Exhaust setup (Raptor headers, Xforce catback)

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Exhaust setup (Raptor headers, Xforce catback)

Postby luijustin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:20 pm

McDoof wrote:I've been trying to find a pic of the Vibrant Resonator fitted to a Legacy and found this on the US legacygt.com site
This is the 3" version from the look of it, but seems to fit in there quite nicely without being too low. It thought it was fitted quite far back, but it sits exactly where the stock resonator sits if I compare it to my car.

Do you know which model from the Vibrant range this is? is the the Ultra Quiet Resonator?
I currently have raptor headers into 200cpi cats into xforce mid section + Y pipe then to stock muffs. I am over the drone (I have an auto) so looking for a quieter mid section .
luijustin

Postby McDoof » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:27 pm

Do you know which model from the Vibrant range this is? is the the Ultra Quiet Resonator?
I currently have raptor headers into 200cpi cats into xforce mid section + Y pipe then to stock muffs. I am over the drone (I have an auto) so looking for a quieter mid section .

This is the Ultra Quiet Yes.
I'm looking at adding this to my system. I am currently running Raptor Headers -> Stock Cats -> Custom 2.5" piping to Y -> Stock Mid pipe and resonator -> Ultrex Stainless single tips.
The mid section is the flow restriction here so looking at putting this in with more custom 2.5" piping.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby Daytona » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:33 am

OK, so I took the jump and got the Vibrant (model 1141) installed.

Pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tyron-d67 ... ed-public/

Verdict:
- Sounds a lot better inside the cabin.
- Removed most of the drone (hardly any left, what is left is pretty normal, though not as quite as stock).
- Removed that raspiness at the lower revs (say about 3000ish RPM) when hard accellerating.
- I can hear the headers better now.
- I can hear the intake better.
- Way less vibration in the car.
- I did lose about 2cm-ish ground clearance, but can still clear speed bumps without going on angles (just me in the car or including a passenger).

It's still got a deepish sound, it's just made the car sound a lot "tighter". I haven't had the chance yet to hear it outside the car, but just revving it sounds different, but not massively so. It's like it's just tided up the sound.

I can hear the difference when I plant it in say, an industrial area. The sounds that get reflected back are very different. Also driving through valleys and gorges sounds a lot better. I'll try and get video up when I can, but it's definitely worth it. Plus the quality of the Vibrant 1141 is very good - feels extremely solid and the walls are quite thick as well.

And I must give a shout out to TTT Auto Engineering in Mount Eden in Auckland.
They did a very impressive job and managed to fit a 22" resonator (what was there) and a 14" mid muffler!
Daytona

Postby Daytona » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:50 am

And a step by step list of what I've gone through with the exhaust, hopefully this helps others out when they're figuring out exhaust options!

1 ) HEADERS/CATS
- Installed headers (Raptor) and hi flow cats (Xforce 100cell)
- Third cat delete
- Found that exhaust sounded like crap (due to the hiflow cats)
- Hiflow cats also make your car smell like a vintage vehicle (very raw exhaust smell)

2 ) FRONT RESONATORS
- Front resonators (2x Coby) installed to help reduce rasp
- Exhaust sounded good at this point, very different from stock.

3 ) CATBACK
- Catback went on (Xforce)
- Wrong midsection supplied
- Rasp back, different note though
- Felt like loss of power (maybe due to extreme free flow?)
- Drone

4 ) MODIFICATION OF MID SECTION
- Mid section removed
- Collector flange removed
- 22" Resonator (Coby) installed
- Drone still present
- Most of rasp removed, but still there on acceleration
- Around this time got the 0420 code, was tuned out
- Deep sound, but very low notes that created vibration

5 ) INSERTS
- Created my own inserts based on standard muffler inserts
- Removed a lot of drone
- Removed a lot of rasp
- Still loud (I don't mind loud, but this loud is headache inducing low frequency)

6) SOUND PROOFING
- Added sound deadening into trunk
- Added sound deadening under rear carpet and seat
- Blocked vents above mufflers (not sure if this is AOK yet)
- Didn't make a huge difference but was noticable.

7 ) SENSORS
- Changed O2 sensors, no difference to exhaust notes.

8 ) TUNE CHANGE
- Tune changed
- Engine sounded different
- Drone and rasp still present

9 ) FUEL CHANGE
- Changed my fuel to Gull Force 10
- Removed a lot more rasp
- Very small amount of rasp left, noticable on takeoff/hard acceleration

11) HEAT SHIELDS
- Removed heat shields above mufflers
- Did remove some of the rattle/rasp
- No major amounts of heat exiting top of mufflers (Xforce ones anyways)

12 ) VIBRANT
- Removed custom inserts
- Vibrant 1141 installed in mid section
- Coby 22" moved into the rear Y
- Rear Y flange removed
- Removed major rasp and drone
- Vibration removed
- Overall much better on the inside
- Still feels like loss of power

13 ) FIX POWER LOSS
- Reinserted muffler inserts
- Feels like more power
- Further reduced drone
- Quiet as what you could probably get it

14 ) PROBABLY HAPPY NOW, NEED A NEW VIDEO THOUGH.

And a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE thanks to:
- Tim at Raptor, very helpful dude and great products!
- Ed
- Matt
- McDoof
- And all the info from various members here!

The muffler inserts are not ideal but I swear the butt dyno says they make a difference. They're only in because of that - not because of sound.
Every time I start the car on a cold start, always brings a smile to the face :-)

EDIT - Forgot to add bits about adding sound deadening, muffler shields and a bit more on the muffler inserts.
Last edited by Daytona on Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daytona

Postby vertix » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:47 am

Good write up.

About to redo my exhaust as well, pretty much same problems as you. Rasp, drone, feels like loss of power etc. Atleast I now have some more info to go off, thanks :D!
vertix

Car: 2007 liberty 3R-B manual SC

Postby Daytona » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:09 pm

No worries man, exhaust is probably the hardest thing on the car I've messed with. What sounds good to one person sounds crap to anothe person and getting the tone just right is really dificult as so much affects it. It's actually amazing how quiet the car is stock considering she's a very decent car in stock form (with a tune).

And I've also found that the exhaust changes with how long the engine has been running and I'm sure it changes depending where I am in the country. As soon as I'm up higher, I'm sure the exhaust sounded different!
Daytona

Postby McDoof » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:22 pm

I think we can all give Daytona a nice big thanks for going through all of this and trying to work out the black art that is exhaust tuning. This should be stickied so that everyone can benefit from the findings and avoid making mistakes along the way.
What we really need is a friendly exhaust fitter willing to donate his time. A big stack of parts (mufflers, resonators, cats etc.) A dyno and a tuner.
That way we could work out what the perfect combination really is. What gives decent sound and what gives real performance increases.
Maybe we should hit up the guys at MCM (Mighty Car Mods) to see if they would be willing to undertake the challenge of finding the perfect exhaust for the 3.0R.
It almost fits in with their "super gramps" build. http://mightycarmods.com/blogs/news/15440417-martys-gramps-build-diary-in-pictures Although this has been transferred into a Gen4 wagon now. http://mightycarmods.com/blogs/news/35817156-its-time-to-paint-supergramps-and-youre-invited
McDoof

Postby Daytona » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:51 pm

Thanks for that man :-)

It would have been awesome to know someone who has welding skills and a bunch of spare kit and time to help figure out the best exhaust!
I'd never heard about that super gramps build - that is a very awesome build!

Videos will be up in about a week or sooner if I can get some time.
Daytona

Postby SegR » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:26 pm

McDoof wrote:I think we can all give Daytona a nice big thanks for going through all of this and trying to work out the black art that is exhaust tuning.

+1

Daytona are the pipes still 2.5" all the way through?
I am wondering if 2.25" all the way through with 200cell cats and a centre muffler is the magic recipe. (mcdoof suggested 2.25" and stock cats on page 1 of this thread)

McDoof wrote: This should be stickied so that everyone can benefit from the findings and avoid making mistakes along the way.
What we really need is a friendly exhaust fitter willing to donate his time. A big stack of parts (mufflers, resonators, cats etc.) A dyno and a tuner.
That way we could work out what the perfect combination really is. What gives decent sound and what gives real performance increases.

If such a reputable person existed, I would donate to this cause.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby Daytona » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:46 pm

SegR:
Thanks! And yep, 2.5" with the exception of the rear Y pipe - I'll get dimensions of that on the weekend, but I think that narrows down ever so slightly.
But other than that it's 2.5" all the way.

I thought it was just me and my imagination with the power loss, so it's good to see others encountering the same. Not sure if a tune can counteract this.

But yeah, I'm leaning towards smaller pipes, definitely not 100cell cats and definitely a center muffler, and the Vibrant seems to do a pretty good job.
Because of the existing resonators in the system, these will be altering the sound, but not sure to what extent. An exhaust fitter with the time would definitely be useful!

Video
Managed to do a quick video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDIzPTku70s

The previous video (without the Vibrant) actually had the missus driving and me filming, and she pushed the car harder than what I did in the clip I just uploaded. But if you watch the original outside clip, just before it hits 0.02 seconds and just after, you can hear the exhaust tone change - that's what I wanted to remove. That little bit gets worse after driving for a while. Any time you decide to downshift and then accelerate hard - you used to get that sound. You don't hear it at higher RPM, just on the initial acceleration.

With the just uploaded clip, that little bit of "rasp" (I don't know what else to call it) isn't present. But the exhaust still sounds pretty deep.
Daytona

Postby Tradewind » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:37 pm

I should pop by more often :)

It is always possible to make up a full exhaust as a manufacturer ,but the shipping etc and endless personal preferences led me to just make the really difficult part and leave the rest to the endless exhaust shops around the country.
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby Kesh » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:36 pm

I have raptor headers, magnaflow 200cell cats, 2 resonators, and 2 straight through mufflers. I'm gonna take the mufflers out and see what it sounds like!! Hopefully it doesn't sound like crap! hahah
Kesh

Postby Daytona » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:03 am

Righto, bit of an overdue update.

Car's been running with the Vibrant for two months now and really liking it. The exhaust inserts are out. Matt came over to NZ a couple weeks back and he took a look at the car and I must say she's running really, really awesome now!

Haven't got an exhaust clip yet but she's sounding pretty awesome.

Matt did some awesome work with the tune and that with the free flow exhaust (essentially) and the intake, car feels great through twisty roads. The gear changes are also quicker. The missus had a quick drive and she could feel the difference right away - and she doesn't drive the car very often. She felt the torque difference and definitely could tell the difference with changing gears.

I definitely use all modes now, S# when I want fun, S sometime around town - I probably spend about 60%-70% of my time in I mode and it's very good. I can do casual overtaking in that mode. S# is wicked through twisty roads.

I think that's pretty much closing the story on my exhaust modifications, I still plan on doing an updated exhaust clip, will update whenever I get the clip done.
Daytona

Postby HYP3RFST » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:51 pm

hey everyone, ik im a few years late but does anyone in this thread have videos of there car with the resonators behind the highflow cats still available as I cant access any of the links in the thread, if so what resonators did you go with, I have raptor headers bolted to high flow cats and a y pipe leading into a 3inch x force catback, trying to get rid of rasp what's everyone's thoughts, Thanks in advance, Chaz
HYP3RFST

Car: Blue 3.0r spec B

Postby McDoof » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:17 pm

Hey, that rasp is partly due to your cat setup, but the stock resonator is actually very good at reducing it. It's a straight through design and remarkably good at making that sound a lot smoother. One of the other guys had a couple of red coby resonators in place of the stock cats, which sounded OK, but still a bit raspy.
McDoof

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific