2005 SpecB warning lights and not starting - HELP

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

2005 SpecB warning lights and not starting - HELP

Postby sainthendy » Fri May 15, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi guys, recently bought a 2005 Gen 4 Spec B. Which has been a dream car for a long time.

When I purchased the car in March of this year, there was a flashing 'malfunction indicator lamp' which the previous owner advised was a result of the o2 sensors. I did some research on the forums and it appeared to be a rather common error, I was hoping to give the car a tune and potentially change the exhaust to resolve the issue. The previous owner provided a road worthy and had the warning reset.

I was driving yesterday with no warning signs, I parked briefly and returned within 5 minutes. I tried to turn the car on and it would not start. It is showing the malfunction indicator lamp, the charge warning light and the oil pressure light, which are all illuminated at once.

It does not appear to be a flat battery, as the engine is not trying to turn over all electrics are working fine. It seems to be similar to if you had an automatic (which I don't) and had it in drive and then you tried to turn it on, as in the computer is stopping the car turning over.

I assume it is probably the o2 sensor stopping the car and am considering disconnecting the battery to reset the computer and potentially remove the error, I would then arrange for my initial fix (tune and potential exhaust replace).

I was hoping that you guys could give me some advice about what has caused the issue and what I should to to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
sainthendy

Car: Subaru Liberty 2005 SpecB

Re: 2005 SpecB warning lights and not starting - HELP

Postby 666 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi, I doubt that the 02 sensor issue would cause the car not to start. It sounds like the starter motor is not geting it's ignition signal and hence not turning over. Or it may be the engine immobiliser has developed a fault, have you had problems with the keys or locking/unlocking the car lately? An auto electrician is probably your best bet.

Rob.

Car: Spec.B

Postby sainthendy » Mon May 25, 2015 8:17 am

Cheers Rob. I think you're right.

I returned to my car the following day and it turned over (albeit a little sluggishly), I have avoided driving for the last week and took it out on the weekend. I had to stop and get petrol, of course it didn't start again when I had filled up. Someone was there to help with jumping the car; however, it still would not start. I roll started it, so I'm thinking that it is likely to be the starter.

I'll keep you posted. At this stage I'll probably take it to Subaru.
sainthendy

Car: Subaru Liberty 2005 SpecB

Postby Russ59 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:53 am

If it's the starter motor your best bet would be to take it to an Auto Electrician, Subaru won't repair they will want to replace it with a genuine part and big $$$$. By all means take it into them for a positive diagnosis on the issue but unless you have no choice try and have it reconditioned if you can :) My son has a H6 Liberty Spec B wagon and the starter motor has been on it's way out for a while, it just died yesterday, he removed it from the car (10 -15 mins DIY job) and has taken it with him (off to work) dropping into Auto Electrics place this morning for a quote on reconditioning. Will try to post back later and give you an idea on a price :) Reading through your last post in a little more depth and I noticed that you said it turned over but a little sluggishly ?? I would suspect battery if that's the case and that could well be what is giving you dash warning lights every now and then too. Sounds like the battery has dropped a cell, this is especially common when the cold weather hits :)
Russ59

Car: MY06 Outback R Premium 3.0

Postby Soon2bspecb » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi all,

I thought this may be the best pace to ask a similar question.

I have a 2005 SpecB ... I think !!

Recently, the remote key was getting sluggish (ie. not wanting to lock/unlock the car unless very vey close to the drivers door).
Anyway, I decided to change the battery. I removed the battery and because the shops were closed, I thought I'd pick one up the next day.
I drove the car twice that night using the key only, and then to work the following day. However, when jumping in the car to come home from work,
the car decided not to start :-(

The symptoms were, it would sometimes crank and for a split second "start" .... and then die. Or not even crank ! The "key" light on the dash lit up (which I'm not sure if it normally did?).
So I had to leave the car and return the next day to attemp to fix it. A call to Subaru was "no help" ... except "bring it in next week". So I had a spare key. I tried that and it worked perfect.
All good for now ... except now I have the original key with a new battery that doesn't work ... so no use as a spare :-(

Any suggestions for a fix ... or reputable person to take it to that know what they are doing. I'm on the Gold Coast QLD

P.S. I'm not even sure if the car comes standard with an alarm. Does it, as it has never been set off ?

Lindsay
Soon2bspecb

Postby BillyCorgi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:37 pm

Soon2bspecb wrote:Anyway, I decided to change the battery. I removed the battery and because the shops were closed, I thought I'd pick one up the next day.

Lindsay

When you "openned" to remove the battery, did you lose the immobiliser chip?
Did you put the cover back on or did you leave the cover off?

If the key icon goes soild red then your key is not communicating with the immobiliser system which suggests that your immobiliser chip is missing.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific