1st 2nd 6th grind

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

1st 2nd 6th grind

Postby W4GNIT » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:21 pm

Hey guys,

I got myself into a really bad habit (which I've now managed to get out of) where i take off hard in 1st and 2nd then as I'm already at the speed limit I just want to cruise so 6th would be my choice.

I now don't do this because every time it would grind 6th even with the clutch all the way in. Obviously its not the right thing to do which is why I don't anymore but I can't for the life of me work out why it would grind when the clutch is fully in. If i leave the clutch in until the revs drop before trying to put it into gear its fine.

I apologize to everyone for hurting one of these beautiful cars, I promise I won't do it again. :cry:
W4GNIT

Car: MY06 Liberty 3.0R SpecB Wagon - Man

Re: 1st 2nd 6th grind

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Your 6th gear synchro ring is shot. When your centre diff gives up, get it fixed, but I wouldn't bother before then, because while you can probably get the synchro ring for a reasonable price, you need to remove and open the gearbox to get it, and that's a lot of work.

If you double clutched, it would also be fine. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutch_(technique) which also gives more detail on the issue.

Changing gearbox oil might help.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific