H6 Error - P0011

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Re: H6 Error - P0011

Postby SpeedFreak » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Figure i would add to this as well, as i recently had the same issues as others in this thread.

Problem started off with a weird grinding noise that would only happen when the car was accelerating, didn't matter how hard, noise would often start at around 2k rpm and stop around 4k rpm. Also only happened when the car had been driven for a while, 10 - 15km's would usually set the issue off.

Initially i didn't have any check engine lights, but something to me didn't seem right. I immediately checked oil levels, they were fine, so i was a bit confused as to what the problem might be.
Not sold on the fact that the car was working fine, i took the car to a mates and had him check for any error codes. There were no current errors when checked, but there was a pending error code of P0021.
After a bit of research it looked like replacing the oil control valves / solenoids was the go to fix.

I did take the car to a subi dealership's service center to had them look at the issue incase it was something worse. The dealership was close by which was the only reason i took it to them.
Advised them of the pending error code, and of the advice i had found online. They advised they couldn't detect any issues with the car, and they said they found no pending errors. Only errors they saw were something to do with the airbags and battery voltage??.. neither of which my mate picked up with his diagnostic tools. Nor have there been any issues with the airbags or car voltage.. the battery was only recently tested and everything was great. Confused i drove the car home, but still something didn't feel right.

Took the car for a short drive and surly enough, for the first time, the check engine and flashing cruise control lights came on :(
Checked the error codes again, and this time it was showing P0011 and P0021.
P0011 A CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (BANK 1)
P0021 A CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (BANK 2)

Figuring the place i had the car serviced were a bunch of idiots (they also changed the oil and put way too much in, i had to drop the oil again and refill it myself, they also over filled the brake fluid and didn't bleed the brakes properly), decided to buy the solenoids online.
Bought them from PartSouq, same parts as Daytona for the H6
Each solenoid cost $57 USD, which works out about half the price of buying them locally from a subaru parts dealer.

10921AA070
10921AA040
10921AA050 (x2)

Arrived in about 3 business days from dubi to perth.. pretty amazed actually for only $22 shipping.
Replaced the solenoids myself as its a pretty simple job, 1 bolt on each solenoid and a plug connector. Took all of 30 mins to change 4.

Reset the error codes on the ECU and took the car for a few lengthy test drives, did a bit of spirited driving in between, and so far so good. The grinding noise is gone, no more pending error codes, and the car sounds and feels much better again. So far done a total of 100km's after replacing the valves.
Going to keep an eye on it closely for a while, but im fairly sure the issue is resolved.

What i would like to know is why the valves failed.. if anyone has any theories it would be great to hear. Maybe i can avoid doing something in the future that will trigger this to happen. Or maybe as with anything mechanical / electrical, things will wear out over time and require replacing.

Hopefully this post helps someone else, i know Daytona's post helped me.
SpeedFreak

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0R Spec.B

Postby Daytona » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:15 pm

Awesome!
Glad to see that the info helped!

For a quick update, I've been driving now with the replaced solenoids for at least 6000km without issues.

I have no idea why they failed, I do know that cleaning them helped alleviate the problem for a little bit. My guess is that the electrics failed over time maybe causing the the electromagnet to lose strength over time, perhaps causing incorrect amounts of oil to flow? Or the spring wasn't as springy over time? (totally technical terms here) :-P

It's the only issue I've had with the car, best car I've ever had.
Daytona

Postby RX25SE » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:30 pm

SpeedFreak wrote:
P0011 A CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (BANK 1)
P0021 A CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-ADVANCED OR SYSTEM PERFORMANCE (BANK 2)

I had these two pop up after towing for about 2hrs. With the MIL on, the car felt flat with a noticeable drop in power (limp mode) but there were no strange noises.

As I was miles from a scan tool, I just left it but kept an eye on things. After a day or so the MIL reset (must have completed enough warm up cycles) and everything went back to normal.
The scan tool revealed the above codes as pending so I checked the freeze data. All looked OK except that the crank sensor indicated an engine speed of 45,000 RPM.
Not believing that both cam solenoids would fail at the same time it seemed more like the crank sensor issue had caused the ECU to lose track of the cam position resulting in both codes.
Thinking that the crank sensor had a 'moment', I cleared the codes to see if I could replicate the fault.

That was a year and a half ago and I'm still waiting....
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby SpeedFreak » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:21 pm

RX25SE wrote:Thinking that the crank sensor had a 'moment', I cleared the codes to see if I could replicate the fault.

That was a year and a half ago and I'm still waiting....

Very lucky :P

I had cleared the codes a few times, and whilst the car drove fine for a short while, it never took long for a pending P0021 code to pop back up and strange noises to come from the engine bay.
Maybe i wasn't driving the car enough at the time for the ECU to throw a CEL and flashing cruise light. From my understanding the same pending code needs to be thrown once in 2 consecutive drives before the lights will come on, or something like that...

If i had both codes appear at the same time initially, i might have thought the same as you, possible faulty sensor. But given it was only one bank throwing the error, i thought it more likely that it was a solenoid that had failed, or was intermittently failing. Other worse case scenarios also popped into my head but tried not to think about those :)

I did a fair bit of research on a range of forums before committing to buying the new solenoids. Figured worst case it doesn't fix anything and i still have the issue, but im only out of pocket about $250. Which is still under half the price it would have cost to buy the parts from a dealer in AUS, let alone have a mechanic buy the parts as part of troubleshooting, and then charge labor to fit them.
Best case, i fix the issue and it hasn't cost me an arm and leg.

I also wasn't too keen on driving the car with the noises i was hearing from the engine bay. Read too many horror stories of H6's blown up due to oil issues and i just didn't have the cash around to buy a replacement engine.

The cars done about 145,000km, not sure what the expected lifetime for a solenoid is.
SpeedFreak

Postby mitchel009 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:43 am

My 3L R-B my06 started making a vacuum / supercharger sound from the engine this morning, only can hear it when the engine is above 2k and in low gears, im not sure what its from.
was your sound more like this or was it still a grinding noise?
mitchel009

Car: LIBERTY 3.6L 2017 CVT

Postby SpeedFreak » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:44 pm

No, my fault sounded more like a grinding noise or very strange rattle from the engine area.

You probably have a different issue. Checked for error codes at all?

Maybe someone has installed a supercharger without your knowing :D
SpeedFreak

Postby Flat6Estate » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:51 am

Are the Supercharger fairies doing random installs again?
If anyone see them, pass on my address...
MY08 Spec B 3.0L Manual Wagon
1998 Yamaha YZF600R Thundercat - a bit broken :-o
Flat6Estate
formerly Timbo_rs2500

Car: 2007 MY08 Liberty Wagon 3RB 6spd
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32189&p=425885#p425885

Postby drewdayism » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Thought I’d add my experience to this.

I went on a trip from Mudgee to Wollongong and on the way back I filled up at the Barrack Heights Caltex (btw I always put premium 98 fuel in the car). About halfway home I got the CEL light and the cruise control flashing. The car seemed fine on the drive home. Over the next few days I noticed it a bit sluggish and a few times as I was pulling up to an intersection when I would engage the clutch the car stalled.

I did a bit of research and saw it could be something to do with the OCV’s or maybe even the O2 sensor (which I did have a error code about 6 months prior can’t remember exact code but it was in relation to either O2 sensor or cat converter, got the code cleared and car has been fine)

Anyway I got a general service (as it was due) and had the error code cleared and now car running awesome again.

Ha I’m feeling like I might just buy an OBDE thingy to scan and clear the codes as that seems to fix my issues
drewdayism

Car: 2006 Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec-B

Previous

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific