Head Gasket Replacement - Options?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Head Gasket Replacement - Options?

Postby Kesh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:20 am

Hey guys,

So I've been losing coolant recently, and after ruling out the cooling system as the fault, it all points towards the head gasket being on it's way out. The car has just ticked over 205,000k's so I'm wondering if there's any work I should do to the engine while it's being ripped apart. Also, given that the stock head gaskets aren't known to be that strong, is there any after market option that is both cheaper and stronger? I remember tradewind selling a kit for the 3.0 for a lot less than the OEM kit price.

Lastly, do any of you have any recommendations as to where to actually get the job done? I'm in SE Melbourne, but willing to travel to the northern suburbs to somewhere reputable, given the price is right (I'm a poor uni student :( )

So far I'm looking at Phil Lowe, Got it rex and Paul Tran Garage.

Cheers for your advice!
Kesh

Re: Head Gasket Replacement - Options?

Postby BillyCorgi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:29 am

3.0 Litre H6??
Must be, you are in the 3.0R section. Silly me.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby blacktop™ » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:16 am

Kesh wrote:...I remember tradewind selling a kit for the 3.0 for a lot less than the OEM kit price...
blacktop™

Car: MY07 GT spec.B wagon 6MT

Postby dan_ashcroft » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:12 pm

I'm not sure, but I thought he was recommending Victor Reinz (spelling?) rather than selling them, could be wrong though.

Partsouq.com have a genuine gasket and seal kit that seems to do the job at under USD300 in part # 10105AA790 (there is a BoM listed as the attached image). Fairly reasonable delivery times too.
dan_ashcroft

Car: MY06 3.0R-B on E85

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Make sure it's not an external gasket eg crossover pipe gaskets etc if applicable.
Generally you'd get your heads decked and checked, if not fully re-coed...
And a timing belt (eg chain, tensioner?) service and clutch if reqd...
Take the heads to someone that just does heads, there's a guy in my street, Neilzeds if you're local.
My local garage does HG's, if you're local: Little Sams in Collingwood, ask for a quote from John.
You can byo your own parts, otherwise they'll do everything possible to save you money eg use Dayco or anything known to work well. ;)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Kesh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:41 pm

dan_ashcroft wrote:I'm not sure, but I thought he was recommending Victor Reinz (spelling?) rather than selling them, could be wrong though.

Partsouq.com have a genuine gasket and seal kit that seems to do the job at under USD300 in part # 10105AA790 (there is a BoM listed as the attached image). Fairly reasonable delivery times too.

Oh my bad, must be my rusty memory :lol: I heard that the Victor Reinz gaskets were a bit stronger than OEM, so I'm tempted to go down that route!

bigBADbenny wrote:Make sure it's not an external gasket eg crossover pipe gaskets etc if applicable.
Generally you'd get your heads decked and checked, if not fully re-coed...
And a timing belt (eg chain, tensioner?) service and clutch if reqd...
Take the heads to someone that just does heads, there's a guy in my street, Neilzeds if you're local.
My local garage does HG's, if you're local: Little Sams in Collingwood, ask for a quote from John.
You can byo your own parts, otherwise they'll do everything possible to save you money eg use Dayco or anything known to work well. ;)

Yep, I'm gonna go to a few places and see what people believe the problem is. Would places that specalise in Subaru's do the machining themselves? Must be worth asking? I was under the impression that's it's best to take it to those who deal with the same engines as they might have some special techniques etc. I might pay your local garage a visit on the way down from Got it rex and anywhere else I go on the northern sides!

Yeah I'm on a very very tight budget, I'm quite gutted to be honest, being a uni student and all, a 2.5k bill is the last thing I needed. But I don't wanna cut corners and end up having to spend later on so I'll do it once and do it right!
Kesh

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific