H6 Outback C0057 Error Code - Spark Plug Coil

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

H6 Outback C0057 Error Code - Spark Plug Coil

Postby Curley5959 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi All,

Father had his major service on his 2005 H6 Outback on Friday (Spark Plugs, Auto Transmission Flush etc etc). We were doing some logs today to send off to our tuner, we did nothing over the top, a second gear pull and a few drop backs to imitate overtaking.

We had only driven about 10 mins and turned around and were heading home. On the home stretch, the Check Engine Light started flashing and the Traction Control light came on. The car was running really rough and sluggish, like it was running on 4-5 cylinders. We got it home, turned it off, and popped the bonnet. The engine was roasting, but the temperature gauge had never risen above half. There was a fair bit of smoke coming from the Catalytic Converter. Still not sure if this is due to oil being spilled on it? Anyway, it only got worse so we wet it down with a hose to cool it off so nothing caught fire (We are both scarred for life from a previous car catching fire with the whole family in it - an oily rag left on the motor - but that's another story :) )

Checked for error codes and a C0057 appeared, which is an issue with the Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) - or a communications issue somewhere in the car.

After a fair bit of time speculating/researching what it could be, and finally going under the car to look for loose connectors, broken wires etc, we stumbled across the rear left spark plug lead was not quite connected to the coil pack. I pushed it back on but it sprung back off. The nib/tab was broken on the coil pack and the lead cannot clip back on. We fixed this by temporarily using a cable tie to hold it on until we can get it fixed.

We are both hoping that this was the issue, but are still not too sure on the whole temperature/smoke situation from the cats/transmission area. Would a loose spark plug lead cause this issue?

Any input would be much appreciated.

On another note, the power steering fluid was changed, and there is now a whine from the power steering pump. We noticed a bit of fluid on the top of the motor, not sure if this is spillage from when the hose was pulled off. From what I can find, the whining is due to air in the pump, and replacing the O-Ring should fix this issue. Would I be correct in saying this?

Thanks
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Re: H6 Outback C0057 Error Code - Spark Plug Coil

Postby KiDo_Tuning » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:45 pm

Your right on the power steering pump

The coil pack would not of been firing, thus unburnt fuel going into the exhaust manifold and being burnt by the 2 subsequent ignition events causing the cat to get VERY hot. In future, I would consider replacing both cats, it has most likely melted the face of the cat and is blocking flow
KiDo Racing Tunes Info: HERE

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people
KiDo_Tuning

Car: Subarus + Nissans

Re: H6 Outback C0057 Error Code - Spark Plug Coil

Postby Curley5959 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:58 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:Your right on the power steering pump

The coil pack would not of been firing, thus unburnt fuel going into the exhaust manifold and being burnt by the 2 subsequent ignition events causing the cat to get VERY hot. In future, I would consider replacing both cats, it has most likely melted the face of the cat and is blocking flow

Thanks Matt. Your help is much appreciated. Car seems to be fine today. It will be getting looked over by mechanic tomorrow anyway.

-

On another note, and I know its not relevant to this topic, I am having some trouble with the tune for my H6 Liberty. It is being done by XRT, as you haven't been near my area for a while now. After a number of issues (crack in airbox, timing issue, o2 sensors - all of which are now fixed) there is still a bad issue with lag and jerkiness around 3000-4000 RPM. All of the usual things have been done. It has had a major service including spark plugs, MAF clean, replaced O2 sensors, fixed vacuum leaks, changed fuel filter (which helped a lot). The tune is running rich but car is saying it is lean apparently. Would you have any ideas? I appreciate your help
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific