How to eliminate raspiness from 3.0R?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

How to eliminate raspiness from 3.0R?

Postby legacyshawn » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:29 am

Hi guys. I've been reading through these forums a while now and thought I'd join to ask you all a question since the 3.0R is more prevalent in Australia.

Anyways, I recently had my raptor headers installed and the shop didn't have much expertise as I first thought. Long story short, I ended up completely catless. The instant I revved it, I cringed at the tinny rasp. I'm getting some 200 cell magnaflow cats installed soon. But that won't be enough. I have Perrin straight through mufflers and the stock midpipe with the stock resonator.

My question is what else can I do to eliminate the rasp? I've been looking into a borla XR-1 oval and vibrant ultra quiet resonators. Should I replace me stock resonator with two of these guys? Otherwise I can't see how I'm going to fit another resonator in there!

Oh and here's video of it during the storm.
http://youtu.be/ffPdH4fj4Q8
legacyshawn

Car: USDM DBM 08' 3.0R

Re: How to eliminate raspiness from 3.0R?

Postby Swipez » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:12 pm

Mate, xforce centre muffler and Y Pipe Assembly, pair of xforce single outlet mufflers, or tcp auto Quads. Done problem solved. Put the Aftermarket cats back where the stock ones were. Keep 3rd cat deleted tho...
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby vertix » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Not quite that simple :P I have exactly that setup, but still have rasp.

The 200cell cats will definitely help, though I would not recommend going below 200, the more free flowing/less restrictive cat = less effect on the sound. I have raptor headers, 100cell cats, xforce centre & Y pipe with hurricane quads (also have xforce mufflers, but prefer the quads) and still have a fair amount of rasp around 2.5k rpm. Though other cars I've heard at meets with identical setup, but with 200cell cats definitely have far less noticeable rasp than me.

Any form of muffling, as close to the headers as possible, will greatly help in reducing the rasp.
vertix

Car: 2007 liberty 3R-B manual SC

Postby Rustedhentai » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:53 am

Also did you get it tuned to suit the new headers? I have heard that a good tune can make all the difference and should be done regardless when fitting the raptor headers.
Rustedhentai

Car: 2006 liberty 3.0r b-spec

Postby legacyshawn » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Yeah I do have it on a base tune with Matt from Kido tuning but I haven't logged it yet since I wanted to finished doing the exhaust first.

I had it up on the lift today and noticed the shop stripped the O2 sensors and they were seated all the way making the crush washer rattle. When I have the cats welded on, I'll get some new upstream sensors put on with downstream sensors removed from the tune.

Does anyone have any side profile views of their exhaust? Mine seems like it's hanging a little low even though I'm using a part of the stock y-pipe (just the outer pipe).

legacyshawn

Postby Tradewind » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:30 am

I may have already told you by email, if not then .......

Cats always remove a certain amount of harshness from the exhaust note but are not going to provide any real muffling as such

You need to be fitting a decent muffler/silencer directly after the point where the 2 pipes come together, before the sound starts down the straight mid section stretch.

This problem exists with ALL small capacity V6, H6 and straight 6 engines. You have to provide decent muffling up front.

If you are just going to rough out a system with used pipe and no mufflers or cats much at all, prepare yourself for the worst sounds in your life, guaranteed you will get them lol

Regarding height, the stock pipe that feed into the cats has a slight up kick in it before it goes into the cats, this is how Subaru keep the pipe "up" under the car after it leaves the exhaust header section, you have removed this - meaning now your system is slightly low all the way through.

Hope that helps
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby legacyshawn » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:02 am

Thanks for the input Tim.

Yeah it was never in the plan to adopt the old pipes or go catless but the shop had already cut everything up and seemed too incompetent to cut the cats and weld them on. I didn't really have much of an option at this point because i know about the upward bend to the cat and didn't want it to hang even lower.

I'm livid after seeing this yesterday and I've confronted the shop. This was my first dealings with exhaust work at a shop... I guess you live and learn. Here's to hoping others can learn from this and know what to watch out for.
legacyshawn

Postby Daytona » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:47 am

With my findings with exhaust shops, it's hard finding a good one.
My journey with the exhaust:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29542

First shop I went to did the headers and replaced the cats. Second shop I went to did the front and mid resonators. Third shop just had a look.
Fourth shop fitted the Vibrant 1141 resonator near where the 3rd cat was (thanks McDoof for info on the Vibrant).

I used to have some pics on here, but ended up having a clean up of all my crap on the internet and they went away. I'll try and stick them on Imgur if you want to see.

I was in the same sort of boat as you - rasp. As Tim points out - muffling up front is important. My setup isn't totally ideal, but most of the rasp is gone and I love the sound now.
Took a lot of time and patience to get it sorted though!

Fingers crossed with lotto, if that happens, I'll be getting a supercharger!
Daytona

Postby Swipez » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:54 pm

vertix wrote:Not quite that simple :P I have exactly that setup, but still have rasp.

The 200cell cats will definitely help, though I would not recommend going below 200, the more free flowing/less restrictive cat = less effect on the sound. I have raptor headers, 100cell cats, xforce centre & Y pipe with hurricane quads (also have xforce mufflers, but prefer the quads) and still have a fair amount of rasp around 2.5k rpm. Though other cars I've heard at meets with identical setup, but with 200cell cats definitely have far less noticeable rasp than me.

Any form of muffling, as close to the headers as possible, will greatly help in reducing the rasp.

Haha, I apologise then :) I have TB STi Quads and they have eliminated ALL rasp from my system...
Last edited by Swipez on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby legacyshawn » Mon May 23, 2016 8:40 am

I ended up putting the two vibrant 12" 2.25" bottle style resonators in the Y-pipe after the cats. That pretty much killed the rasp 80% between the 2-4K RPM.

Then I went ahead and installed a Borla cat back that I bought with a resonator delete thinking the rasp would return... But lo and behold it's sound smooth and beautiful! Slightly race carish so I may put a resonator in the midpipe but for now I'm happy.

The advice going around from Tim held true: attenuating the rasp by installing resonators or cats closest to the headers will have best impact.

https://youtu.be/-G8n-0QkDiE
legacyshawn

Postby JBM3.0NZ » Mon May 30, 2016 8:04 pm

just bought some two vibrant 12" 2.25" bottle style resonators ....after reading your post :banned:
JBM3.0NZ

Car: 07 legacy 3.0

Postby applegeek897 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:19 pm

For comparison this is my set-up

- Raptor Headers
- 2x Highflow Maganaflow cats
- 3rd cat delete
- custom 2.25" Stainless mid section
- 2.25" XForce Mild Steel cat back.

And the video of the final product with E85 tune - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjPVt23lwI -
Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -
applegeek897

Car: 05' 3R-B Wagon, 00' Daihatsu Cuore
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31247

Postby Housemusic1 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Any pics of the rest of the setup?
Housemusic1

Car: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R Wagon

Postby owen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:32 pm

This is how you get rid of the rasp
Attachments
T6-0503-001.jpg
T6-0503-001.jpg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 6528 times
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby owen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:32 pm

K2 Gear make a full system to suit 3.0R-B
Attachments
T6-0503-002.jpg
T6-0503-002.jpg (61.23 KiB) Viewed 6528 times
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific