Ez30 turbo kit production??????

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Ez30 turbo kit production??????

Postby alexeiwoody » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:22 pm

HardwareBoB wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:The only difficulty/downside to installing a turbo on an H6 is the physical installation. The fact that it's uncommon and needs a little more $$ for custom jobbie.

After that - every bit of $$ invested will give you more of everything vs same $$ invested in an EJ255, performance wise - as Rob said.

For a street car, a GTB is cheaper/easier to get to 200-250kw. IMO above that - the H6 takes over and keeps going in terms of value. Goodluck building a 900hp race engine with a 4 banger EJ255. Even an EJ207 with all it's amazeballs bits and pieces is missing 50% cubic inches compared to the 3.0L. That's your torque down low and the ability to spool up a gt40r right there.

EJ255 glass issues aside, I think the H6s advantage is generally on the street - in a race car, you don't really need to care about low end torque, and it's relatively well known how to get 4-500kw out of an EJ2xx, but honestly by the time you are making that sort of power, the original build of the engine is less relevant.

H6 turbo is the path less travelled for a lot of reasons, and it may be better in some ways, but critically, it doesn't make an EJ 2xx crap, as some have said.

Yep, I also don't want to take anything away from the EJ255 as I absolutely love mine). A great compliment for the 4 cyl was when Mark drove my lib after his supercharged H6 and his comment was that my 2.5L has quite a bit more torque. And that was before the torquier MSR tune. Fun times.

But I've seen a long block ez30 sitting around at Phils garage with potential for 900hp and quad avcs iirc and even after seeing his 400atw 2.5L blocks - that H6 is a step above. A street car with that race engine in it would be daily-drive-shaft-snapping fun :).
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific