Increasing Performance of the H6

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Increasing Performance of the H6

Postby Swipez » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:06 am

Liam_Mangs wrote:Thanks Swipez!

I went through all of the posts and to be honest it got pretty confusing in the middle and rather heated.
I get that some people are calling bullshit on all the Supercharged figures with a flex fuel tune but that doesn't bother me because i can't have that sort of a mod on my car as Im still on P's for another year and my access to E85 is practically Nil.
I've also read that it has a lot to do with the actual engine and how healthy it is which can be a very technical thing to evaluate apart from checking the obvious things such as oil and coolant usage and how the previous owner has treated the car.
I'm 90% sure the way for me to go is to bang on raptor headers and exhaust and get a KiDo tune on 98 to gain more power and torque with improved drivability all-round.
If anyone else has any suggestions I'm happy to listen. But as I said before no force induction recommendations please and thank you!
:D

Yeah that's it bro, Headers, full exhaust, 98 tune. That's all you need.
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby Liam_Mangs » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:34 am

Swipez wrote:
Liam_Mangs wrote:Thanks Swipez!

I went through all of the posts and to be honest it got pretty confusing in the middle and rather heated.
I get that some people are calling bullshit on all the Supercharged figures with a flex fuel tune but that doesn't bother me because i can't have that sort of a mod on my car as Im still on P's for another year and my access to E85 is practically Nil.
I've also read that it has a lot to do with the actual engine and how healthy it is which can be a very technical thing to evaluate apart from checking the obvious things such as oil and coolant usage and how the previous owner has treated the car.
I'm 90% sure the way for me to go is to bang on raptor headers and exhaust and get a KiDo tune on 98 to gain more power and torque with improved drivability all-round.
If anyone else has any suggestions I'm happy to listen. But as I said before no force induction recommendations please and thank you!
:D

Yeah that's it bro, Headers, full exhaust, 98 tune. That's all you need.

Maaaaaad!
Cheers man!
Liam_Mangs

Postby 666 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:28 pm

Liam, as a starting point a KiDo tune is the first thing to do. It will provide the most benefit and you will feel it almost straight away. After that Raptor headers and some sort of exhaust mod together with an intake mod (not sure if Raptor are still making the Ram Air Intake) together with a re-tune, these two changes will further enhance the H6 breathing and improve driveability, but the tune is the best bang for buck for the H6.

Outright power will rise slightly but the driveability will improve and that's what you really feel everyday.

Rob.

Car: Spec.B

Postby Swipez » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:31 pm

666 wrote:Liam, as a starting point a KiDo tune is the first thing to do. It will provide the most benefit and you will feel it almost straight away. After that Raptor headers and some sort of exhaust mod together with an intake mod (not sure if Raptor are still making the Ram Air Intake) together with a re-tune, these two changes will further enhance the H6 breathing and improve driveability, but the tune is the best bang for buck for the H6.

Outright power will rise slightly but the driveability will improve and that's what you really feel everyday.

Rob.

If you can get a hold of Matt, a tune will be worth it to start with yeah, coz you'll end up paying 1 fee for unlimited tunes anyway. So timing of the tune doesn't really matter. Just if you want the potential for higher tunable gains, then get headers and a cat back exhaust. Don't over do it, because for the money an exhaust and a tune is the best way to go. Don't bother with aftermarket CAI. Stay with the stock one. Cops stay off your back and a raptor CAI isn't worth rushing into a $500 purchase that could be spent on a tune or exhaust parts. #1 rule is to keep everything in perspective. Aim for drivability, and usable torque curve changes. Spend as little as possible on the stock engine :)
Swipez

Postby JBM3.0NZ » Thu May 05, 2016 9:11 pm

can you get away running 95 octane with a 98 tune on the odd occasion just I can get 98 locally but many other towns round where I work don't have it ....don't really want to have to buy a octane booster ...
JBM3.0NZ

Car: 07 legacy 3.0

Postby Swipez » Thu May 05, 2016 9:35 pm

No. Not a good option for this engine. Get a 95 tune.
Swipez

Postby JBM3.0NZ » Fri May 06, 2016 8:37 am

Or make sure to have octane booster with you ..I see for round $7-$8 I can boost 95 to 98-99 octane ...per tank so adds round 10-12c per 1lt to the 95 which is even less than you pay for 98 over 95 here (95 -$2.05,,,,,,,,,, 98 -2.20 etc

how much better off are you with a 98 over the 95 tune ??
JBM3.0NZ

Postby Swipez » Fri May 06, 2016 10:27 am

JBM3.0NZ wrote:Or make sure to have octane booster with you ..I see for round $7-$8 I can boost 95 to 98-99 octane ...per tank so adds round 10-12c per 1lt to the 95 which is even less than you pay for 98 over 95 here (95 -$2.05,,,,,,,,,, 98 -2.20 etc

how much better off are you with a 98 over the 95 tune ??

You just said you don't want to keep buying octane boosters??? Yet you reply with using octane boosters.

And if you get a 98 tune, and you put 95 fuel in with no octane boost, don't expect your engine to last as long.
Swipez

Postby JBM3.0NZ » Fri May 06, 2016 6:20 pm

I did my numbers and the costs of buying a octane booster + 95 is going be the same price as running 98 ....I'll buy them by the dozen ...always have a spare couple in the car ....but most of the time 10mins down the road i fill up on 98...
JBM3.0NZ

Postby Swipez » Fri May 06, 2016 7:27 pm

JBM3.0NZ wrote:I did my numbers and the costs of buying a octane booster + 95 is going be the same price as running 98 ....I'll buy them by the dozen ...always have a spare couple in the car ....but most of the time 10mins down the road i fill up on 98...

Easy as. Just do that :)
Swipez

Postby dr20t » Fri May 06, 2016 11:04 pm

Octane booster very rarely actually increases knock resistance, and almost always ends in clogged injectors or fuel filters.

I would stay away and just get a 95 tune if that's the fuel you will be using
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby JBM3.0NZ » Sat May 07, 2016 1:41 pm

well most likely It would be round 50/50... 95 and 98 ...don't like the sound of poor fuel quality with octane booster esp as there sold as helping clean the fuel system :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

found on octane boosters

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/dooctaneboosterswork.php
JBM3.0NZ

Postby RX25SE » Sun May 08, 2016 10:46 am

dr20t wrote:Octane booster very rarely actually increases knock resistance, and almost always ends in clogged injectors or fuel filters.

I would stay away and just get a 95 tune if that's the fuel you will be using

This.

Octane boosters are the Devils work, I have seen some nasty deposits on spark plugs from them.

The cost of replacing a dead engine goes a long way to covering the difference in price between 95 to 98.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby JBM3.0NZ » Sun May 08, 2016 11:59 am

Yes anyone have idea on power advantages from 95 to 98 ? 5kw-10kw atm ?
JBM3.0NZ

Postby RX25SE » Sun May 08, 2016 12:19 pm

You may find the detune to run 95 will increase your fuel consumption. After all, less power means you need to push it harder.

Jeep tried this years ago with the 4.0 inline 6 engine.
The vehicle documentation stated that using 95RON fuel was OK, but in reality when towing the extra load caused detonation. Using 98RON eliminated detonation when towing (and smashed pistons) but customers complained about the added cost of 98.In an effort to appease the whingers, Jeep's fix was the fitment of a decompression plate to lower the static compression. This cured detonation when towing on 95 but the reduction of compression also killed some of the engines torque, so you needed more throttle. End result? A lazy engine and minimal or no saving in fuel cost.

Power difference between the two?
Don't care.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific