What battery are you running?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

What battery are you running?

Postby Kesh » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:05 pm

What Battery is everyone running at the moment? Have some of you gone smaller to help with weight reduction? Is it really worth getting a bigger battery because I have a high power sound system? Or can I get a smaller one and save weight and money?

Can you list where you got them from too! That's be great, thanks! (specific model number or link would be awesome :) )
Kesh

Re: What battery are you running?

Postby Manaz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:21 pm

I used to recommend the Optima Yellow Tops, but they've gone downhill over the years.

My current battery is actually an NRMA one - 2254 Calcium. It seems to be doing OK.

Running a big sound system, you probably don't want to be saving weight on a battery. If it's a REALLY high powered system, you should be running capacitors to smooth the load out on the battery (car batteries hate short, sharp requirements for big power), and if you're running the audio system with the engine off, you want a decent amount of storage capacity - maybe even a second battery, or to do a battery relocation to the boot/rear.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Postby subyroo » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:33 pm

Manaz wrote:I used to recommend the Optima Yellow Tops, but they've gone downhill over the years.

My current battery is actually an NRMA one - 2254 Calcium. It seems to be doing OK.

Running a big sound system, you probably don't want to be saving weight on a battery. If it's a REALLY high powered system, you should be running capacitors to smooth the load out on the battery (car batteries hate short, sharp requirements for big power), and if you're running the audio system with the engine off, you want a decent amount of storage capacity - maybe even a second battery, or to do a battery relocation to the boot/rear.

Optima quality went South (Mexico) along with the manufacturing plant relocation. :( :(
I had a Red Top for 9 years, never ever let me down, not even once!
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby Kesh » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:57 pm

Cheers guys! I did have a look at Optima, but they are indeed very pricey, and I also heard that the relocation has sent quality down south too. My sound system isn't that extreme, just have one Alpine PDX-V9! I was thinking of using a century battery, or something along those lines. Had a look at the NRMA one too! I think they're a similar price. Where did you guys get them from?

I'm looking at this at the moment. EX-X55D23CMF http://www.everybattery.com.au/proddeta ... -X55D23CMF
Kesh

Postby 3rspecb » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:49 pm

I've got a Mexican built yellow top Optima along with my brother in law and ours are still going strong in their 4th year. From memory, its the chinese made Optima's you need to watch out for.
MY06 3rspecb manual sedan, Urban Grey- Shockworks Coilovers '- Gone

MY17 SSv Redline, manual sedan, White.
3rspecb

Car: MY17 SSv Redline

Postby WIDELOAD » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:51 am

Yeah, Mexican Optimas are 99% OK. You still get the occasional dud as with any battery. Steer clear of the chinese made ones fo sho.
Another good option is the Deka Intimidator. Top shelf quality like the Optima.

Personally i would say steer clear of Century, Exide & most RACV/NRMA/RACQ batteries. The quality is too spotty in my experience.

If you're on a budget I would reccommend either Federal, Amaron or Bosch.
Bosch has recently changed their production facilities overseas, and suppliers into Aust have also changed. So finding one & making sure it has decent warranty support is the hard part.

I would say Amaron is your best bang for buck if you can tolerate the fact they're fluro green. I have never seen a dud, or had one fail under warranty since i've been selling them (which is 4 or so years). Recently had a guy with a Prado replace one that was 7years old!
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby Kesh » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:52 pm

WIDELOAD wrote:Yeah, Mexican Optimas are 99% OK. You still get the occasional dud as with any battery. Steer clear of the chinese made ones fo sho.
Another good option is the Deka Intimidator. Top shelf quality like the Optima.

Personally i would say steer clear of Century, Exide & most RACV/NRMA/RACQ batteries. The quality is too spotty in my experience.

If you're on a budget I would reccommend either Federal, Amaron or Bosch.
Bosch has recently changed their production facilities overseas, and suppliers into Aust have also changed. So finding one & making sure it has decent warranty support is the hard part.

I would say Amaron is your best bang for buck if you can tolerate the fact they're fluro green. I have never seen a dud, or had one fail under warranty since i've been selling them (which is 4 or so years). Recently had a guy with a Prado replace one that was 7years old!

Hey thanks for the reply. How much would the Amaron or Bosche set me back? I've never heard of Amaron to be honest, but if you can vouch for them, I'm sure I can give it a go. Are they available in melbourne?
Kesh

Postby WIDELOAD » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:04 am

Amarons should be available at just about every Batteryworld. If not they can order one.

Cost at my store is $219 retail, I can discount them down to $185. But not sure what the guys down south can/will do.
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific