H6 Performance Mods Do Nothing

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

H6 Performance Mods Do Nothing

Postby JTR » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Came across this, thought it was interesting.

http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/perfor ... tion-guide

Here's a few Quotes
"The only benefit for a reliable tune is drivability, dont expect ANY tune to give reliable Kw's"
"The H6 6 cylinder engine sounds horrible with even custom, hand made exhaust manifolds, zero value for Kw in this area as well"
"CAI, Other than a horrible intake noise no power here either"
JTR

Car: Liberty 3.0 Spec B

Re: H6 Performance Mods Do Nothing

Postby BillyCorgi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:11 pm

According to Mrs Gump
"Stupid is what Stupid does"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Komi7wnAw

So S&J Automotive promote their partnership with MRT while also producing a tune for the H6.
http://sjautomotive.com.au/Liberty.htm

I also recall an MRT Newsletter proclaiming that they also, too, were supporting the S&J Automotive developments for the H6
I just wish I could find the link.
Last edited by BillyCorgi on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby RX25SE » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:51 pm

JTR wrote:

"The only benefit for a reliable tune is drivability, dont expect ANY tune to give reliable Kw's"
"The H6 6 cylinder engine sounds horrible with even custom, hand made exhaust manifolds, zero value for Kw in this area as well"

Really?

Pretty happy with the setup of mine.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:33 pm

JTR wrote:Came across this, thought it was interesting.

Here's a few Quotes

Not sure as to the purpose of this post - seems like you want to start a shit flinging thread.

There is some truth to everything they said on their website. Except the sound part, where they pretty much called every flat 6 Porsche's sound "horrible".

Without forced induction you will stuggle for kw, and pay through the nose for minimal increases in power.

Does this mean it's not worth tuning? Of course not. Does this mean you won't get slight increases in power from exhaust and E85? Of course you will. Just not as much as on a turbo car.

If speaking about value for money the turbo models are much better for up to 250kwatw. After that both the H6 and the 4 cyls will need a build and then the H6 kind of takes over in terms of value for money (but of course you'd need a turbo/custom piping/other bolt ons to make the power in the first place)

If you commit time and money to a built turbo H6 - you can have yourself one of the best Subaru power setups in the world. Without forced induction, at least a S/C - an H6 is just not going to crack 200kw atw (being VERY generous here), ever. As proven by kiahatsiu's 100mph challenge thread, where no N/a H6 ever ran 100mph (most recently Archie ran a 100mph with 180kwatw on the gotitrex dyno...as some food for thought).

And IMHO even with every single bolt on available for an N/a H6 + eflex tune - you will be lucky to reach 160kwatw on our local dyno on a cold day. That's the level of a postFL GT with just a tune and exhaust + maybe intercooler. Now imagine a WRX which comes with a bigger turbo from factory (makes 15-20kw on top of gen4) with an exhaust and a verticooler (same cost as gen4 tmic but makes +10kw).

For the same money it takes you to get to 160kw on E85, these guys are pushing 200 on 98. And the effect of E85 on a turbo engine is so much more dramatic compared to N/a and even a S/c.

An H6 is an amazing engine, but good luck doubling it's power while staying N/a.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby cliffo3rb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:36 pm

I ran 100mph in my wagon. Only just though :p
cliffo3rb

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0rb

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:02 pm

cliffo3rb wrote:[url=http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/cliffo3rb/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140730_193145_zpsu1wa28ok.jpg.html]

I ran 100mph in my wagon. Only just though :p

Haha you tried the most out of everyone :D I don't remember you ever posting that slip though? Only saw you hitting 98mph then jumped to 102 once you had the S/c?
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby JTR » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:19 am

alexeiwoody wrote:

Here's a few Quotes

Not sure as to the purpose of this post - seems like you want to start a shit flinging thread.

There is some truth to everything they said on their website. Except the sound part, where they pretty much called every flat 6 Porsche's sound "horrible".

Without forced induction you will stuggle for kw, and pay through the nose for minimal increases in power.

Does this mean it's not worth tuning? Of course not. Does this mean you won't get slight increases in power from exhaust and E85? Of course you will. Just not as much as on a turbo car.

If speaking about value for money the turbo models are much better for up to 250kwatw. After that both the H6 and the 4 cyls will need a build and then the H6 kind of takes over in terms of value for money (but of course you'd need a turbo/custom piping/other bolt ons to make the power in the first place)

If you commit time and money to a built turbo H6 - you can have yourself one of the best Subaru power setups in the world. Without forced induction, at least a S/C - an H6 is just not going to crack 200kw atw (being VERY generous here), ever. As proven by kiahatsiu's 100mph challenge thread, where no N/a H6 ever ran 100mph (most recently Archie ran a 100mph with 180kwatw on the gotitrex dyno...as some food for thought).

And IMHO even with every single bolt on available for an N/a H6 + eflex tune - you will be lucky to reach 160kwatw on our local dyno on a cold day. That's the level of a postFL GT with just a tune and exhaust + maybe intercooler. Now imagine a WRX which comes with a bigger turbo from factory (makes 15-20kw on top of gen4) with an exhaust and a verticooler (same cost as gen4 tmic but makes +10kw).

For the same money it takes you to get to 160kw on E85, these guys are pushing 200 on 98. And the effect of E85 on a turbo engine is so much more dramatic compared to N/a and even a S/c.

An H6 is an amazing engine, but good luck doubling it's power while staying N/a.

I'm actually not trying to start anything, like I said it was interesting to see as they have tried & tested CAI,tunes,exhaust etc and achieved no gains in power which contradicts what we have seen/heard/read people have gained by having these mods. I understand that a 3.0L car is not going to make big numbers or benefit more from performance mods than a car with forced induction but that's not what's been said here, just horrible noise and no gains.
As I said not trying to start anything, sorry if I offended. Maybe its just an old guide who knows. :)
JTR

Car: Liberty 3.0 Spec B

Postby Daytona » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:26 am

I remember coming across that as well before I started touching my car.

I do agree that getting an exhaust system (mid muffler back) to sound decent is actually a lot of work but don't really agree with the points on the ECU or intake. And I'm guessing you have a lot of people on here will say the same. Unless it's a pretty big conspiracy or we're all on some placebo pills - you can get noticeable gains without going to forced induction.

Anyways, my two cents and I'm happy with what I've paid for. If you sat in a vanilla Legacy and then sat in mine, you'd probably notice a difference.
Daytona

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:26 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:

Here's a few Quotes

161.3Kw on E85 on Gotitrex's dyno on a flex fuel tune from an NA H6. It needs headers though to get a little more top end

Considering a stock car puts down 110Kw... I would say Vin was impresed.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby west_minist » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:12 am

I think once you can see results out there and postings, then you will realise Sir to take such statements like that seriously.

Driving performance is key.

Get your car tuned. Myself, Kido and a few others are versed in it and you will not be let down. Just make sure your car is mechanically sound.
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby patrickbateman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:43 pm

The H6 6 cylinder engine sounds horrible with even custom, hand made exhaust manifolds, believe us we have tried this!

Drugs are bad, kids.
patrickbateman

Car: 2005 3.0r-b

Postby Tradewind » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Here's a few Quotes

Clueless if nothing else.
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby RX25SE » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:04 am

H6's sound bad... really?

Clearly then I need to have my hearing checked.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby BillyCorgi » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:12 am

Ever heard a Hyundai Excel automatic with a sports exhaust?
Now THAT establishes a benchmark for sounding terrible.

Who cares what the H6 exhaust sounds like.
I am inside the car and the engine sound lovely!
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby McDoof » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:33 am

Hmm, very interesting. I have 163Kw atw on what was described as a low reading dyno (thanks Matt) with only headers, 3rd cat delete and a tune, running on good old fashioned BP 98. That's about 30kw over the stated stock power. Seems a reasonable gain for not very much effort.
Oh yes, and my car sounds amazing. Especially at WOT.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific