what's the deal with paddle shifters?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

what's the deal with paddle shifters?

Postby Deitikah » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:41 pm

So I've just bought a my07 h6 in auto with paddles, but I really don't know much about them. I understand basically how to use them - one side gears up, the other side gears down, don't touch them and the auto does its thing.
Do they perform well when used all the time like a manual? Or if you never use them?
I can imagine using it to downshift for an extra power boost when overtaking or something.
I'm hoping there's someone with some experience driving with this style of transmission who can enlighten me.
Deitikah

Car: my07 3.0R B Spec auto sedan

Re: what's the deal with paddle shifters?

Postby shav » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:40 am

Deitikah wrote:So I've just bought a my07 h6 in auto with paddles, but I really don't know much about them. I understand basically how to use them - one side gears up, the other side gears down, don't touch them and the auto does its thing.
Do they perform well when used all the time like a manual? Or if you never use them?
I can imagine using it to downshift for an extra power boost when overtaking or something.
I'm hoping there's someone with some experience driving with this style of transmission who can enlighten me.

Hi Sara,
I use the paddle shifts all the time when I engage the gear selector in Manual mode. This allows me to choose the gears I want and to make the gears shift whenever I want too. The main benefit of this is really for those who like to choose the right rpm rev range before shifting during drives in the hills and the occasional traffic light duel. It also allows both hands on the steering wheel at all times which is important when doing hills driving if you are inexperienced in these conditions. If you are a manual purist, you can still use the gear shift selector to up and down shift like a tiptronic gearbox manually.

I have found they do perform well once you get used to the signal lag that they tend to have. These paddles are not like the ones you see in a Ferrari which are instantaneous once you touch the paddle. There is a signal lag with these paddles I have found so basically when you press the paddle, there is a delay of sorts before the gearbox selects the next gear be it down or up shifts. I have gotten used to this little idiosyncrasy and have been able to time my shifts according to the lag. Unfortunately this cannot be tuned out that I know of.

The paddle shifts do not give any added power. All they do is allow you to select a gear more appropriate to the terrain to allow better acceleration. They are perfect to use when over taking. Even when the gear selector is in drive, using the paddles to shift down a gear or 2 and overtake, over rides the gearbox for a few seconds so you can overtake with safety and then the gearbox resumes its normal D position once you have settle back into your lane.

I find using the paddle shifts is more fun. It allows me to have 2 hands on the wheel when Im in a spirited driving mode and allows me to choose the gear I want with ease and safety. If you have SI Drive, I find S# is the best time to use the paddles.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Deitikah » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Thanks Shav, awesome reply!

More and more now I'm thinking I've found the perfect car for me, as this sounds like a great balance between the ease and convenience of an auto and the hands-on control of a manual when you want to have some fun.
I'm very jealous of my husband as he gets to have the first drive from Brisbane to townsville when he picks it up.
So long as it's still MY car when he gets back though, I'm a happy girl!
Deitikah

Car: my07 3.0R B Spec auto sedan

Postby shav » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Deitikah wrote:Thanks Shav, awesome reply!

More and more now I'm thinking I've found the perfect car for me, as this sounds like a great balance between the ease and convenience of an auto and the hands-on control of a manual when you want to have some fun.
I'm very jealous of my husband as he gets to have the first drive from Brisbane to townsville when he picks it up.
So long as it's still MY car when he gets back though, I'm a happy girl!

spot on. That is the reason why I love these cars. You get the best of both worlds except without the clutch pedal. I'd still love a manual but at the same time with my urban driving, I can be lazy and just cruise in D. I think you will both love the car. I would totally recommend getting Matt (Kido Tuning) to give the car a tune. It will not only improve economy, but also allow the car to run smoother, provide more usable power (i.e. torque down low when needed in traffic), and also provide smoother, linear gear shifts for the auto when in drive. The best bang for buck mod by far even if you do nothing else to the car.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:52 pm

Deitikah wrote:So long as it's still MY car when he gets back though, I'm a happy girl!

He will steal it every chance he can I bet :)
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific