New engine?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

New engine?

Postby 3RB » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:05 pm

Didn't know what to name the title but anyways, I have a 3RB with the head gasket gone :( I wanted to know do you guys think its worth replacing the headgasket or getting a different h6 in it. Only concerns is that i heard these problems are pretty common in libertys so it makes me iffy about it and dont want it happening again..

Also do the ej25's etc fit straight in an ez30 without any ecu changes etc? And would a wrx straight in, and if not what changes are needed?

Cheers guys
3RB

Car: Subaru Liberty 06 3.0R-B

Re: New engine?

Postby RX25SE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:55 pm

I would be replacing the head gaskets.
You are right, the H6 engine is known for the odd head gasket, so a secondhand motor may develop the same issue.

To fit any other type of engine, other than what the car came with, will require a lot more than an ECU change (this applies to all makes). If you are wanting a turbo motor, your cheapest option would be to bail out of your car at whatever cost and buy a factory turbo car.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Re: New engine?

Postby Surge » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:16 pm

If it's not cooked, I'd do the head gaskets and freshen up the engine a bit. Then use some solid gaskets and head studs (if can find an upgrade for the ez30) to make sure it doesn't happen again. Also keep the coolant and oil change intervals a bit shorter than the manual states and then it can't really go wrong.

But if you cooked the engine then it might be worth looking into a replacement or rebuild it.
Surge

Car: 2010 lib GT 5eat

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific