking i might get a GT wagon and then maybe keeping that for a while until Subaru bring out a Levorg manual STi and ill get that brand new and make that my super wagon.

But who knows I still might pick up a H6 Spec.B if theres a good one and then I will go through the process of calling Al and Miles and venturing up there to get the work done.

Bro, if you want a fast street car, that isn't nearly as common as an EJ turbo subie, then get the H6 and Supercharge it and run E85, thats what im doing. Run E85, just need the supercharger, and you'll make 220+kw atw no worries. BUT don't get caught up on the number. The torque graphs is what really matters. A supercharged EZ30 on E85 will have enough torque to scare the shit out of you on the streets. It will never really be a drag strip monster on the stock engine, but seriously, a WEAPON on the street. No SS Commodore will stand a chance LMAO
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific