Looking for a 3.0R-B Wagon... auto or manual?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Looking for a 3.0R-B Wagon... auto or manual?

Postby GU Duke » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:30 pm

Hi guys,

Subi newbi here, so please be gentle!!!

It seems to me that a Liberty 3.0R Spec B wagon might be the perfect blend of ticking the 'practical family' boxes (kids 11 & 9 yrs and a large dog) while giving a touch of luxury and capable of stirring plenty of emotion! The other car is a modified GU Nissan Patrol, so the Liberty won't need to tow anything, but will be doing plenty of inner Melbourne commuting and school runs as well as the family holidays where 4WDing and camping is not involved. The wife is used to driving a manual (the Patrol + our last 4-5 cars), but our current 2nd car is an auto and I can't help wondering if it isn't a better compromise for a car which will spend much of its time driven in city traffic.

So what is the better gearbox for our situation - auto or manual? I have searched and found a number of threads on the subject. It seems the majority just say "get the manual" or "you won't be disappointed with the manual". I think you guys have already convinced me that my first mod will be a Kido tune; I've also seen a few posts saying that the Kido tune does wonders to fix the worst points of the auto and even the odd few which say that the manual is better matched to the GT engine but not so well to the 3.0R, then recommend the auto as a better match. So my questions are as follows:

a) I know the 0-100 times are significantly different for manual vs auto, but with the Kido tune helping both engine and slushbox, does this gap get smaller after a Kido tune?

b) Recommendations auto vs manual given our use and requirements?

c) How much does a Kido tune cost for an auto 3.0R? (I presume auto is more expensive than manual?)

d) Does the spec B suspension still handle the odd potholed back road OK? (We won't be taking it 4WDing, but we have mates who live a couple of km up dirt roads and would still like to be able to use it as a standard car rather than a weekend driver.

e) Can anyone recommend a mechanic who knows Libertys inside and out for a pre-purchase inspection in the inner South East Melbourne area (we are in Bentleigh).

Thanks!
GU Duke

Re: Looking for a 3.0R-B Wagon... auto or manual?

Postby Robbks » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:03 am

Check the for sale section mate,
Have a look at my 3RB wagon, if you've got kids, you do not want to buy a 3.0R with beige interior

It's Already Kido tuned, and it transfers to the new owner.

But to answer your questions
a) forget 0-100 times you never drive like that, the H6 gen4 is a big heavy car, but with a tune, the in-gear torque makes it very quick on the road

b) the manual is really nice to drive, and so is the auto. with the tune it's easy to skip gears (1-3-5) or even take off in 2nd if nose downhill to save a few changes.

c) nothing if you buy mine.. :D otherwise send matt a message and ask him

d) I found the standard SpecB suspension still a little soft on the big wagon and got worse when loaded up with my camper-trailer, so I upgraded to the TunedBy STi gear. and it handles the horrible back roads and gravel tracks of Tassie fine, tows better and is more comfortable
I did go back to 17" outback wheels with nice grippy (on gravel) rubber for towing and camping/ touring and that helps drastically to soften up the ride, witout affecting the handling

e) can't help.
But mine is 100% spot on with just about every driveline and suspension component checked, replaced by very reputable workshops here in Hobart
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby GU Duke » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info mate - very helpful.

Robbks wrote:Check the for sale section mate,
a) forget 0-100 times you never drive like that, the H6 gen4 is a big heavy car, but with a tune, the in-gear torque makes it very quick on the road

Understood, but is it not still a descent reflection on the stock auto being a much softer performer than the stock manual? What I really meant by my question (0-100 aside) was really so see if a KiDo tuned auto is a lot closer in performance to a KiDo tuned manual than stock auto is to stock manual?

I had noticed your add actually. For the obvious reasons though it would need to be a pretty special buy to tempt me into buying interstate unless I had exhausted all local options first!

Your reference to 'lift removed' in your add post - I presume that means you had fitted coil spaces to go with larger diameter tyres on the 17" rims?

Cheers,
GU Duke

Postby TOU6E » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:07 am

I have the auto. Never again would again I get one. Miss the engine braking into corners...
TOU6E

Car: BP5

Postby Robbks » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:08 am

As for engine braking into corners, guess you've never done a driver training day
Gears are for going
Brakes are for slowing.
the H6 has huge brakes, no need to stress the driveline for slowing down.

Back to teh OP,
Yes, the auto simply loses a little time through the stock tranny not giving 100% drive to the wheels until the torque converter locks up properly,
and the stock tune being so crappy down low it takes a lot to get it moving
Matt's tune gets it much closer, with more low-down torque able to get it off teh line faster, and the shifts being faster with less tranny slip.

as for your local options.....
there's stuff all about in the country if you want a Manual wagon,
and even fewer with the work already done and money already spent... plus it's still cheaper than other, bog stock
but hey who am I to judge buying an inferior car.

Strut Top spacers, from Subtle solutions, they sit between the strut top and body
not Spring spacers (dodgy)
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
Robbks

Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Postby GU Duke » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks guys. Still have a few more to look at locally too!
GU Duke

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific