Increasing Performance of the H6

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Increasing Performance of the H6

Postby zoliberty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:03 am

So are any worthwhile ecu upgrades to increase fuel economy using 95ron? Any recommendations to take the 3l around Melbourne?
zoliberty

Car: Liberty MY07 Spec.B 3l

Postby alexeiwoody » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:45 am

zoliberty wrote:So are any worthwhile ecu upgrades to increase fuel economy using 95ron? Any recommendations to take the 3l around Melbourne?

1. 95 Ron is crap. If you value your engine use 98.

2. Get a tune. It will maximise your fuel efficiency.

Keep in mind, fuel efficiency doesn't mean you'll use less fuel. Most of the fuel usage is down to how you drive.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby JBM3.0NZ » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:19 pm

I would use 98 all the time ...but as there is only one station locally there will be times I will need to use 95 ....usually use Caltex tecron ......
JBM3.0NZ

Car: 07 legacy 3.0

Postby Swipez » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:31 pm

JBM3.0NZ wrote:I would use 98 all the time ...but as there is only one station locally there will be times I will need to use 95 ....usually use Caltex tecron ......

Well if there are times you'll have to use 95, don't bother getting a 98 tune, just get a driveability tune. For example, the first time Matt tuned my H6, he changed how aggressive the throttle comes on and changed the fuel tables a little bit so that the engine is happier than on the stock tune. He also tightened up the braking, made Intelligent mode in SI Drive actually usable. And he also increased the redline of my car to 7k. This was not a power tune on a specific fuel. It was still good for 95 minimum and then 98 Ron (recommended) when going into sport # mode. So, like me, I drive around in Intelligent mode now (because it's like the old sport mode) and change into the current sport mode when I feel like doing some more aggressive spirited driving. Oh yeah, and my fuel economy increased by about 1.4L/ 100km on average. Sport # mode is literally made for the track now after the tune. The throttle comes on so quick, so blips when downshifting are spot on and the engine reacts as quickly as you do when on the track. 8ts fantastic for that. But it makes it quite uncomfortable to drive on the road. Especially when taking off it 1st gear, it really wants to lunge forward unless you have perfect clutch control every time and want to get launched forward every time you want to take off.

Bottom line is, you can use 95, and 98 Ron at your leisure. It's perfect in your situation because you said you can't get 98 all the time, so if you just stay in intelligent or sport mode (which is adequate for the streets) you'll have a blast and actually access a slightly greater amount of torque throughout the whole rev range. Great tune IMO.
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby Tradewind » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:31 pm

I use 98 octane all the time

I have the RAM intake, the headers and Matt's tune. Gets down to 7.6 liters/100km high way and goes very well. H6 is well worth playing with a little :twisted:
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby Boogs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Swipez wrote:
JBM3.0NZ wrote:I would use 98 all the time ...but as there is only one station locally there will be times I will need to use 95 ....usually use Caltex tecron ......

Well if there are times you'll have to use 95, don't bother getting a 98 tune, just get a driveability tune. For example, the first time Matt tuned my H6, he changed how aggressive the throttle comes on and changed the fuel tables a little bit so that the engine is happier than on the stock tune. He also tightened up the braking, made Intelligent mode in SI Drive actually usable. And he also increased the redline of my car to 7k. This was not a power tune on a specific fuel. It was still good for 95 minimum and then 98 Ron (recommended) when going into sport # mode. So, like me, I drive around in Intelligent mode now (because it's like the old sport mode) and change into the current sport mode when I feel like doing some more aggressive spirited driving. Oh yeah, and my fuel economy increased by about 1.4L/ 100km on average. Sport # mode is literally made for the track now after the tune. The throttle comes on so quick, so blips when downshifting are spot on and the engine reacts as quickly as you do when on the track. 8ts fantastic for that. But it makes it quite uncomfortable to drive on the road. Especially when taking off it 1st gear, it really wants to lunge forward unless you have perfect clutch control every time and want to get launched forward every time you want to take off.

Bottom line is, you can use 95, and 98 Ron at your leisure. It's perfect in your situation because you said you can't get 98 all the time, so if you just stay in intelligent or sport mode (which is adequate for the streets) you'll have a blast and actually access a slightly greater amount of torque throughout the whole rev range. Great tune IMO.

lol what?
Boogs

Car: Gen4adore

Postby Swipez » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:53 pm

Tradewind wrote:I use 98 octane all the time

I have the RAM intake, the headers and Matt's tune. Gets down to 7.6 liters/100km high way and goes very well. H6 is well worth playing with a little :twisted:

I use 98 all the time too. The bloke was saying he can't always get 98. Hence my Post.
Swipez

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby zoliberty » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:
zoliberty wrote:So are any worthwhile ecu upgrades to increase fuel economy using 95ron? Any recommendations to take the 3l around Melbourne?

1. 95 Ron is crap. If you value your engine use 98.

2. Get a tune. It will maximise your fuel efficiency.

Keep in mind, fuel efficiency doesn't mean you'll use less fuel. Most of the fuel usage is down to how you drive.

1. Thanks for that constructive reply.

2. Tune would be nice if I could find a decent place in Melbourne.
...and here I thought by squeezing the hamster in the wheel as much as possible would keep the economy up! :roll:
zoliberty

Car: Liberty MY07 Spec.B 3l

Postby JBM3.0NZ » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 am

Swipez wrote:

Yes very good sounds the go ....hoping i can catch up with kido later this month ....getting the raptor headers fitted today mated to the X-force cat-back..
never use intelligent mode..90% time Sport with Sport# when I plan on using the paddle shift for more aggressive driving on the mountain roads locally
JBM3.0NZ

Car: 07 legacy 3.0

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific