Play in gear change (6 Speed Man)

Posts specific to the 3.0 litre NA H6 engine

Play in gear change (6 Speed Man)

Postby Aladdin_SpecB » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Drove my cousins 5 speed 2.0 GT and the gearbox was so tight, no play, very nice shifting. Jumped into my 3.0RB and the gears feel alot more loose, just wondering if this is normal. Previous owner said he changed the center diff, could that have any effect on it? Im planning to do a full drivetrain checkup on the car soon, replace all bushings, mounts etc.

Thanks in advance :)
[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/12097228374_6e0556a783_o.jpg[/img]
Aladdin_SpecB

Car: 07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Re: Play in gear change (6 Speed Man)

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:55 pm

Personally, I think it's the 6mt shifter itself more so than the bushings.
Obviously if they're knackered or loose, replace them with stock or aftermarket, but I got the feel I sought installing a Cobb sts.
Just check compatibility w/ the h6 6mt.

Or get the lower part of the stock shifter extended by 10-15mm.

Doing aftermarket bushes and sts can result in a rifle bolt shift action with added NVH :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby mynameisdaniel » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Careful with harder bushes. I put in both front and rear COBB shifter bushes, great feel (although there's still some side-side movement due to the design of the linkages). Unfortunately the rear bush lasted about an hour of driving before I ripped it out due to the noise it generated. Front one is okay, will be coming out as well if it doesn't soften up slightly more though.
mynameisdaniel

Car: 07 Subaru Liberty GT tbSTi Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15835

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:23 pm

most likely be your pivot bush at the base of the shifter inside the cabin

i bought a lot of the shifter bushes though installed them in parts as i had time contraints, first was crossmember bushes, added NVH but not too extreme, next was the hardest being the shift linkage bushes, didnt add any NVH took a bit of the shake i had out at high RPM and finally was the pivot bush which took all the slop i had out of the shifter itself, i had nearly 3/4" of play when in gear

so if the slop is all that is annoying you just start with the pivot bush and go from there, i think if i did that i wouldnt have done the rest as it was the main concern of mine
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby alessandro132 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:44 pm

You need lateral linkage bushes and the pivot bushes and you'll be sorted with next to zero increase in NVH.
TEAM TOYOTA | TEAM HKS

Cusco, HPI, HKS, and a few other bits...
alessandro132
-stickered-

Car: 2000 JZX100 Toyota Chaser Tourer V
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16914

Postby The Husband » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:39 pm

I have been having the same problem since the last wheel alignment, I don't think it was related just seemed to notice it more after that time. Are there any linkages or other areas that can come loose over time that I should check first? Or is there a way to confirm it's the bushes before purchasing? BTW we have an 05 3.0R if that changes the recommendations.

Pete
The Husband

Car: Suzuki SV-650

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:32 pm

The Husband wrote:I have been having the same problem since the last wheel alignment, I don't think it was related just seemed to notice it more after that time. Are there any linkages or other areas that can come loose over time that I should check first? Or is there a way to confirm it's the bushes before purchasing? BTW we have an 05 3.0R if that changes the recommendations.

Pete

What sort of issues are you having bro? Hard to give any advice when the parameters aren't described
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:19 am

Just upgrading to a Cobb STS removed enough play from my gear shift feel and there was no need to change shifter bushings.
Make sure you get the Legacy/Liberty specific version where applicable (6MT).

So you may get some improvement just from disassembling the stock shifter, lubing the top and lower pivots and reassembling.

Doing all the bushings* with upgraded items is great for some but tends towards producing a ratchety rifle bolt action that's not to eveyone's liking and may also increase transmitted NVH into the cabin.

*I'm referring to the front shifter stay bushing & rear shifter stay bushing, not the pivot bushing replacements described in Alessandro's post above.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:52 am

I agree with bbbenny the crossmember bushes seemed to add a bit of nvh in my opinion. The pivot was the most significant improvement without adding any nvh

I have a cobb sts coming as soon as tuspeed get them in and send it out :D
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Postby Aladdin_SpecB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:I agree with bbbenny the crossmember bushes seemed to add a bit of nvh in my opinion. The pivot was the most significant improvement without adding any nvh

I have a cobb sts coming as soon as tuspeed get them in and send it out :D

Just upgrading to a Cobb STS removed enough play from my gear shift feel and there was no need to change shifter bushings.
Make sure you get the Legacy/Liberty specific version where applicable (6MT).

So you may get some improvement just from disassembling the stock shifter, lubing the top and lower pivots and reassembling.

Doing all the bushings* with upgraded items is great for some but tends towards producing a ratchety rifle bolt action that's not to eveyone's liking and may also increase transmitted NVH into the cabin.

*I'm referring to the front shifter stay bushing & rear shifter stay bushing, not the pivot bushing replacements described in Alessandro's post above.

Hey guys, I found out after further diagnosis that the previous owner put the shift linkages upside down. lol. Kinda frustrating to be honenst. Ive decided to go a Cobb STS and bush kit. Just looking for a place that sells them in or delivers to Aus. I'll look at Tuspeed, never knew they existed! Thanks heaps guys
[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/12097228374_6e0556a783_o.jpg[/img]
Aladdin_SpecB

Car: 07 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby Shaheenis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Guys I know this is an old thread but I was sitting at the lights the other day and paying attention to the amount of gearstick slop I have in gear in the 6MT stick. It is almost as much as when in neutral. I am going through a bit if a 'renewing worn stuff' stage with the intent to make the car feel newer and tighter. NOTE I do not want a bolt action gear change as BBB has described, just tighter firmer bushes with no NVH increase.

Would Alessandro's links above in post 5 provide what I am looking for? Would these items apply to the Lib 6MT or are they different?

http://www.entra.com.au/tic-06-subaru-s ... -bushings/
http://www.entra.com.au/tic-6mt-lever-pivot-bushings/

I have read another thread were peeps have installed TiC 06-08 STi Bodacious Bushing Bundle which requires under the car action and results in large NVH increase. I don't want this.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby Curley5959 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 pm

I recently installed the Whiteline Positive Shift Kit (http://whiteline.com.au/product_detail4 ... ber=KDT901) and found gear changes to be much more direct and tighter. Not quite a short shifter and probably wouldn't help too much in terms of existing wear and tear, but for $60 it was worth a shot and I am happy with the results.

I don't have too much play at all in my shifter but always found gear changes to be a little sloppy. The Positive Shift Kit tightened it up and I notice no difference in NVH. If anything there may be less vibration through the shifter.
Curley5959

Car: 07 Forester XT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27640

Postby Tradewind » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:14 am

Change the shifter linkage bushes. It's a fair task

There are KARTBOY products or you can use genuine or a mix of both as I did

Either way, its a "replace the shifter linkage bushes" job
2015 Liberty 3.6R (6GEN) - Raptor headers and Raptor SUPER MAF
Tradewind

Car: Grey MY15 6GEN 3.6R - Raptor MAF

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:10 am

Just change your pivot bush and leave it at that. Cheap and will stop the slop with no added NVH
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:21 pm

Brunsy3.0 wrote:Just change your pivot bush and leave it at that. Cheap and will stop the slop with no added NVH

Brunsy I am liking the sound of this. Is this the one that wears the most? That is what I am hoping to replace. I don't really want to modify/replace anything I don't need to.

Regards,
Tim
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Next

Return to 3.0R & 3.6R engine specific