Replacing catalytic converters

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Replacing catalytic converters

Postby geematt » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Hay All,
Just got quoted to replace cats and pipe from exit of Raptor headers to after 3rd cat. Was quoted EURO 4 cats (Magnaflow 200's with 3rd cat 100 cpsi).
$'s way more than expected so I did some research.
Cars after 1/1/2005 (iirc) are fitted with min EURO 3 std cats to meet ADR and EPA requires any cats that are replaced must meet that standard.
It seems the Magnaflows linked on the Tuffcarparts site (and others) are Euro 2 and a lower standard than that required.

Does anyone have a comment re this ? Have your exhaust guys commented on this at quote/fitment time and insisted on installing the higher grade cats ?

Not sure whether to meet the standards or just buy the EURO 2's and free issue for installation.

Thoughts ?
Mods: Pedders Extreme Coilovers | Whiteline bits | Raptor Headers | TCP Twin muffs | Cosworth Filter (!) | XRT ECU tune | ?? kw atw | Too old for stickers
geematt

Car: MY06 Liberty 3.0R-BSpec 6MT Wagz

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:24 pm

I opted for lower spec cats because I couldn't afford the euro 3 ones. I may run into trouble if I ever get emissions tested, but I can live with that.
I also wouldn't even bother replacing the third cat just get it deleted.
TheMightyGonzo

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Wagon

Postby geematt » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:44 pm

TheMightyGonzo wrote:I opted for lower spec cats because I couldn't afford the euro 3 ones. I may run into trouble if I ever get emissions tested, but I can live with that.
I also wouldn't even bother replacing the third cat just get it deleted.

Thanks Nick. Had the same thoughts. Way cheaper ! (135 vs 450 ish per cat) Did you free issue to Perf Exhausts or convince them to go that way ?
PM if you prefer.
Mods: Pedders Extreme Coilovers | Whiteline bits | Raptor Headers | TCP Twin muffs | Cosworth Filter (!) | XRT ECU tune | ?? kw atw | Too old for stickers
geematt

Car: MY06 Liberty 3.0R-BSpec 6MT Wagz

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:36 pm

I bought all if the parts myself, mostly from best mufflers, and gave them to the shop. Worked out a good 3-400 dollars cheaper overall. :D
TheMightyGonzo

Postby Daytona » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Gidday - just saw your post and your setup is more or less what I'm trying to do.

- Raptor headers
- High flow cats (100cel)
- Y pipe
- Xforce catback

How's your setup going? Noisey? Drones?
Saw your pictures and video clip - sounds nice!

I was going to delete the 3rd cat as well, but am wondering if a resonator (even the stock one) should go in there.
Daytona

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:27 am

Haven't had any issues with being too noisey, but it's definitely nice and loud once you get the revs up there. That video clip is only hitting around 4k, it gets pretty loud after that point.
It doesn't drone on the freeway too badly, you can hear it, but a normal conversation blocks it out, or you can play music at a normal volume without it being an issue.

If you're based around Melbourne and you want to have a listen before you commit to it, shoot me a pm, be happy to take you for a bit of a drive.

-Nick
TheMightyGonzo

Postby Daytona » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:24 am

Thanks Nick - that's a really kind offer and normally I'd jump at it, but I'm in New Zealand!
Just updated my avatar/profile to show that - I was on the Legacy GT forums, but there is not a whole lot of activity on there (that I could find) related to the H6 engines.

Thanks a bunch - what I'm thinking of doing is putting a muffler/resonator after the y pipe before the catback, Tim mentioned this on one of the other threads so thought I might give it a shot.

Looking really forward to the Raptor headers!
Daytona

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific