Power steering shudder

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Power steering shudder

Postby diffo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Help needed!!!
2004 Liberty wagon 3.0R H6 auto

A couple of weeks ago the mrs complained about "a funny noise". Turns out the power steering looked as though it was leaking & the noise she was hearing was the low fluid in the reservoir.
Topped it up n all was good for a day or 2. Same issue. I did a bit of troubleshooting, the power steering fluid was getting aerated & working it way out through the cap.
A mate & myself carried out the 200 000 km service, checked out the power steering system etc, new power steering fluid, serp belt etc
After that i have..........
Put hose clamps on all hoses in system
Replaced all the o-rings in the system. Much the same prob, now with a slight shudder when turning right only
Pressure tested the system as best i could (with a 100 odd psi air compressor). Much the same.....
Replaced the suction hose with a temporary hose (bit of heater hose i had) from reservoir to top of pump & now the steering shudders like all f#%k (i've attempted to add a vid here)
I've got it up on a jack & when i turn the steering wheel either direction it shudders uncontrollably & doesn't stop until the car is turned off. Start it & no shudder until you turn the wheel. I haven't attempted anything with the car on the ground as last week when i did a bit (including a thorough bleed of the system) it didn't carry on like this on the stands.
It's turning into a bit of an on going saga. I'm looking at a pump initially then a steering rack.
Anyone out there had a similar issue. I've searched various websites etc & the only info i can find is about aeration. I'm leaning toward the pump shaft seal, but it's only a reasonably educated guess.
Any help would be fantastic.
Cheers
diffo

Car: 04 Liberty 3.0R wagon

Re: Power steering shudder

Postby owen » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Seals are gone and air is getting into the pump. You'll need to get your pump rebuilt.
owen

Car: VAB STi // VARIS 86
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17407

Postby agro » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:54 am

Mine has the same problem, been doing it for a couple months, got a replacement sitting there, I lack tools at the moment so I just top it up every now and again.
agro

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:21 am

Just changing out the fluid can help, followed by changing the o ring on the fluid return line, or rebuilding or replacing the pump. In either case bleed air from the system using the procedure in the factory service manual.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=3443 ... 34439fg000

http://forum.wrx.com.au/viewtopic.php?f ... f2dbc484db

http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8886

https://www.google.com.au/search?biw=32 ... R5N8&pbx=1
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby diffo » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks for the help.
Looks like i'll be chasing a replacement pump or rebuilding this one.
Any ideas where to get a seal kit or pump? (other than Subaru)
Thanks again
diffo

Postby Legacylad » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:26 pm

So have you replaced the o-ring where the return line goes into the top of the power steering pump?
I had a similar problem to yours, but it was only noisy and shuddering once you hit full lock in either direction and at that point the fluid became aerated.
The o-ring on top of the pump is the usual culprit for sucking in air and after I replaced mine the problem was solved.
The guys at Subaru told me I needed a new pump by the way, but a $3 part did the trick!
Legacylad

Car: 07 GT-B Sedan

Postby diffo » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Thanks for the help people.
I've replaced all the o-rings & had pirtek make up a pressure pipe. Mrs hasn't complained yet.
I finish work on Monday, so i'll be able to see how it's all going.
Got my hands on a pump rebuild kit from a local power steering mob.
Pump rebuild soon.......
Cheers
diffo

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific