"Tuning" the 3.0R (BP)

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

"Tuning" the 3.0R (BP)

Postby hmhaga » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:27 pm

After an "internet tune" with mixed results, I decided to tune the car myself (Previous knowledge of tuning a JDM STI V3/V4 with Power FC). What I've come to realize is that what people are getting is not a "tune", but rather a map that restores the performance to the levels intended by Subaru. Driving on 95 RON, my car would typically end up with an IAM <0.5, which makes the engine perform like a 90 bhp Civic.

IAM was being dropped by the ECU due to rapid AVCS and ignition timing transitions, and in general a way too aggressive ignition map, especially at peak engine torque, which caused detonation. As the mid-range detonation was solved, the engine would start to detonate at higher rpms - as it had never been using IAM 1.0 for an extended period of time.

Next up was AFR. Stock map programmed to run AFR 14.7 at all to high loads and rpms, and switch-over from CL to OL was way too delayed - causing lean detonation BEFORE reaching OL. Lowering the AFR above 1.0 load and 1900 rpm resulted in a very noticeable increase in torque. Better acceleration and engine will hold on to 5th gear on steeper inclines.

Equalize cruise and non-cruise AVCS and ignition tables, to avoid rapid changes on cruise-non-cruise transition
Reduce timing overall, but especially at peak torque
Zero out CL to OL delay
Decrease AFR at load

In practical terms the ECU is de-tuned, but this restores the intended performance which is hidden away by IAM < 1.0.
Secondly, mixed fuel consumption decreased by as much as 20%!

Wonder what genius at Subaru that made the stock maps....
hmhaga

Car: 2006 Liberty Outback 3.0R

Re: "Tuning" the 3.0R (BP)

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Nice first post dude. :lol:

Also - are the throttle tables as bad on the 3.0 as they are on the 2.0/2.5 LGTs/Wrxs?
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby HardwareBoB » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:20 pm

Yeah, nice!
It's well known how awful the H6 tunes were - much worse than the turbo ones.
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby Robbks » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Also - are the throttle tables as bad on the 3.0 as they are on the 2.0/2.5 LGTs/Wrxs?

Worse....

^^ and as the OP has pointed out, those of us who've been tuned by Matt or Edward already know the secret to getting them running is "de-tuning" giving it some fuel to burn and generally flattening things out to make them smooth
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby west_minist » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Correct. For some reason someone is sleeping at Subaru when the models are exported from Japan. I don't understand how their engineers could sell a car outside from japan running on export gas, knocking the day lights out of them and keep the tune. But hey, It give us tuners business.
West_Minist

Subaru Diagnostics & Logging Reviewer
Subaru Expert Tuner
http://www.xtremeracingtuning.com/forum
info@xtremeracingtuning.com

Facebook

Viciously Tuned, Driven Hard
west_minist

Car: 2000 Subaru Impreza 2R 4EAT

Postby Daytona » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Yep. West-minist did my tuning and I'm really happy with it. Did a bang up job (and more to come with the cold air intake).
Night and day difference and weird that the car shipped from Subaru like it.
Daytona

Postby Flat6Estate » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:36 pm

I wonder if subaru tuned it that way so the 3 0 wasn't better from the factory than the gt 2.5t ?
Like ford de-tuned the xr6t so it wasn't better than the xr8.....
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby alexeiwoody » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Flat6Estate wrote:I wonder if subaru tuned it that way so the 3 0 wasn't better from the factory than the gt 2.5t ?
Like ford de-tuned the xr6t so it wasn't better than the xr8.....

Arguably, the GT is tuned even further from it's potential.

Robbks wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:Also - are the throttle tables as bad on the 3.0 as they are on the 2.0/2.5 LGTs/Wrxs?

Worse....

^^ and as the OP has pointed out, those of us who've been tuned by Matt or Edward already know the secret to getting them running is "de-tuning" giving it some fuel to burn and generally flattening things out to make them smooth

I had a look at the stock map of a 2007 3.0R and the throttle tables are actually better. Nothing stupid like 50% closing the throttle opening at 5500rpm WOT on many of the turbo models.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby hmhaga » Tue May 05, 2015 7:41 pm

IAM steady at 1.0 after an additional 2000 km. Low down torque improved further after flattening out the KCA-tables (keeping total timing the same) and enable learning down to 0.55 load.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of filling up the tank with 98 RON yesterday. Never tried that before. Had to use the Outback on a race track when taking my racing driver license (flag rules, safety car etc) and used 98 RON for additional safety. Should never have done that - this totally transformed the car. Almost like having an additional 50 bhp, even the engine note changed. Oh no...98 RON is 2.2 usd/litre - so way too expensive :roll:
hmhaga

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Wed May 06, 2015 6:01 pm

hmhaga wrote:IAM was being dropped by the ECU due to rapid AVCS and ignition timing transitions, and in general a way too aggressive ignition map, especially at peak engine torque, which caused detonation. As the mid-range detonation was solved, the engine would start to detonate at higher rpms - as it had never been using IAM 1.0 for an extended period of time.

Next up was AFR. Stock map programmed to run AFR 14.7 at all to high loads and rpms, and switch-over from CL to OL was way too delayed - causing lean detonation BEFORE reaching OL. Lowering the AFR above 1.0 load and 1900 rpm resulted in a very noticeable increase in torque. Better acceleration and engine will hold on to 5th gear on steeper inclines.

Equalize cruise and non-cruise AVCS and ignition tables, to avoid rapid changes on cruise-non-cruise transition
Reduce timing overall, but especially at peak torque
Zero out CL to OL delay
Decrease AFR at load

In practical terms the ECU is de-tuned, but this restores the intended performance which is hidden away by IAM < 1.0.
Secondly, mixed fuel consumption decreased by as much as 20%!

Wonder what genius at Subaru that made the stock maps....

Do not equalize the Cruise/Non Cruise tables, they exist for a reason ;) Try towing a small boat/caravan or have a few friends with camping gear in it and you will quickly find out why ;) Dynamically decompressing the engine under high load is there for a reason as fuel/timing offsets the decompression and switching to Non-Cruise as needed ;)

Fuel map runs 14.7 under 3200rpm in most stock tunes, with AFR targetting 13's depending on ECU by 3600rpm which is what gives the factory turbo kick, with none of the turbo as it suddenly fuels up. Yet to see any factory tune run super lean at high load UNLESS the AF#1 trims were on -10% or more in the AF#1 C or D ranges.
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Postby hmhaga » Fri May 08, 2015 1:12 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:Do not equalize the Cruise/Non Cruise tables, they exist for a reason ;) Try towing a small boat/caravan or have a few friends with camping gear in it and you will quickly find out why ;)

The issue is that when I was finished adjusting timing on the non-cruise tables, they ended up with less timing than the stock cruise-tables -> causing knock in cruise conditions. The main goal the remap has been to increase torque, as the car is used to tow a racing car and two Icelandic horses. This has been achieved - with reduced fuel consumption as an additional bonus.
Attachments
IMAG0382.jpg
IMAG0382.jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
IMAG0354.jpg
IMAG0354.jpg (121.67 KiB) Viewed 5093 times
hmhaga

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific