3.6R 5EAT Tuning

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

3.6R 5EAT Tuning

Postby planky » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:49 pm

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a 2010/2011 3.6R Outback with 5EAT transmission, and one of my concerns from test drives is the performance of the trans (particularly take-off lag and slow shifting between gears). I've been doing a bit of reading around the forums about tuning other models (KiDo and others) but can't much much info on work done to the 3.6R.

Was wondering if anyone has tried tuning a 3.6R with 5EAT and what sort of results you have been able to achieve? I'll obviously be looking for improvements to drivability rather than performance (otherwise I would be buying something a bit more exciting than an Outback!) but would also be interested to hear about the performance improvements you have managed to achieve.

Cheers!
Pete
planky

Re: 3.6R 5EAT Tuning

Postby Perscitus » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:41 pm

Welcome, have a look through this subsection of the forum and read here:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... 19254.html

Subaru's 4EAT/5EAT TCM/TCUs havent been reverse engineered and so there is no direct control of them, no direct tuning available (at least for now).

Short of being able to log a bunch of SSM params directly from the TCM/TCU, indirectly affecting the 5EAT operation via ECM/ECU tuning (requested torque values, per ger torque limits, CL/OL transitions) or having a shop upgrade the valve body and TC or swapping in STI clutch/gearbox combo (bolts right up)... not much can be done about the 5EAT operation and its constant upshifting into 4th and 5th in AT mode.
Perscitus

Car: 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R

Postby Tradewind » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:50 am

Matt (KiDo)

Any comment on this one?
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby west_minist » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:24 am

Hello:

With DBW tuning and a few other maps, your issue can be improve by tuning. Review here:- http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... f=48&t=527

Adding to what Perscitus, the valvebody mods help in addition to what I stated above. I have achieve those results in tuning.

For strictly 5EAT feedback - http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum ... ?f=6&t=509

planky wrote:Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a 2010/2011 3.6R Outback with 5EAT transmission, and one of my concerns from test drives is the performance of the trans (particularly take-off lag and slow shifting between gears). I've been doing a bit of reading around the forums about tuning other models (KiDo and others) but can't much much info on work done to the 3.6R.

Was wondering if anyone has tried tuning a 3.6R with 5EAT and what sort of results you have been able to achieve? I'll obviously be looking for improvements to drivability rather than performance (otherwise I would be buying something a bit more exciting than an Outback!) but would also be interested to hear about the performance improvements you have managed to achieve.

Cheers!
Pete
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby planky » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the replies and info! west_minist it looks like you have been getting some good improvements trans performance with your DBW tuning, so I will have to look into this more when I pick the car up!

From what I have read and looking at Hexmods/IPT, there is currently no valve body mod for 08+ 5EAT with VDC. If not, is it still safe and worthwhile to apply an DBW/ECU tune without risking too much damage to the trans?
planky

Postby west_minist » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Ok. Thank you. I hope to see other tuners replies here.
Last edited by west_minist on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:03 pm

Perscitus wrote:Subaru's 4EAT/5EAT TCM/TCUs havent been reverse engineered and so there is no direct control of them, no direct tuning available (at least for now).

Fully tuneable but not via Tactrix ;) It has been keeping me busier than ever unfortunately. Cody on here with a 2L LGT knows how I fixed his auto shifts with his Hexmods VB upgrade from tuning the stock TCU to adapt to the engines torque delivery(TD05 upgrade) :)

It is obviously much faster and easier to tune the car in person and feel the shifts to optimise the engines torque delivery to the calculated and requested torque figures. McDoof on this forum felt the difference an in person tune can achieve :) Chat to StevenC on the Legacy forum for the gains achieveable

One of my local guys has a 2010 3.6 Outback, was tuned nearly 2 years ago and is now running a low boost low mount turbo setup without issue on the stock auto... tows his motorbikes or quadbikes or small camper trailer with it.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific