H6 3.0 - dull performance?

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: H6 3.0 - dull performance?

Postby RX25SE » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:11 am

Agreed.
/off topic

I have a tuned H6 6speed and I find the performance adequate/good. As I tow a fairly heavy camper trailer, I felt a H6 was a better option than a turbo motor.

To compare a 180kW 3.0 6cyl to a 185kW 5.0 V8 is a little like apples and oranges. The V8 makes a ton of torque low in the rev range so it will accelerate a vehicle of similar weight much harder. Bear in mind that torque is what will accelerate the car, power will just make it go fast so basically a small capacity engine with low torque will make good power numbers if it can rev hard enough.

If you are thinking a 2.5 n/a will save on fuel over the H6, it may be worth speaking with a few members. I was chatting to a bloke with a 2.5 n/a auto wagon and his fuel consumption was almost identical to mine, worse is some cases.

My suggestion would be go for a spin in a tuned H6, it may just change your mind.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby BillyCorgi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:52 am

Hi there,

Let's address notmyrealname's two questions......
Do I need to keep the revs up to get some decent excitement? Is it highway cruising and overtaking where these engines do best? I'm honestly thinking I'll just get a post FL 2.5 to save on fuel and rego.
I know this all rather subjective, but any real world experience from other 3.0 owners would be appreciated.

Having four Subaru's across the family, I will try to cover the differences across each.
There is my MY05 3.0R-B Wagon, the MY09 2.5I Liberty Wagon now driven by No.2 son, the MY12 Forester 2.5 manual driven by Mrs Wife, plus No.1 Son's MY02 Outback 2.5.
Admittedly all are manuals, and I do not have experience with Subaru Automatics.

It is the 3.0R-B and the MY09 Wagon that I drive the most. Both have been treated by Matt with a Kido-Tune.
I enjoy driving both and they DO BEHAVE differently. Different engines, different gearboxes and different ratios.
Yes, the 3.0R-B needs revs on board to get the most performance. Everything happens above 3,500 rpm. However it does have sufficient torque delivery down low. I can potter it about town keeping everything below 2,500 rpm and extract low 11's per 100km out of it. I consistently achieve better consumption around town in the 3.0R-B than does Mrs Wife driving her FB25 engine Forester.
However, when giving the revs it wants, it can get up and goes nicely (enough for me).

The MY09 2.5i Liberty wagon delivers nice torque immediately above idle and is a very nice point-to-point car to punt around the city. However there are two issue with the car that should be noted.
By comparison to the 3.0R-B it feels to be running out of puff at 4,000 rpm, where the 3.0R-B is coming into song.
Also, the 2.5i cannot be pottered about at the low end of the rev range to the extent that the 3.0R-B can.

Which is better?
Definitely for straight out grunt, the 3.0R-B exceeds.
Both cars are a pleasure to drive, however they deliver different driving experiences.
Both driving experiences are rewarding, however they are different.

A post face-lift 2.5i remains a good proposition.
Sincerely, I would still consider a 2.5i if I were in the market for a replacement car within the Family.

I hope that this provides you with an independent viewpoint from a 3.0R-B owner with regular access to the 2.5i.
Last edited by BillyCorgi on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby notmyrealname » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks again guys.

I took notice of the long range trip meter in the 3.0R-B I test drove the other day and was surprised the indicated consumption was very similar to what I get from my 2.5NA - so fuel consumption in a 3.0 is one less thing I have to lie to my wife about :D

I do enjoy the drive in my 2.5 wagon, but since I have decided I will be keeping it then that is all the more reason for me to get something different for the 'second' car. I think I am sold on getting a 3.0, and I don't think I'll regret it. Now, do I get the regular 3.0R or Spec B ...... :)
cheers, David

MY04 2.5i Wagon | DBA T2 rotors | Bendix pads | Bilsteins | OEM Sports Grille | Custom hail damage
notmyrealname

Car: 2004 2.5i wagon

Postby BillyCorgi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:58 pm

SPEC-B
The 6 speeder is Bliss-On-A-Stick

By the way, you WILL have to modify your driving style to extract good economy from the 3.0R.
On a trip, the 3.0R and the 2.5i will return very similar fuel economy numbers.

In the city be conservative with your driving.
Stick the boot in only when someone deserves to be chopped.
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby dr20t » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:09 pm

KiDo_Tuning wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:
Brunsy3.0 wrote:I got H6 mt though never been in an auto so cant judge directly on the autobox but the H6 is a nice engine. After a tune you def feel the difference as stated. The TCU can be tuned to a point so take that into consideration. I love this car is a good bit of fun when it needs to be but smooth and reliable the rest of the time . hope you find what your looking for

Auto TCUs are not tuned by anyone. Even kido tuning who claims to have all tcus mapped out etc etc won't bother tuning a TCU for a stock car.

As hardware bob said the transmission will liven up with a proper ECU tune, but it is in no way due to tuning of TCUs. The gearbox just likes a smoother engine tune. Even then if you want the best performance you'll need to put it into gear yourself.

Comparing your experience as a passenger and as a driver doesn't work. My car scares the shite out of me when driven by my tuner or engine builder (me as a passenger). When I'm behind the wheel it's a more controlled feeling, even getting pushed into the seat won't impress you as much.

Please dont tell me what I am or am not doing. Your wrong like usual.
Tuned a TCU only for a car I dont tune purely to lift the rev limit to 7200rpm before it changes as the engine has big cams in an MY10 2.5. Its running Cobb plus Tactrix... TCU tuned via Tactrix
I tune the TCU computer in the early 04 to 05 cars purely as they drive better with even with the 06 TCU program loaded. Last 12 months has seen me tuning the actual TCU so it improves gearshifts on even a stock car.

Matt that's awesome. Can we tune the tcu on mine seeing as I've been complaining about the Convertor not allowing me to get on boost properly with the 0.82 housing for ages? I wouldn't have gone to the 0.63 if i knew that was the case.

I can get it to spool on the brake now alot easier with the 0.63 housing but would be great to see what this does.

Also would be great to get maybe a little less sharp shifting in 1st to 2nd?
Addicted to corn juice....

My FrankenStien build thread here: viewtopic.php?t=14137
dr20t

Car: 04 Liberty GT Auto
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=14137

Postby alexeiwoody » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:40 pm

dr20t wrote:Matt that's awesome. Can we tune the tcu on mine seeing as I've been complaining about the Convertor not allowing me to get on boost properly with the 0.82 housing for ages? I wouldn't have gone to the 0.63 if i knew that was the case.

I can get it to spool on the brake now alot easier with the 0.63 housing but would be great to see what this does.

Also would be great to get maybe a little less sharp shifting in 1st to 2nd?

Goodluck Mick. Let us know how it goes

I won't hold my breath though... :roll:
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby McDoof » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:55 am

I had my 3.0RB (6MT) tuned by Matt and there is a real improvement in the low RPM torque. Much better to drive than than a turbo model in my humble opinion. I found the 2.5 N/A just lacked top end.
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Postby SegR » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:56 am

KiDo_Tuning wrote:Plenty of 3L H6's in Brisbane that might be willing to take you for a spin

David, this. Where in Brisbane are you?
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby notmyrealname » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:35 pm

SegR wrote:
KiDo_Tuning wrote:Plenty of 3L H6's in Brisbane that might be willing to take you for a spin

Taigum - northside.
cheers, David

MY04 2.5i Wagon | DBA T2 rotors | Bendix pads | Bilsteins | OEM Sports Grille | Custom hail damage
notmyrealname

Car: 2004 2.5i wagon

Postby WIDELOAD » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:04 am

notmyrealname wrote:
SegR wrote:

Taigum - northside.

If you come out to a cruise you can have a punt around in mine. Auto 3.0R with a Kido tune. :)
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby Ric B » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:46 am

To Get back on Topic ,

I bought my 3.0RB and thought it was a little sluggish at low revs - the Kido Tune makes a huge difference extra torque at the lower rev range.
Ric B

Car: Liberty MY07 3.0R Spec B Manual

Postby seanmau5 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:08 am

alexeiwoody wrote:Goodluck Mick. Let us know how it goes

You come across as quite the douche.
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Tonic » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:02 am

I'm saving for a supercharger. Kido's tune is great... Saving heaps of fuel with better drivability.... But too much power is never enough.........
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby alexeiwoody » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:00 pm

seanmau5 wrote:
alexeiwoody wrote:Goodluck Mick. Let us know how it goes

You come across as quite the douche.

Sorry, inside joke. I'm sure Mick isn't offended and knows what I mean
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby illuzn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:28 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:DBW does not increase line pressure. Increasing line pressure through the valve body increases line pressure. Perhaps even the TCU tuning can do it? I don't know, as I've never seen proof of the latter. Neither has anyone I know on this forum.

Isn't that precisely what this thread on the US forums tells people to do to increase line pressure? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tune-5eat-line-pressure-149282.html

That chap does sell modified valve bodies I guess but it is an independent person saying exactly the same thing.
illuzn

Car: 2007 Liberty 3.0R Premium

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific