Replacing catalytic converters

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: Replacing catalytic converters

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:28 pm

Just replace the whole exhaust, new headers, cats and mufflers and then get it kido tuned. It costs less than half of what subaru are asking, and you end up with a car that performs, sounds and runs better. :D
TheMightyGonzo

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:21 pm

So you're back on track? :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:18 am

Yeah, just waiting on parts right now. In a week or two I should be golden. I may need to borrow your tactrix some time after that to upload a new tune... I can pay you in beer? :)
TheMightyGonzo

Postby sox » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:54 am

Nick, just a update I didn't replace my Cats done a Kido tune deactivated the sensors that give off a false reading/error code on ecu. Car goes harder and faster with no errors. We tested the O2 sensors with normal readings. I have never experience this with any of my 10 cars i have previously owned. It appears like Subaru bullshit they wanted $6500 to replace cats and then a further $1500 to replace sensors and to reset Ecu. Anyway im flying now :D next project will be to get raptor headers,hi flow cats and remove 3rd cat. Do you know anyone that can do this in melb preferably in the northern suburbs?
sox

Car: 2007 MY07 Liberty 3.0 R Spec.B Wagon

Postby Ric B » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Mine has just done the same thing. 126k on the clock and the CEL has come on - did an analysts of the computer read out. cat is not working properly :( .

I like having a quiet exhaust though :roll: .

TheMightyGonzo wrote:
Has your car been tuned, modded and how many kms?

It's completely stock as far as I know, I only bought it 2 months ago and haven't had a chance to start playing with it yet. It's got 126k on the clock.

My local Subaru service centre did the checks to determine it was the cat, i've had it in there 3 times for the same engine light (Turns off for a while after they've looked at it, then will start up again) so I'm inclined to believe them about the cat being stuffed.

I'll book it in with a different mechanic to have a look before I go throwing money at a new exhaust.

If I am going to have to replace them, is there any performance gain to be had from replacing the current cats with high flow ones?
Ric B

Car: Liberty MY07 3.0R Spec B Manual

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 am

sox wrote:Nick, just a update I didn't replace my Cats done a Kido tune deactivated the sensors that give off a false reading/error code on ecu. Car goes harder and faster with no errors. We tested the O2 sensors with normal readings. I have never experience this with any of my 10 cars i have previously owned. It appears like Subaru bullshit they wanted $6500 to replace cats and then a further $1500 to replace sensors and to reset Ecu. Anyway im flying now :D next project will be to get raptor headers,hi flow cats and remove 3rd cat. Do you know anyone that can do this in melb preferably in the northern suburbs?

I'm just waiting on the last few parts before I begin my exhaust overhaul. Once it's all done I'll be able to give some more educated advice, about where to go what, to expect from a new exhaust system etc. If you're interested, I might even try to get some sound files so you know what you're in for.

Here's what I'm putting onto my car anyway:
Raptor Headers
Magnaflow 200CEL cats
3rd cat delete
X-Force catback (single tips)

Ric B wrote:Mine has just done the same thing. 126k on the clock and the CEL has come on - did an analysts of the computer read out. cat is not working properly :( .

I like having a quiet exhaust though :roll:

Ric, getting the car tuned gets rid of the error but won't change anything else about the car. It'll still be quiet, just more fun at the same time :D
TheMightyGonzo

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:10 pm

TheMightyGonzo wrote:Yeah, just waiting on parts right now. In a week or two I should be golden. I may need to borrow your tactrix some time after that to upload a new tune... I can pay you in beer? :)

PM me if you dont have my number :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:25 am

Finally got everything finished.

The car sounds incredible, the XForce catback gives it this really nice note, but put my foot on the clutch and the car is suddenly in stealth mode.
The headers also sound just badass, I've had a big stupid grin on my face every moment I'm behind the wheel.

If anyone is in a position where they have to replace the cats, bear in mind that a completely new exhaust system set me back $1830. Thats a less than HALF of what subaru quoted for changing out the cats.

I'll be posting up pictures once I'm able to get a good view of under the car, and I'll try to get a video file up for anyone who wants to listen to the setup before taking the plunge themselves.

The setup:
Raptor Headers
200cel metal cats from Mangnaflow
Mild steel catback from X force
Deleted 3rd cat
All put together by performance exhaust in vermont.
TheMightyGonzo

Postby Swan_Liberty » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:22 pm

post a sound clip?
Swan_Liberty

Car: PreLift 3.0RB Sedan

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm

http://youtu.be/htPiofNbAWg

It's a lot louder in person, and it has a nice bit of rasp higher up in the rev range.
TheMightyGonzo

Postby Stevo3RB » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:18 pm

Any pics of the setup?

I'm considering something very similar. How have you found the Magnaflow cats? Are they the same as these?

http://www.tuffcarparts.com/index.php?r ... uct_id=306
Stevo3RB

Car: MY07 Liberty Spec B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30828

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Stevo3RB wrote:Any pics of the setup?

I'm considering something very similar. How have you found the Magnaflow cats? Are they the same as these?

http://www.tuffcarparts.com/index.php?r ... uct_id=306

I'll snap some pictures tomorrow morning. Those are the exact cats I've got, and they're working just fine. Haven't had any issues whatsoever, and I still get a silly grin on my face when driving around.

If anyone is considering doing a similar setup and wants to have a look/listen to mine, shoot me a message. Happy to help out however I can.
TheMightyGonzo

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:03 pm

http://imgur.com/a/gXHSX
Took a few pictures of the setup, I'll try and get some better ones next time the car is on stands.
TheMightyGonzo

Postby Stevo3RB » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:57 pm

TheMightyGonzo wrote:http://imgur.com/a/gXHSX
Took a few pictures of the setup, I'll try and get some better ones next time the car is on stands.

Awesome man, thanks. Have you had any clearance issues with the cats at all?
Stevo3RB

Car: MY07 Liberty Spec B wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30828

Postby TheMightyGonzo » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Stevo3RB wrote:Awesome man, thanks. Have you had any clearance issues with the cats at all?

No clearance issues so far with the stock suspension, coil overs are on the cards for the next 12 months or so, but I don't think I'll have any issues unless I try and slam the thing. Still looks like I have 15 cm or more of clearance, so I figure I could drop the car another 5cm. :P
TheMightyGonzo

PreviousNext

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific